2 Bugs

Guest Chronis

Good idea, I say. I'd check others, not just Imoen, for consistency - it might be that someone else leaves at high enough rep, too.

Since I am the once pushing for change here I'll check the dialog and script files for everyone and let you know if I find any triggers that are higher then they should be. I know for imoen she has a trigger in her dialog file for her to leave at happiness < 0 which = rep less then 9.

Ok for Imoen, she has two problems with her current code, the big one is in the

_Imoen2.dlg file where she has a code that initiates her to leave if the PC initiates dialog and her happiness is less then 0. To make her behavior consistent with BGII I would recommend removing this block.

the code is question from _Imoen2.dlg is

_Imoen2.dlg

IF WEIGHT #27 /* Triggers after states #: 5 19 27 42 57 67 77 92 104 105 115 116 117 118 119 120 210 233 284 287 288 322 352 371 376 396 even though they appear after this state */

~HappinessLT(Myself,0)

~ THEN BEGIN 4 // from:

SAY #87122 /* ~Well good! You've changed since we were friends anyway. Not nearly as much fun now. Should have stayed in Candlekeep, instead of wasting time with you gully pennies.~ */

IF ~~ THEN DO ~LeaveParty()

~ EXIT

END

A second smaller problem is in the _ImoenP.dlg. If you kick her out of the group and her happiness is less then 0 she leaves forever. In BGII she had a angry leaving comment but that was only triggered if her happiness was less then -290 and even then you could get her to join the group again. For consistency I would replace

this code from the _ImoenP.dlg

IF ~HappinessLT(Myself,0)

~ THEN BEGIN 3 // from:

SAY #87122 /* ~Well good! You've changed since we were friends anyway. Not nearly as much fun now. Should have stayed in Candlekeep, instead of wasting time with you gully pennies.~ */

IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("IHATEYOUALL","LOCALS",0)

ChangeAIScript("",DEFAULT)

LeaveParty()

EscapeArea()

~ EXIT

END

with this slightly modified code from BGII

Revised _ImoenP.dlg

IF ~HappinessLT(Myself,-290)

~ THEN BEGIN 3 // from:

SAY ~All right, fine. If that's the way you want to be, go ahead and be pig-headed. You've changed since we were friends anyway. Not nearly as much fun now. I'll be at the Friendly Arm Inn... you can find me there, I suppose, if you ever want to.~

IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("KickedOut","LOCALS",1)

EscapeAreaMove("ar0406",504,1493,0)~ EXIT

END

These changes would make her behavior in BGI the same as it is in BGII

I will look through the other NPCs and let you know if I find any other problems. I may take me a couple of weeks to get around to it though as I have my Step II exam coming up and I am going to be super busy.

That's a principle discussion, I think, whether the NPCs should leave forever if unhappy or not. For me, it is original BG1 behaviour that Imoen does leave, although instead of happiness < 0 it could be adjusted to -290 (or what the number is).

In BGII, Imoen will stick to you because you travelled together at the SC, but that doesn't mean she couldn't have left in BG1, though. Meaning, I think it is logical that she doesn't leave in BGII, since it assumes she didn't leave in BG1, thus the PC's rep wasn't too low, if you know what I mean. :)

I don't have a strong opinion either way. Having her leave at a low happiness value (imoen is not as attached to you in BGI as she will become in BGII) or making her behavior consistent (imoen will stick with you no matter what).

A good argument can be made both ways. If she does leave a script addition should have her initiate dialog. Right now she will never leave on her own if unhappy. She just sticks around until the PC initiates a force talk and then she leaves.

Personally I favor making her behavior match a neutral character. She will stick around longer then most good characters, but if your rep drops to 1 she takes off.

As an aside NPC leaving values would have been a perfect place to make Charisma actually matter. I can maybe see Imoen leaving at a rep of 8 or so if the PC has a Charisma of 3. But I am getting off topic =)

Right now she will never leave on her own if unhappy. She just sticks around until the PC initiates a force talk and then she leaves.
That doesn't make much sense, that's right. I guess it's a left-over from the original BG1 leave-unhappy dialogue, when no player initiated dialogues were existent... It should be adjusted so it gets triggered by an unhappy check, not upon initiating dialogue (if at all, but I favour preserving the original game's intention).

Did you have a look at other NPC's behaviour? I think all have the leave if unhappy dialogue in their dialogue file, but for which value of unhappiness?

Guest Guest_Chronis_*

Just Ajantis and only briefly. He seems to have a similar problem to imoen, but I need to look at it more carefully to be sure. I will look through everyone and post here but not until Dec as I don't have time atm.

Archived