Script Editor

lalolalo9

Hello world.

I'm ripping Cirerrek's AI scripts for use in Icewind dale EE. For that I'm using Nearinfinity in-built text editor, however the comments always gets deleted when I compile the code. So I was wondering how one could customise the auto-comment feature of Near Infinity.

I think it's the auto-comment feature cause, whenever a symbolic name for a spell, a string reference number or the item file string gets used, it will be automatically commented with the Spell Res file, the actual string text and name of the item.

Greetings

Lalolalo9

Well, if you like, you can "code" the files as .baf's that are just renamed .txt files, using Notepad for example, and then compile them with Near Infinity into the game. Or with renamed weidu.exe ...

In .baf's, the // quotes out the rest of the line, while the /* -mark quotes out the lines before the */ -mark.

There is no way to preserve comments in compiled script code (BCS). The comments seen in NI are automatically generated from the resources and symbols found in the scripts and can vary depending on your current game configuration or language. You can disable them in more recent NI versions via Options > Script Compiler > Interactive script and resource names.

If you really need comments for future reference you have to save them as BAF (as suggested by Jarno) and manually compile them either with Near Infinity or WeiDU when needed.

Well that sounds like a good suggestion. But as I'm easily lost in lines of lines of lines of code and need to test every single IF THEN END block it could take quite a while.

Does anyone already have a user-defined languuage for this in Notepad++?

Another thought I had is whether one can easily add more stuff to the Interactive script and resource names? If not would messing with the sourcecode (Only this specific function) be a good idea?

Thought WeiDu =/= NI...

Well, it's not, but the base structures need to be the same as they both just edit the base game. And as they do that, both tools had to co-operate or neither would have really succeeded, and argent77 decided to support the .baf's. Have you ever heard of ShadowKeeper, Infinity Explorer, Dragon Lance Total Conversion Editor Pro, Infinity Engine Save Explorer... nope. you can't google them, well you can but that's besides the point. Those are just a few. All for different things.

Archived