EET on a tablet!

@StefanO, hmm, I had seen other people with that problem but it never manifested for me before, notwithstanding some pretty big mod installs, so I had forgotten about it when looking at these .debug files. I'll try the fix, thanks.

As for the .zip issue, it has to do with *creating* a .zip archive from too many files, not unzipping one. I use an excellent program called Keka, but it has the same problem that the OS has. I assume the Mac version of 7zip would have the same issue. I put it down to the crufty old file manager or filesystem. (I haven't updated to High Sierra/APFS yet, still using Sierra and HFS+).

Okay, that got over the OS issue, now I have a real install error:

Converting BOX5.PVRZ...
Moving A7-TEXTURECONVERT/TEMP/IN/BOX5.PVRZ to A7-TEXTURECONVERT/TEMP/IN/BOX5.PVR
Copying and patching 1 file ...
[A7-TextureConvert/temp/out/BOX5.PVR] loaded, 32835 bytes
Copied [A7-TextureConvert/temp/out/BOX5.PVR] to [override/BOX5.PVRZ]

Converting BOX6.PVRZ...
Moving A7-TEXTURECONVERT/TEMP/IN/BOX6.PVRZ to A7-TEXTURECONVERT/TEMP/IN/BOX6.PVR
[A7-TextureConvert/temp/out/BOX6.PVR] loaded, 32835 bytes
Copied [A7-TextureConvert/temp/out/BOX6.PVR] to [override/BOX6.PVRZ]

Converting BOX8.PVRZ...
Moving A7-TEXTURECONVERT/TEMP/IN/BOX8.PVRZ to A7-TEXTURECONVERT/TEMP/IN/BOX8.PVR
[A7-TextureConvert/temp/out/BOX8.PVR] loaded, 32835 bytes
Copied [A7-TextureConvert/temp/out/BOX8.PVR] to [override/BOX8.PVRZ]

Converting GUITUT.PVRZ...
Moving A7-TEXTURECONVERT/TEMP/IN/GUITUT.PVRZ to A7-TEXTURECONVERT/TEMP/IN/GUITUT.PVR
ERROR: error loading [A7-TextureConvert/temp/out/GUITUT.PVR]
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Convert PVRZ files -> Texture format: PVRTC 4bpp], rolling back to previous state
[A7-TextureConvert/backup/1/UNSETSTR.1] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
Will uninstall 6103 files for [A7-TEXTURECONVERT/SETUP-A7-TEXTURECONVERT.TP2] component 1.
Uninstalled    6103 files for [A7-TEXTURECONVERT/SETUP-A7-TEXTURECONVERT.TP2] component 1.
Unable to Unlink [A7-TextureConvert/backup/1/READLN.1]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "A7-TextureConvert/backup/1/READLN.1")
Unable to Unlink [A7-TextureConvert/backup/1/READLN.1.TEXT]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "A7-TextureConvert/backup/1/READLN.1.TEXT")
EET/EET.TP2  0  0 Installed
EET_END.TP2  0  0 Installed
ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "A7-TextureConvert/temp/out/GUITUT.PVR")
PLEASE email the file SETUP-A7-TEXTURECONVERT.DEBUG to Argent77

OK, your setence is much clearer than mine. I give you that.

In my mind I was taking to @subtledoctor and @agent77 expecting them to have no problem with my lingo.

You give me what ? No answer to my indirect question of: How should they package their files ? As that was the origin of their comments.

How should their package their files? Most modders use zip archives. That's okay for windows. Compressed tar files for linux and macos because extended file attributes (e.g execution bits) are only part of tar archives if and only if one uses the operating system specific tar command.

This discussion needs a complete other thread than "EET on a tablet".

Zip can store Unix file permissions by using the "external attributes" field inside the ZIP header (using the Info-ZIP standard). The macOS zip/unzip commands will preserve and restore file permissions for archives created on Unix-like OSes.

Still no go. I'm trying with EET installed onto BG2EE v2.3, the desktop variant. And then moving its data, lang, and override folders over to the iPad. Presumably the chitin.key file doesn't like meeting a data folder it is unfamiliar with.

Next try is to:

- Install EET onto the extracted v2.4 version of the game, from the .ipa file. (Can still use SoD v2.3 since all of its assets become mod assets.)

- Extract and convert all of the PVRZ files to an iPad-friendly format.

- Copy /lang, /override, /data, and chitin.key over to the iPad.

If that doesn't work I can try to un-biff the EET resources, or modify EET_core to not biff in the first place. Then I wouldn't have to mess with /data, I could simply copy over the /lang and /override folders. This clearly has the highest chance of working, but it would involve the most work to set it up. So I'll try the other way first.

