Problem with Icewind dale 2 widescreen

Vaughan

Hello,

I recently installed IWD2 and the widescreen mod. Latest drivers for my video card (geforce 7600 gt). But if I choose a resolution of 1440x900 or 1680x1050, the fonts start to crash. The UI looks weird, like I can the game graphics while playing, looks great, but the bottom bar shows in the middle of the screen and when I move characters around, the graphics start to crash a bit. Like the characters are static and they reappear somewhere else when I move the mouse cursor and the images bleed or crash.

Is there a UI resolution mod for Icewind dale 2, sort of like with Planescape torment (ghost dog UI mod) ? Because I really like the graphics of the game but the font looks strange and there are bugs as it is. I'm not sure if I'm the only one experiencing these issues or not.

Any help would be appreciated !

Regards,

The UI looks weird, like I can the game graphics while playing, looks great, but the bottom bar shows in the middle of the screen and when I move characters around, the graphics start to crash a bit.
It might help if you could take a screenshot while playing(push the Prt Scrn), and then open the file from the "ScrnShot" directory with Paint, and resave the file as .jpg or .bmp. This reduces size and makes us able to see it in the forum.

Then you just upload the new image file to a site like this one, and use the link it give you to put the image to this thread.

PS, use the real image, not the small one... use the preview if necessary.

Here are 3 screen shots I made. On the shot below, notice the black space above the bottom bar:

iwd11280x768.jpg

iwd21280x768.jpg

Notice in this pic, the bar has combined with the rest of the graphics. It bleeds into the background. Not good.

iwd31280x768.jpg

Basically the same thing. The bar has crashed into the main graphics and as you can see, it looks wrong.

Any fixes with this ? The resolution was set to 1440x900. If I set it to 1680x1050 the same problem occurs. The game won't run in 1280x800 but it does run in 1280x1024 which, in my 22" monitor doesn't look that great. Please help me out with this as I really would like to run the game in 1440x900 or higher without these annoying problems.

Thanks !

Regards,

Hi Bigg,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, pressing H gets rid of the annoying graphical glitches but then I can't select certain things. I'm not used to playing it like this but it's cool to see skills, magic spell selection and the like.

I think I have upgraded the widescreen version but in case I haven't, is the widescreen mod 2.1 ? Because I remember that I installed the mod after I saved the games. Should I perhaps start a new game or will my saved games not work if I just apply the mod afterwords ?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Vaughan

Just wondering, even after pressing 'h', if I look at dialog boxes, the boxes are like a fraction of the size it normally would be, which looks odd. Is there not a GUI resolution mod that one can get that will correct for this ? Sort of like ghost dogs GUI fix for Planescape torment ?

Because I remember when playing Planescape that the image also look torn in places before installing the GUI mod. As it stands, when using 1680x1050 resolution, the entire screen flickers when characters move on screen. This is an isolated case as it only flickers on IWD 2.

Regards,

I just browsed the site and came across the nvidia ddrawfix file. I downloaded it and ran the file. But it won't patch. It says access denied 'cannot open target'... please contact " "Biggs...

Not sure what that means.

Regards,

Just wondering, even after pressing 'h', if I look at dialog boxes, the boxes are like a fraction of the size it normally would be, which looks odd.
Well, if you look at the numbers, you should see:(1680*1050)/(800 * 600)=3.675... which makes the new monitor having almost 4 times as much info space(pixels) in it, so the dialog boxes etc. would be 3.6 times smaller if the screens were the same size.

Now, looking at the screens, what kind of setup did you make? As the white screen in the lower right is blank, as it should be game area, and the black is the space for the interface, right? You might have reinstalled the mod wrong which causes the white, or is the game just windowed?

The game is not windowed but full screen. I installed the widescreen mod. I assume there is only one widescreen mod and that it works for Icewind dale 2, as seen in the installation txt.

I was thinking that perhaps there was a GUI mod that fixes the interface uses so that everything (the inventory bars, etc) all fit. But I'm thinking that my problems could be fixed with the Nvidia fix. But like I said, it tells me that I need to contact Biggs and that access is denied.

So I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Regards,

The game is not windowed but full screen. I installed the widescreen mod. I assume there is only one widescreen mod and that it works for Icewind dale 2, as seen in the installation txt.
Ahh, if you still have that kind of screen... let me guess, you used the widescreen mod(v2.1) before you had actually started the game even once... so after the installation was done, and as you started the game, you had to adjust the configurations, which in turn is the reason for why the whole GUI is totally od cause the game's configurations change the games own GUI. So uninstall the widescreenmod by going to the game directory, start the setup-Widescreen.exe, push uninstall, and then start the games config.exe, and start the game, and then if the screen is ok but has a little too low resolution, restart the setup-widescreen.exe and set the resolution to what ever you wish, that your screen and graphic card can use, and after the process is done, start the game... and you are done.

Regards,

The Imp.

I uninstalled the widescreen mod. Then I played the game at 1024x768 res and the game plays perfectly. I installed the widescreen mod again, set to 1440x900, and I get the graphic artifacts, as displayed in the screenshots I posted earlier.

Am I the only one experiencing these kinds of issues ? I've got the latest Nvidia drivers. But I have heard that perhaps I should disable direct draw to sort out the problem. Problem is, I don't know how. If I go to the control panel where my Nvidia card is, the box is grayed out, meaning I can't change any settings.

If I am able to disable direct draw, I'm sure everything will be okay. Just don't know how to do that.

Regards,

If I am able to disable direct draw, I'm sure everything will be okay. Just don't know how to do that.

Regards

Info on the Nvidia card solutions here, more specifically the bigg's first post, the Dazzel's solution will definitely let you to disable direct draw... had you said you have Nvidia card, that link would have been the first and only necessary stop, ever.
Info on the Nvidia card solutions here, more specifically the bigg's first post, the Dazzel's solution will definitely let you to disable direct draw... had you said you have Nvidia card, that link would have been the first and only necessary stop, ever.

I downloaded that exe file (nvidia fix) but it doesn't seem to work. It gives me errors.

Here is a pic of what the error says :

52006356.jpg

Maybe you can help.

Regards,

I downloaded that exe file (nvidia fix) but it doesn't seem to work. It gives me errors.

Here is a pic of what the error says :

52006356.jpg

Maybe you can help.

Regards,

Archived