How do you go from dialogue text to .D

Ascension64

I was coding directly into D forevar, but now I have to write plain texts for NWN2, so I use sort of bastardized D format without the coding thinggies. I also never use the non-numeric state references, because that's the way to lose an option imo. Another things that helps me is that I always write 'bottom to top', ie the earliest option I written out ends up the last, and the freshest - the first. (This is an unedited fresh off the grill text, I am just far too lazy to repalce the lines) :

Door: (Having have vanquished the Harpers, you now face a sturdy door locked and barred against them.)

PC Option (Str >12): (Put your shoulder to the door.) P#Door_1

PC Option (Dex>12): (You search the doorframe and find a barely noticeable imprint of a palm. Press your palm against it.) I am a Deathstalker. Let me enter. P#Door_2

PC Option (Con>12 and have explosives from Shanna’s body): (Set the globe of blasting at the door and activate it.) P#Door_3

PC Option (Wis>12 or Intel>12 or Saemon said his piece): (Knock on the door.) Doorkeeper, the Harpers are dead. Open up! P#Door_4

PC Option (CHA >12): Ah, I was ever wondering if I could charm wood and metal. P#Door_5

PC Option: Hmm, let’s see if the priests were kind enough to bring the keys. P#Door_6

PC Option (at least one of the chars in the party): Well, what do we do now? P#Door_7

PC Option (appears the second time the character tries the door): (Pull the door handle with a resigned sigh.) P#Door_8

P#Door_8

Door: (The door does not budge, then you hear the sounds of the bars being withdrawn, a key turned in the lock, and the door smoothly opens up for you.)

Doorkeeper: You sure took your sweet time ridding us of the Harper rubble. Well, at least you’ve done better than old Nefrey here. So much to clean up now….

END

P#Door_1

Door: (The door flies of the hinges.)

//character gets a small damage

Doorkeeper: Ye gods, was it so difficult to <I>knock</I>? Now we’ll have to repair the whole thing. (Sigh.) And the cleaning… ah, rats.

END

Any text editor with a "find and replace" function. I like Crimson Editor, but other folks swear by ConTEXT.

Beyond that, it really depends on how the text is written. If it's written as pseudo-code, like Kulyok suggested, it's pretty easy, but if it's written in narrative form, like a novel, then it takes a lot more editing.

Archived