Alternatives v11: Bugs? Typos? Report them here.

jastey

Could you upload the file AR0511.BCS from your override folder here?

Then, if you don't mind an experiment, take the file AR0511.txt that I attached here, rename it AR0511.BCS and put it in your override folder instead. I modified the part of the script that Jastey pasted above, changing the positions of the two NPCs that Alternatives adds to the second floor. I doubt it will make a difference, but it doesn't hurt to try.

AR0511.txt

Thanks - I decompiled the script you uploaded and it looks correct (original area script with the Alternatives additions at the top).

Can you upload your saved game from before the crash? I'll try replicating it after installing Alternatives on a clean game.

Do you have any AR0511 files in your game directory's temp, tempsave or cache folders?

It's the last save before I became aware of the problem: 000000123-separation.zip

Under cache, there's only AREA050A.bif and AREA0500.bif. The others are empty.

Edit

Some news: Waukeen's place is also making the game crash, just after I accepted Aster's offer.

For a non-exhaustive check of the remaining saves, Waukeen's is now affected systematically after chapter 3 aside from a brief moment when a cinematic is playing (thieves guild meeting in this case); with one random save and one after getting momentarly 15k gold(then removed via Shadow Keeper) but not with another random one in chapter 2; and accessible without trouble when getting out of Irenicus donjon. 2nd floor of the flagons remains affected in all cases.

But that becomes better; Even when both non-patch mods are desactivated, Waukeen's can't be reached in last save before bug. Also, I formally recall going on Waukeen's area before creating Aster in the 1st floor and accepting the quest.

Conclusion; I do not longer assume that Alternatives is implicated, as I can't discern the specifics of what provokes the crash. I'm a little short in time for further saves check, but I will keep an eye here as well as report any solution that I may find.

Even when both non-patch mods are desactivated, Waukeen's can't be reached in last save before bug

In principal: Not everything gets removed if a mod is deinstalled, if you already visited an area, for example, then mod characters will stay (although stripped off their dialogue etc.).

Random crashes can be caused by faulty ambient sounds or animations.

As far as I can see, Alternatives does not change Waukeen's Promenade, though. It doesn't add an actor, neither are animations or something like that added or changed by the mod.

This is really weird and I am sorry that you are unable to continue your game. I have absolutely no clue what could be the problem.

Something else you can try - if you install TobEx, you can enable extra debug logging by editing TobEx_ini\TobExCore.ini and setting the options under the [Debug] section to 1. Whatever is logged just before a crash is sometimes (not always) related.

As Jastey pointed out, you should probably put back the same mods you had installed originally first, so that the area data in your saved game (which probably includes references to those mods) finds the mod files that it expects.

Playing on BGT.

I missed the part where Aster said that someone would be waiting for me at the door of the Shadow Thieves' lair with the key to the secret hideout. I actually got the key off of Gaelan Bayle, strolled right in, and slaughtered everyone. Upon exiting, I missed the guy again and wait straight back to Aster. She actually went through her whole dialog of "pay me 15,000" like I had never talked to her the first time. That's when I saw that I was supposed to talk to a dude.

I reloaded the autosave on exiting the Docks. I went back and saw the guy was still waiting patiently for me by the door. (Didn't he notice me go in and then come out some time later?) I talked to him this time and he gave me another key. Since everyone inside was already dead, I just hightailed over to Aster to whom I could now acknowledge that I had indeed killed everyone in the compound.

How did you get the key from Gaelan?

Gaelan.cre and Gaelan2.cre both have Misc4s (Cellar Key) in their inventory. It is not stealable but the dead cre drops it. Gaelan has a minhp item but Gaelan2 has not. So after you had the initial talk about the money they want from you, you can kill him for the key (for whatever reason).

PS - this seems to be vanilla game. According to changelog the cre's are not modified.

Seems like adding a block to the cellar area script to set a global for Aster and adding another block outside to remove the waiting NPC (with extra key) if that global is set could resolve this inconsistency without any new dialogue.

Seems like adding a block to the cellar area script to set a global for Aster and adding another block outside to remove the waiting NPC (with extra key) if that global is set could resolve this inconsistency without any new dialogue.

The guard outside (Harrold) has a script assigned b!stdoor.bcs which is empty.

It could be used and filled with this

IF

Global("B!AltGuardSpawn","AR0300",1)

See([PC])

NumberOfTimesTalkedTo(0)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

Dialogue([PC])

END

The problem here being that this guy looks like any other guard and is not initiating dialog. This is why you may miss him, like reported (speaking from own experience). He has this script planned for him but it is not used.

How did you get the key from Gaelan?

Aster had already given me the mission to eliminate the Shadow Thieves. Gaelan was hostile when I went into his hideout in the slums, so I killed him and snagged the key off his body.

I agree that having the guard automatically to you and hand you the key would be a simple fix for the problem.

One other thing: The journal entry is still the same as if you had agreed to Gaelan's terms rather than Aster. There also isn't a journal entry created when Aster gives you the mission to eliminate the Shadow Thieves (which could also mention the waiting guard). Nor is there a journal entry when Aster sends you to the vampire hideout.

I seem to have a bug with BG2EE version. I performed the assassination at Vulova estate, returned to Malificus at Mithrest Inn, chose not to take the last mission so gave him 50,000, then went to the lighthouse where he is still requesting 50,000 (which I no longer have). Not sure if this is bug or he is trying to pull one over on me....

I am a loss here. All Alternatives does to the area 2nd floor flagons is spawning these two creatures and setting some variables (putting this here for another pair of eyes to spot something I missed):

IF 
    Global("B!Alternatives","GLOBAL",4) 
    Global("B!AsterSpawn","AR0511",0) 
THEN 
    RESPONSE #100 
        CreateCreature("b!aster",[1202.732],3)
        SetGlobal("B!AsterSpawn","AR0511",1) 
        Continue() 
END 

IF 
    InMyArea("b!aster")
    GlobalGT("AsylumPlot","GLOBAL",1)
    Global("B!AsterSpawn","AR0511",1)
THEN 
    RESPONSE #100 
        ActionOverride("b!aster",DestroySelf())
        SetGlobal("B!AsterSpawn","AR0511",2) 
        Continue() 
END 

IF 
    Global("B!VhellonSpawn","AR0511",0) 
THEN 
    RESPONSE #100 
        CreateCreature("b!vhelon",[777.396],4) 
        SetGlobal("B!VhellonSpawn","AR0511",1) 
        Continue() 
END 

If the two characters do not crash the game (e.g. by a missing animation or something like this), I am clueless. I know berelinde coded her mods with the G3 fixpack installed, but since all Alternatives does is patching the area's script with the above blocks, I don't know what would make the area crash if it is installed. I have to put this on the list until someone is able to replicate this. (Sorry for not being much help, although if you now can talk to Aster after cheating her in, you'll probably be able to go the paladin's route to Spellhold.)

Since the actions of creating single creature or setting a variable are one-way traffics, probably the Continue() action is redundant, 'cause I find that SetGlobal action has a terrible delay to affect(seems only in scripts, in dialogs it works well enough).

Archived