Moonlight, Swordfighting, and The Single Adventurer

cmorgan

Been playing around with a thought in my head. Dangerous, I know, but what the hells, I do live dangerously, sometimes. You know how we sometimes have multiple night talks stacking? Well, when I was doing Laran... er... let me rephrase that... when I was writing the Laran encounter, we kept running into dream sequences messing up the exit from the custom area RE used. The workaround was to run a script that rested everyone and played the rest movie. This might actually be a good way to ensure that multiple night talks don't happen on the same night, which the multi-romancers might appreciate, or that Bhaal dreams don't kill the mood.

This is untested code, but it just might work.

Start your dialogue off the dream script, as we always do, but when you get to the part where you'd do a RestParty(), do this instead:

IF ~~ BedNow
SAY ~See you in the morning.~ 
IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("NightTalk","GLOBAL",1) 
ClearAllActions() 
StartCutSceneMode() 
StartCutScene("PartyZZZ")~ 
EXIT

And then make this PartyZZZ.baf

IF
True()
THEN
RESPONSE #100
CutSceneId(Player1)
Rest()
ActionOverride(Player2,Rest())
ActionOverride(Player3,Rest())
ActionOverride(Player4,Rest())
ActionOverride(Player5,Rest())
ActionOverride(Player6,Rest())
ActionOverride(Player2,Rest())
StartMovie("RESTINN") //OR PLAY THE OUTDOOR MOVIE INSTEAD
MoveViewObject(Player1,INSTANT)
Wait(1)
ActionOverride("c-Aran",StartDialogueNoSet(Player1))
END

And then use ~Global("NightTalk","GLOBAL",1)~ as your trigger for the morning after talk. No dreams, no competing LTs, no interferance. It'll work anywhere, but it will help if you know whether the player plans to sleep at an inn or outdoors, naturally.

You wouldn't need multiple cutscenes. You could reuse the same ones over and over, since you're controlling the morning after talk with the global, not the cutscene.

I'm planning on trying this out in future mods, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Edit: if it works, Kulyok gets the credit, since she was the one that wrote the original workaround, but I'll take bragging rights to this application of it, for what that's worth.

Holy carp.

This looks very, very promising...

I will try to set up a test scenario and see if we are in business, but I love this idea immensely. I will go review plainab's stuff before trying, too -

but this looks like what plainab was doing to control resting instead of allowing the hardwired things associated with RestParty() in IWD. This could very well work.

If it does, it does away with the frustration with dreamtimers in a modded BG2 install I have never been able to solve comfortably (the 2da read never quite works out).

/* Sparring: The Morning After Extra-Curicular Activity */

IF ~Global("c-aransexspar","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN BEGIN  a360
 SAY ~[ARAN] Hey, there, sleepyhead... wake up, eh?~
 ++ ~[PC] *yawn* Wh... What...~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransexspar","GLOBAL",2)~ + a361
 + ~Gender(Player2,MALE) !Name("c-aran",Player2)~ + ~[PC] Not now, <PLAYER2>. Just a few more minutes...~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransexspar","GLOBAL",2)~ + a362
 + ~Gender(Player3,MALE) !Name("c-aran",Player3)~ + ~[PC] Not now, <PLAYER3>. Just a few more minutes...~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransexspar","GLOBAL",2)~ + a363
 + ~Gender(Player4,MALE) !Name("c-aran",Player4)~ + ~[PC] Not now, <PLAYER4>. Just a few more minutes...~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransexspar","GLOBAL",2)~ + a364
 + ~Gender(Player5,MALE) !Name("c-aran",Player5)~ + ~[PC] Not now, <PLAYER5>. Just a few more minutes...~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransexspar","GLOBAL",2)~ + a365
 + ~Gender(Player6,MALE) !Name("c-aran",Player6)~ + ~[PC] Not now, <PLAYER6>. Just a few more minutes...~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransexspar","GLOBAL",2)~ + a366
 ++ ~[PC] Hey, stop that. You tired me out. Let me get some more sleep. Just a few more minutes...~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransexspar","GLOBAL",2)~ + a361
 ++ ~[PC] I am awake. And from the feel of things, so are you.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransexspar","GLOBAL",2)~ + a367
 ++ ~[PC] Oh gods... get up. Fast. And get dressed. Where are my clothes? Quickly... hand me that, will you?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransexspar","GLOBAL",2)~ + a368
END

