cmorgan

Celvan isn't an I_C_T or even a regular commentary, just a bit-player (well of *course* he is a bit-player; it is a computer game, after all) who has a chance of saying things about party members he really shouldn't know. He's fun, in a quick-check-a-couple-of-times-and-then-forget-he-exists kind of way.

His standard code gives a 50% chance of playing a party member's info; example: Minsc

CODE

IF WEIGHT #1 /* Triggers after states #: 9 even though they appear after this state */

~See("Minsc")

InParty("Minsc")

!StateCheck("Minsc",STATE_SLEEPING)

RandomNum(2,1)

Global("celvanminsc","AR0300",0)~ THEN BEGIN 0 // from:

SAY ~"There once was a warrior true,

with the sense knocked out of him, too.

but in a hamster he found,

some wisdom profound,

and now where goes he goes his Boo!"~ /* #25448 */

IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("TalkedToCelvan","LOCALS",1)

SetGlobal("celvanminsc","AR0300",1)~ EXTERN ~MINSCJ~ 48

END

Most modders seem to want their code to always play once, leaving out the RandomNum(2,1). I'm sticking to BioWare™ Standard, though - it is more fun to see all the possible reactions by playing the lottery with him. He'll even comment on PC.

The format is limerick, the topics are things he shouldn't be able to know, and the poetic standards are lower than low. If you have wishes for masterpieces of Iambic Pentameter, this is definitely *not* the place for it! smile.gif

To add him in,

CODE

/* Crazy Celvan Encounter */

CHAIN IF WEIGHT #-1 ~InParty("c-aran") See("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)

RandomNum(2,1) Global("c-arancelvan","AR0300",0)~ THEN CELVAN c_celvanreaction

~"There once was a scribe, so I'm told,

whose cooking was warm, jokes quite old. || whose cooking was warm, humor old.

In combat a lion,

in bed not half tryin',

But never a word less than bold!"~

DO ~SetGlobal("c-arancelvan","AR0300",1)~

== C-ARANJ ~[ARAN] Helm's Heavy Hand, that lad knows more than be good for his health, eh? Mayhap listenin' at one too many keyholes.~

END CELVAN 1

From Autumn Bard, a suggestion to change "jokes quite old" to humor

And a second idea; "Add Your Own Aran Limerick". She wrote up a sample, and others are welcome to do so as well - the way it is currently scripted, only one would play per game, but part of this mod is the use of random numbers to generate different pathways/results on successive games for replayability. And I do have many bit-players having multiple dialog possibilites - Erika and Aran in the Inn have a dozen or so interchanges, I think, so it is not much of a stretch to add a few more of these to Celvan. You can put your author credit up or do it anonymously via post or PM, whatever suits your fancy!.

So if folks want to add their own suggestions, scripting them in is pretty easy - just toss up a limerick here. No need to be shy - Aran certainly isn't :)

/* Author: Autumn Bard */

There once was a scribe from a coster,

Made curry so spicy it accost' her.

In combat a lion,

A' courtin' hard tryin',

Maidens a' swoon at his auster.

And coded,

/* Crazy Celvan Encounter : by cmorgan */
CHAIN IF WEIGHT #-1 ~InParty("c-aran") See("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
Global("c-arancelvan","AR0300",0) RandomNum(3,1)~ THEN CELVAN c_celvanreaction1
~"There once was a scribe, so I'm told,
whose cooking was warm, humor old.
In combat a lion,
in bed not half tryin',
But never a word less than bold!"~
== C-ARANJ ~[ARAN] Helm's Heavy Hand, that lad knows more than be good for his health, eh? Mayhap listenin' at one too many keyholes.~
END CELVAN 1

/* Crazy Celvan Encounter : by Autumn Bard */
Global("c-arancelvan","AR0300",0) RandomNum(3,2)~ THEN CELVAN c_celvanreaction2
~"There once was a scribe from a coster,
Made curry so spicy it accost' her.
In combat a lion,
A' courtin' hard tryin',
Maidens a' swoon at his auster."~
END CELVAN 1

Archived