BG1/BGEE Items

Demivrgvs

World's Edge

... Mike already asked me to work on this weapon, though I'm reluctant to do so because I would have to find a new bam/icon for it as well as something unique to make it stand out (kinda hard considering we already have tons of greatswords).

@Mike, I forgot to ask, am I wrong assuming that within BGEE you get Harbinger while within BGT you get World's Edge?

• World's Edge artwork is unique (see Dakk's link).
  • Vanilla BGEE and Tutu have World's Edge. BGT has World's Edge AND Harbinger. (The beta IR unintentionally replaces World's Edge with Harbinger in BGEE, but that is easily fixed.)

1. Yeah, but that bam is already used by the Sword of Chaos now. I may be able to find another bam/icon, but even then my second point remains: I have no ideas left right now to make World's Edge unique.
2. the beta intentionally "replaces" World's Edge with Harbinger in BGEE because that was the original. If BGT have both weapons, is one of the two moved somewhere else?

Overall, I'd probably vote to simply keep only Harbinger (it's already fully developed and kinda unique too). Don't you think that having three heavily enchanted greatswords within BG1 is a bit too much? We may also re-use World's Edge nice lore/background, assigning it to IR's Warblade. The latter has a relatively poor lore now, and World Edge's one seems tailor made to expand it!

If BGT have both weapons, is one of the two moved somewhere else?

No.

Remember, the BGT is BG1 + BG2, so you don't need to move one to have both. Well, yeah, it got recoded as a different (bgsw2h07)itm file, but that's what's what with non TCs do. Got the itm file from your own post there...

We may also re-use World's Edge nice lore/background, assigning it to IR's Warblade. The latter has a relatively poor lore now, and World Edge's one seems tailor made to expand it!

The two have nothing tying them to each others, so you should never use them in such a hackish way.

Something's pretty messed up with this BB code editor... I can't quote your latest post, Demi, without all hell breaking loose.

the beta intentionally "replaces" World's Edge with Harbinger in BGEE because that was the original.

What? There is no Harbinger in vanilla BG1 or BGEE. There is only The World's Edge. Our replacement is currently just an unintended consequence of how the files are named. We're only now talking about whether we SHOULD be replacing it.

If BGT have both weapons, is one of the two moved somewhere else?

BGT does not move the items. In the BG1 portion of the game, you find The World's Edge where The World's Edge is supposed to be, and in the BG2 portion of the game, you find Harbinger where Harbinger is supposed to be. BGT introduces The World's Edge with a different filename from what it had in BG1 so that this is possible.

These are completely different items and the filenames have no bearing on this issue whatsoever except as a simple technical matter.

There is no Harbinger in vanilla BG1 or BGEE. There is only The World's Edge. Our replacement is currently just an unintended consequence of how the files are named. We're only now talking about whether we SHOULD be replacing it.

I and Arda were aware that the Harbinger was going to replace World's Edge within BG1 (and BGEE too), and we also thought its lore/concept was fine for its BG1 allocation. I actually had no idea that within BGT we still had WE instead of Harbinger until you gave me that info months ago.

We may also re-use World's Edge nice lore/background, assigning it to IR's Warblade. The latter has a relatively poor lore now, and World Edge's one seems tailor made to expand it!

The two have nothing tying them to each others, so you should never use them in such a hackish way.

They are both legendary barbarian greatswords, with relatively plain design (aka no indication of strange non-martial powers).

There is no Harbinger in vanilla BG1 or BGEE. There is only The World's Edge. Our replacement is currently just an unintended consequence of how the files are named. We're only now talking about whether we SHOULD be replacing it.

I and Arda were aware that the Harbinger was going to replace World's Edge within BG1 (and BGEE too), and we also thought its lore/concept was fine for its BG1 allocation. I actually had no idea that within BGT we still had WE instead of Harbinger until you gave me that info months ago.

Ah, okay. I thought from the lack of any change in BGT that you were just going along with it because of the filename. Well, you know my opinion is to leave World's Edge alone until we have time to make it unique.

Warblade, World Edge: They are both legendary barbarian greatswords, with relatively plain design (aka no indication of strange non-martial powers).

