Question about using existing artwork and sounds

ericp07

Hello,

The protagonist I use for testing BGII mods is the character I'd like to use as the basis of a joinable NPC mod, a female Sylvan Elf ranger and champion of Mielikki. For her portrait, I've been using cropped versions of a piece by fantasy artist Luis Royo, and for her soundset, I've been using one I can no longer find on the 'net called Sorscha, the perfect soundset for a devout worshipper of the Lady of the Forest, IMHO :) I'm concerned about whether or not it would be a violation to use either or both of these as part of the mod package. If I can possibly contact whoever created the soundset, I could ask permission and give proper credit. I doubt I'd be able to contact Mr. Royo about this, or if I'd get a response if I did. So, I put it to you good folk here. Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks,

Eric

If you mean Sorschana soundset then I think you want this site: http://www.merrymeet.com/voxpopuli/

For the artwork I wouldn't be too concerned about using established fantasy artists work for an npc. So long as you don't plan to sell your npc mod for money online and don't stand to gain anything I don't think there will be too much problem. Though the standard recommendation is to request a custom portrait at one of the various forums around, providing the original as an example of the look/feel you require.

I would recommend doing everything custom or using resources that specifically say that you have permission to use them, just to be on the safe side. This way, if your mod is released and doing well and all of a sudden the artist decides to jump in and say, "Oh! Never mind, I don't want you using my stuff." and then you are left scrambling for new media.

If you mean Sorschana soundset then I think you want this site: http://www.merrymeet.com/voxpopuli/

For the artwork I wouldn't be too concerned about using established fantasy artists work for an npc. So long as you don't plan to sell your npc mod for money online and don't stand to gain anything I don't think there will be too much problem. Though the standard recommendation is to request a custom portrait at one of the various forums around, providing the original as an example of the look/feel you require.

Yes, I believe that's the soundset. I'm downloading a fresh copy now. I have no desire for monetary gain from whatever comes of the mod I want to develop. As for custom work, something tells me that's really the way to go, as an already created artwork can come only so close to capturing the concept. I've got a few pictures I use for the character, so providing those would probably be helpful.

Thanks,

Eric

Archived