Game Text

Macready

Hello -

OK. It's up to Cam, but I can't see that any reasonable changes to the Baldurdash GTU can be a bad thing. I guess as long as you standardized on Quarterstaff, continue as needed. :)

I actually thought about that one quite a bit, because the proficiency itself is listed as "Quarter Staff" (i.e., in character creation and on the char sheet). But in this case I did go with Quarterstaff. For bows, though, I went with "Long Bow" and "Short Bow" rather than "Longbow" and "Shortbow", because the former is more consistently used. I also changed some items that looked like carryovers from BG1 that had types like "Small Sword" and "Large Sword." It was pretty easy to infer from the rest of the text what BG2 type it should be (dagger, 2HS, or whatever).

Honestly, I'm just thrilled someone is looking at the GTU finally. There's a lot of... questionable... changes in it. I think devSin summed up my sentiments fairly well: it was better, slightly, than the existing one and there's nothing comparable. :)

By all means, feel free to start the review and start knocking out changes. Large-scale issues like Quarter Staff v Quarterstaff v Staff are better handled by one person, since they can be done with full-GTU search-and-replaces. I'd suggest trying to tackle a lot of these macro changes first--after that's completed, then we'll chunk the tra so that we can get multiple folks working on it.

Hello -

I got about 500 lines in starting from the top, then decided to switch to item / spell descriptions exclusively, for now.

Have the descriptions been modified to match any changes to the underlying game objects? I happened to use NI to look up the fairy dragon familiar (in my fixpack-modded ToB install) in order to clarify something in its description, and found that its resistances in the .CRE differ somewhat from what is listed in the description.

Do you anticipate this being a recurring problem? That is, should I stop the editorial review of descriptions based on ITMs, CREs and SPLs until they have first been reviewed for accuracy? I ask because I am more interested in spending my time fixing grammar and style than I am in matching descriptions to in-game objects.

(e.g., making sure there are two spaces between the end of one sentence and the start of another).

Does BG2 use a fixed with font or a non-fixed width font? General rule of thumb these days is that you only need to put one space after say a period or before a zip code. The computer handles the rest of that figuring.

Then again, BG2 isn't a word processor, so maybe it is an issue.

Hello -

Does BG2 use a fixed with font or a non-fixed width font?  General rule of thumb these days is that you only need to put one space after say a period or before a zip code.  The computer handles the rest of that figuring.

Then again, BG2 isn't a word processor, so maybe it is an issue.

Judging by the journal text, non-fixed.

I am eyeballing everything anyway (or at least, proceeding as if I am eyeballing everything), so it isn't that hard to pop in spaces where needed. In fact, it forces me to go at a slightly more deliberate pace, which is more conducive to finding things to fix anyway.

Hello -

You know, it'd probably be vastly easier to go the other way--replace all incidences of two spaces with one, since then it's just a mass replace job. (Exclude occurances at the beginning of lines as these will be indentation.)

Yes. But of course this is isn't a hugely important issue -- I doubt if anyone will even notice in the final product. I just go into nitpick mode when I start reading critically. If at the end of the day a one-space convention is deemed more desirable, this could be done as a final step. For now, the practice of adding the spaces is keeping my eyes from glazing over. :)

Hello -

I've completed my review of the item and spell text in the TRA file. Although for the most part I made no attempt to verify the accuracy of statistics, I did make a few changes in cases where I knew the text to be inaccurate. Also, while I may have missed some of the obscure items (i.e., those without a STATISTICS section), I think I put my eyes on just about all of them.

Cam, this would be a good time to grab a copy from the server and resynch.

Hello -

I've completed my review of the item and spell text in the TRA file.  Although for the most part I made no attempt to verify the accuracy of statistics, I did make a few changes in cases where I knew the text to be inaccurate.  Also, while I may have missed some of the obscure items (i.e., those without a STATISTICS section), I think I put my eyes on just about all of them.

Cam, this would be a good time to grab a copy from the server and resynch.

Cheers, got it. Thanks for all the work! :)

If I get a bit of time this weekend, I'll try to chunk this up and post to the wiki. However, anyone should feel free to start working through strings if they want. This is probably as good a place as any to track progress, so if you're working on a block just post the strref range here.

Archived