IF ~~ a361
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, m'lady <CHARNAME>, we done took sparrin' to a whole new level.~
 ++ ~[PC] Oh. Well, I am awake, I guess. And from the feel of things, so are you.~ + a367
 ++ ~[PC] Oh gods... get up. Fast. And get dressed. Where are my clothes? Quickly... hand me that, will you?~ + a368
 ++ ~[PC] Hmmmmm. Warm. Come back here.~ + a370
 ++ ~[PC] Levels. Sparring. (Sit bolt upright suddenly, clutching the blanket close to your chin) We made love.~ + a368
END

IF ~~ a362
 SAY ~[ARAN] Bloody hells, woman. Get your body off o' me. Bugger that Shar-kissed bastard, anyways. You dreamin' o' <PLAYER2> when I was wi' you. That be just wrong.~
 ++ ~[PC] Hey, hey, I was just joking... some men have no sense of humor. Hand me some clothes, because we need to get back to camp!~  DO ~~SetGlobal("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobalTimer("c-aranismad","GLOBAL",ONE_DAY)~~ + a369
 ++ ~[PC] Levels. Sparring. (Sit bolt upright suddenly, clutching the blanket close to your chin) We made love.~ + a368
 ++ ~[PC] Oh gods... it is you. Aran, get up. Fast. And get dressed. Where are my clothes? Quickly... hand me that, will you?~ + a368
 ++ ~[PC] If you cannot handle the fact that I might be dreaming of more than one man, then you really do not understand me, Aran.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobalTimer("c-aranismad","GLOBAL",ONE_DAY)~ + a369
 ++ ~[PC] Oh, Aran. I was awake already, and just did that to get a rise out of you. By the feel of things, it seems to have worked... Hmmmmm. Warm. Come back here.~ + a370
END

IF ~~ a363
 SAY ~[ARAN] Bloody hells, woman. Get your body off o' me. Bugger that Shar-kissed bastard, anyways. You dreamin' o' <PLAYER3> when I was wi' you. That be just wrong.~
 ++ ~[PC] Hey, hey, I was just joking... some men have no sense of humor. Hand me some clothes, because we need to get back to camp!~  DO ~~SetGlobal("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobalTimer("c-aranismad","GLOBAL",ONE_DAY)~~ + a369
 ++ ~[PC] Oh gods... it is you. Aran, get up. Fast. And get dressed. Where are my clothes? Quickly... hand me that, will you?~ + a368
 ++ ~[PC] If you cannot handle the fact that I might be dreaming of more than one man, then you really do not understand me, Aran.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobalTimer("c-aranismad","GLOBAL",ONE_DAY)~ + a369
 ++ ~[PC] Oh, Aran. I was awake already, and just did that to get a rise out of you. By the feel of things, it seems to have worked... Hmmmmm. Warm. Come back here.~ + a370
END

IF ~~ a364
 SAY ~[ARAN] Bloody hells, woman. Get your body off o' me. Bugger that Shar-kissed bastard, anyways. You dreamin' o' <PLAYER4> when I was wi' you. That be just wrong.~
END

IF ~~ a365
 SAY ~[ARAN] Bloody hells, woman. Get your body off o' me. Bugger that Shar-kissed bastard, anyways. You dreamin' o' <PLAYER5> when I was wi' you. That be just wrong.~
END

IF ~~ a366
 SAY ~[ARAN] Bloody hells, woman. Get your body off o' me. Bugger that Shar-kissed bastard, anyways. You dreamin' o' <PLAYER6> when I was wi' you. That be just wrong!~
 ++ ~[PC] Hey, hey, I was just joking... some men have no sense of humor. Hand me some clothes, because we need to get back to camp!~  DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobalTimer("c-aranismad","GLOBAL",ONE_DAY)~ + a369
END

IF ~~ a367
 SAY ~[ARAN] Cold hands, cold hands... easy there! We seem to have taken sparrin' to a whole new level.~
 ++ ~[PC] Oh gods... get up. Fast. And get dressed. Where are my clothes? Quickly.. hand me that, will you?~ + a368
 ++ ~[PC] I think it was several levels. I lost count.~ + a371
 ++ ~[PC] That, Aran, was not sparring. That was serious lovemaking. And I think with a little more practice, we may redefine the genre.~ + a371
 ++ ~[PC] Well, you tired me out. But I am quite disappointed. You need to be taught some things, Aran.~ + a372
 ++ ~[PC] It was nice enough for an evenings's entertainment. Tell anyone it happened, and I will destroy you.~ + a373
END