Yeah, and while the other sword was lost to the Durlag's Tower for what, a hundred year, the other could not be ever made, and then perhaps the sword picked up by the player is lost in his journey to the Amn, or sold along, it's picked up by a dirty thief who sells the item to a legit item banter, who then gets to sell it back to the player, with no extra explanations. That's unbelievable.

Did you use the PnP Albruin effects somewhere btw, quoting from a copy I made of the Item Index in 2010 ( :D ):

Albruin +2
Special Abilities (once per day):
Detect Invisibility
Equipped Abilities:
Immunity to poison effects
Cure Wounds: the blade automatically heals the wielder of 2d8+10 hit points, once if he drops below 50% of his maximum health, and once if he drops below 25%

THAC0: +2 bonus
Damage: 1D10 + 2

Notes: I've found its PnP version in the "Champions of Valor" manual, and it's an intelligent +3 silvered sword which can cast Cure Moderate Wounds 3xday, Invisibility Purge 3xday, and Neutralize Poison 1xday (wielder only). It's currently vey difficult to find this semi-secret sword, I'll think about making it more easy to be found.

This topic is getting a bit unwieldy, with lots of outstanding item issues. I'll try to collate all the questions in a bit.

Firstly though I'd like to add something that I just remembered the other day: there's no regenerative items whatsoever in BG1 as far as I know. No item, armor, weapon or anything have a regen-effect. This I feel would be something great to add. Even a cruddy slow regenerative effect could be quite good in BG1 as it would allow healing while travelling, instead of taxing the low or non-existent healing spells and dito potions.

This topic is getting a bit unwieldy, with lots of outstanding item issues. I'll try to collate all the questions in a bit.

Firstly though I'd like to add something that I just remembered the other day: there's no regenerative items whatsoever in BG1 as far as I know. No item, armor, weapon or anything have a regen-effect. This I feel would be something great to add. Even a cruddy slow regenerative effect could be quite good in BG1 as it would allow healing while travelling, instead of taxing the low or non-existent healing spells and dito potions.

There is one - Cloak of the Wolf. 1/12 sec regeneration. Personally, I'd tweak all items with regen properties as to allow one out of 3 possible regenerations:

1) 1/9 sec - "slow" regen

2) 1/6sec - "medium" (Ring of Regen, Gaxx)

3) 1/3 - "fast" - Troll Hide armor

1/12 is only useful for traveling, which forces imo bad gameplay (equiping such items only while traveling/resting).

Another way to regenerate is creating a dwarf/half-orc and giving him 19 CON, then using Tome of Bodily Health to raise it to 20 (I do raise regen rates for "epic" constitution in my game - vanilla has 1/60 sec for 20 CON, while I make 1/16 seconds for 20 con, then each point in CON makes it slightly faster - 2 sec per point of constitution, up to 1hp/6 sec per 25 constitution score)

Ah correct you are with SR, as it presumably modifies Relair's Mistake. So with SR: one (1) item - a cloak - with 1/12 regen. Without SR: NO regen in BG1.

I wouldn't mind just a tiny bit more regenerative items.

While on this topic, have anyone Relair's Mistake (aka. Cloak of the Wolf) it in BG1? The werewolf form seems like it could be OP for earlish BG1?

As for the Bg2EE Items... They are in a much better shape than the BGEE ones. They all (almost) have an item background and unique bams (icon and description image - some of them really beautiful). I think they are a much better and satisfying base to work with.

As for the Bg2EE Items... They are in a much better shape than the BGEE ones. They all (almost) have an item background and unique bams (icon and description image - some of them really beautiful). I think they are a much better and satisfying base to work with.

I know, do you also know why? Because they let aVENGER and Arda work on them. Too bad I was not involved on EE. :D

Ah correct you are with SR, as it presumably modifies Relair's Mistake. So with SR: one (1) item - a cloak - with 1/12 regen. Without SR: NO regen in BG1.

I wouldn't mind just a tiny bit more regenerative items.

While on this topic, have anyone Relair's Mistake (aka. Cloak of the Wolf) it in BG1? The werewolf form seems like it could be OP for earlish BG1?

Could you tell me what SR is?

My life would be way easier if I could pass the item along for some regen resting in BG1.

Archived