Witcher... here we go again.

Domi

Imho, in terms of sex, the Geralt in this game(I know nothing about the books) sounds more like a male version of some powered-up, ultra-cool heroine where most of the males will do anything to sleep with her.

It's called Mary-Sue :) Or, in case of a male - Gary-Stue.

Overoll, I think your comments boil down to the same "you play as a pre-def character, who exists in the novels" problem. The developer and the novel writer sees Geralt this way, hence you can only play him this way. If the character is not predef, they have to at least consider different PC options.

Hmmm... and unfortunately, the characterisation doesn't seem that interesting enough actually. If it's a pre-definite(female/male/child) character, I don't really mind but the story has to be interesting enough to suck me in. Either that or the gameplay.

Also, I think the game tried to be faithful to the novels but sticking in an amnesiac person sort of fouls things up. That's 'cos there seemed to be at least a few scenarios where he's supposed to be amnesiac but "knew" what he wasn't supposed to.

Plus, I don't like scenarios where everyone is considered "evil". Of course it makes an interesting discussion but a universe where everyone is supposedly killing or backstabbing one another? I find it odd that no one has gone on a mass riot or there's no civil war or that there aren't many fleeing from such a society. After all, it takes just a few days to weeks for a war/riot to start and in a very tense society, even if said civilians don't know how to swordfight, that doesn't stop them from devising underhanded methods to get back at others.

Why do you say everyone was evil?

Shani was utterly good. And quite some of the characters turned out to be good, or at least not evil.

My biggest surprise was Thaler :)

Though he was quite inactive (with a braindead dialogue) after a while.

It was a bit strange that i couldn't talk to the other witchers again, so you couldn't really tell if they were evil or not.

Okay, after having partecipated to this discussion four years ago when it started, I come here again after having played some of The Witcher - Enhanced Edition (I always lag behind with games and that's why I put up my comment now).

In short: a disappointment.

I could not take myself up to finish the first chapter because I was really too bored. The fighting system that's been introduced was not really a welcome novelty, I find the dialogue construction rather poor and the awful animation of the protagonist while running with the sword over his head was simply ridicolous (the overall graphic is not bad at all, mind you).

After a been-there-done-that tutorial, I get to a village where I meet people all looking the same and I cannot help but wonder "This is the enhanced edition where there should be many more character models available? How was it before then?". I enter a bar where I can - oh joy - partecipate at fistfight contests while I am still wondering why nothing of remote interest has happened yet.

Eventually I can't take it anymore and put it back on the its shelf.

I read around that the game blooms from the second chapter onwards but I really have not the patience to invest more time in it. At least not now. Gamespot has a medal called "Suck you in" for some games. Well, this one "spat me out" and it wasn't really what I was expecting.

End of rant.

Archived