Cursed Items Mod

Hello!

I have put together a little funny (I hope at least...) minimod which should give a bit more depth to cursed items in Baldur's Gate.

What I need is someone with a little knowledge of WeiDu for packaging it (and perhaps even proofreading of the new text).

Please send me a PM if you are interested, thanks! :)

Link to the mod (only compatible with classic BG).

Edited by Salk

Sorry I can't be of any help, but can I just say this sounds like a great idea?

Hello!

I have put together a little funny (I hope at least...) minimod which should give a bit more depth to cursed items in Baldur's Gate.

What I need is someone with a little knowledge of WeiDu for packaging it (and perhaps even proofreading of the new text).

Please send me a PM if you are interested, thanks! :)

Hello again!

Thanks for the nice appreciation.

I have in front of me three viable solutions for coding this: one is much nicer but I fear it can't be coded, the others are less effective but still an improvement over the vanilla implementation.

Please do not expect anything great. As I mentioned, it's just a little thing.

In the beginning it will apply to Bioware's cursed items but in the future it can be further extended to mods-introduced cursed items as well.

Edited by Salk

Yes... but what exactly does it do? Damn you and your suspense! Why must you keep the tantalising details just out of reach with phrases such as "it's just a little thing" and "should give a bit more depth to cursed items"?

Well,

I am writing here to thank all those who offered their help and to announce that it's our lovely Nythrun who is taking care of the code ( :cool: ).

To answer to Fyorl, the readme will say as little as I have said so far because giving away details spoils the real essence of this mod.

Let me just repeat that it has such a minor impact though that its presence will barely be noticed and make any difference.

Thanks!

A small update:

Nythrun (gracious coder of this minimod) is back and has kindly informed me that she'll resume her work on this minimod soon enough.

Considering the recent new changes made during her absence, I'd estimate Cursed Items is 80% ready and not far from entering testing phase which is going to be internal (i.e. me only).

Thanks to Demivrgvs for accomodating his promising Item Revisions to be fully compatible with Cursed Items.

Thanks!

UPDATE:

I decided to update this thread because I am again in need of a coder to finalize the MiniMod.

The MiniMod has so far been coded entirely by Nythrun who left the modding scene three months ago. I never heard from her since ( :) ). She had time to write most of the code and was going to finish implementing my last requests.

Is there anyone who wants to finish what she started?

It would be extra good if my new partner had a rather good knowledge of the BG2/ToB game since I didn't play BG2 for many years and some specific changes affecting BG2/ToB need to be discussed.

In case you are interested and can help me, please do not hesitate sending me a PM.

I would think that the working time left might take 2-3 hours of coding.

Thanks a lot! :)

Edited by Salk

To be more specific on Fyorl's request for clarification:

What kind of WeiDU-code are you looking for;

Do you have the items? -thus they can be overwritten into the game! Or do you want them to be patched in which case it's a bit harder, I imagine...

Do you have the item descriptions ready? -and want them to be overwrite the ones in game or patch them? Proofread etc.

Or is it dialog you want to make the items have? Item checker, upgrades etc.

Sounds?

Item icons(.bam's) etc. ?

Something I left out?

Perhaps the solution to all your problems might be found here, by using the request form needed. Or updating and dumping the already submitted request.

Edited by jarno mikkola

A little bit more of informations then:

(1) I have the items and all the descriptions are ready (Nythrun had already proofread half of them and came with great suggestions to improve them).

(2) I think that Nythrun has patched the items but being ignorant, I can't give a sure answer about it. What I can say is that all the items have already been worked on. Only that some of them require either changes or additional work.

(3) Sounds are not needed and neither are new .bams

(4) Some exisiting dialogues need to be tweaked to accomodate new situations but it's fairly minor and easy to implement

(5) I decided to update this very post instead of seeking help at SHS's RRF (which is anyway a great place) only because I started things here and already got help from the G3 community. Plus, I would already call this project complete at 80%.

(6) The new coder will need of course to understand and modify pre-existing code (Nythrun's) more than create his/her own.

I think I said everything now... :)

Edited by Salk

Well, I would say that most of the code is rather trivial so I don't think that a person like you, mike1072, would have any problem with it, really.

I might be wrong of course but I can tell you that Nythrun coded up all my requests in a matter of one hour or two (I really like Nythrun a lot, beyond her programming skills).

Things that need to be modified (ex:) is to change the effect of an item from one thing to one other. As I said, very easy.