Edited by subtledoctor

OK, your setence is much clearer than mine. I give you that.

In my mind I was taking to @subtledoctor and @agent77 expecting them to have no problem with my lingo.

You give me what ? No answer to my indirect question of: How should they package their files ? As that was the origin of their comments.

How should their package their files? Most modders use zip archives. That's okay for windows. Compressed tar files for linux and macos because extended file attributes (e.g execution bits) are only part of tar archives if and only if one uses the operating system specific tar command.

This discussion needs a complete other thread than "EET on a tablet".

Zip can store Unix file permissions by using the "external attributes" field inside the ZIP header (using the Info-ZIP standard). The macOS zip/unzip commands will preserve and restore file permissions for archives created on Unix-like OSes.

Sorry, I know it's off topic. But how do I do that? The zip program that comes with MacOS is pretty old (V3, April 2009). I've searched for "external attributes" in the man pages and found nothing.

Sorry. I've should have tested it before posting. zip does preserve file permissions as you said.

Edited by StefanO

Sigh. I'm not terribly surprised. Mac OS updates have seemed less and less useful ever since Mountain Lion in ~2012 (which I maintain is the best consumer operating system ever made). When I try to make a .zip archive of the contents of my override folder, MacOS sits there thinking for an hour and never gets it done. But if I drop the folder into a virtualized (!) Win7 partition, it zips 17,000 files in a few seconds. SAD.

I blame this ancient, crufty piece of junk they call the Finder.

I've made some tests myself and can't reproduce your problem.

There are 29095 file in the override folder of an EET+somemods installation. The MacOS zip program needed 30s to compress the folder. The zip archive size is 485 MB. That's neither good (7z needed only 16s) nor bad.

Are you compressing the folder? Or highlighting (cmd-A) the 29,000 files inside the folder, and compressing them?

That's where I am seeing a difference. It can compress the folder just fine. It's handling 20,000 files that trips it up. The results of the two operations are identical, which is why it seems weird that the OS can handle one but not the other.

EDIT - actually maybe the results are not identical; after all it does seem to make a difference in how mod files can be loaded into the v2.4 iOS games...

Edited by subtledoctor

Are you compressing the folder? Or highlighting (cmd-A) the 29,000 files inside the folder, and compressing them?

That's where I am seeing a difference. It can compress the folder just fine. It's handling 20,000 files that trips it up. The results of the two operations are identical, which is why it seems weird that the OS can handle one but not the other.

EDIT - actually maybe the results are not identical; after all it does seem to make a difference in how mod files can be loaded into the v2.4 iOS games...

Yes, I'm compressing a folder. And I'm using the command line for nearly everything, because I'm used to unix/linux for decades.

But even on the command line: If I simulate your mark-all-and-compress method by running the zip command with a parameter list of 20000 filenames, it simply fails:

override> zip ../test.zip *
-bash: /usr/bin/zip: Argument list too long

Even if I circumvent that shell limit with

echo * | xargs zip -q ../test.zip

it's 20% slower (compared to the zip run using the folder name). Is there a reason for not using the folder name?

Edited by StefanO

Yes, I'm compressing a folder...

If I simulate your mark-all-and-compress method by running the zip command with a parameter list of 20000 filenames, it simply fails

That's what I'm saying. Windows has zero problem with that. Honestly, in this day and age, if Baldur's Gate can run smoothly with 20,000 files in the override folder and no biffing, then I damn well expect a modern, professional operating system from the most valuable and profitable company in history to be able to perform operations on 20,000 files.

It matters because zipping the files together - not zipping the folder containing the files - is the tested and confirmed method to mod the iOS version of BGEE. (Although I've found a workaround so whatever.)

Update: I adapted the code from your mod, argent77, into the installation code of Lava's "Southern Edge" mod. On the theory that it will make it easier to test if it only has to convert a few .PVRZ files.

Everything seems to install and process correctly, but the mod still crashes when I try to enter the area on an iPad. :(

I've made biffing optional to make the conversion possible (new weidu flag will be available in next release). The problem is that unbiffed TISv1 files (I think) seems to have problem with displaying correctly:

Considering the problem doesn't exist when all art files are biffed I assume this has something to do with weidu not extracting TIS header correctly. I remember argent77 mentioning --h flag that should be used with --big-get-rest, but it doesn't seem to be supported anymore by weidu (or at least I don't know how to use it correctly). Any ideas?

edit: false alarm, forgot to include 1 directory.

Edited by K4thos

I get this error when trying to install eet_core in the iOS game folder:

FAILURE:
Baldur's Gate II executable not found

Any idea what the problem it?  Or, what part of the EET code this is at, so I can poke around and see what it was trying to do?