IF ~~ a368
 SAY ~[ARAN] Here they be... easy, there! We are grown, consentin' adults. In fact, there was a whole lot o' 'yes' bein' thrown about by both o' us last night, if I remember correctly.~
 ++ ~[PC] This was a mistake.~ + a372
 ++ ~[PC] Yes. And I do not need to hurry, do I. (Stretch lazily, barely catching the blanket in time to preserve your modesty.)~ + a374
 ++ ~[PC] Gods, I think I will not move for a few days... everything hurts.~ + a375
 ++ ~[PC] I did not plan on this. This may... complicate things. Aran, promise me you will not talk about this with anyone, please?~ + a376
 ++ ~[PC] No time... we have to hurry. I do not need to explain my self to anyone, and I do not want to repeat my orders. Get moving, right now!~ + a373
END

IF ~~ a369
 SAY ~[ARAN] Bugger that. That be makin' me into th' joke. I can handle bein' one o' many, but not if you don't give me naught for respect. Next time you want tendin' to, look to some other poor bastard to torture.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a370
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, when you be puttin' it that way... HEY! Easy there, that's a tender spot! Perhaps there be a mite o' time more we can spend together...~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a371
 SAY ~[ARAN] Hey, that tickles. Get your tousled head off o' my chest, eh? We had best be movin' along right quick. Spendin' this much time might have been a mistake.~
 ++ ~[PC] Perhaps you are right. Hand me my clothes, and let's get back to business.~ + a376
 ++ ~[PC] It was not a mistake. You took advantage of me, and if you come close to me again, I shall make you pay.~ + a377
 ++ ~[PC] This - *kiss* - was not - *kiss* -  a mistake.~ + a370
 ++ ~[PC] I do not want to get out of bed. Fix me breakfast? I could make it worth your while...~ + a378
END

IF ~~ a372
 SAY ~[ARAN] That's not th' impression I got last night. But you are th' expert, I guess. I know how to keep my mouth shut, when it counts. An' I am trainable, to an extent. Next time, let me know what you want, an' I might just be able to supply it.
 ++ ~[PC] There will be no next time. Get dressed, and get a move on. ~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] '..you are th' expert...' - just what are you implying, Aran?~ + a379
 ++ ~[PC] Look, I am sorry - I didn't mean it that way. But we have to keep our distance from eachother. This kind of thing can really interfere with what we are trying to accomplish.~ + a380
 ++ ~[PC] Aran, you know I have feelings for another. I should never have allowed myself to risk damaging that relationship. Promise me you will be discreet... swear it on your life!~ + a376
 ++ ~[PC] Come here, silly. I was playing with you. I want some more of that firey passion!~ + a371
END

IF ~~ a373
 SAY ~[ARAN] Right, understood. Only... can you be movin' over about a foot? On account o' my trousers be somewhere under you, an' I might be needin' them...~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a374
 SAY ~[ARAN] No hurry, but no dawdlin', neither, on account o' we don't have no one guardin' this position an' on th' lookout, eh?~
 ++ ~[PC] Hand me the rest of my clothes, please... yes, that too. No, the strap goes there, not there... OUCH!~ + a381
 ++ ~[PC] What is done is done. But we need to be discreet.~ + a376
 ++ ~[PC] On second thought, I think that we need another practice session. In fact, I think that we need one right... (oooh)  now... (hmmm) see?~ + a370
 ++ ~[PC] I do not want to get out of bed. Fix me breakfast? I could make it worth your while...~  + a378
 ++ ~[PC] Well, in that case, I think I want to trace that tatoo again. Perhpas this time just with my fingers...~ + a382
END

IF ~~ a375
 SAY ~[ARAN] I'm right sorry, I am. I think we got a mite carried away, eh? I didn't know... well, I don't regret a moment wi' you, but I never wanted to cause no pain to you.~
 ++ ~[PC] You are sweet, but if I remember correctly it was me who insisted on recieving the full treatment.~ + a380
 ++ ~[PC] It was not a mistake. You took advantage of me, and if you come close to me again, I shall make you pay.~ + a377
 ++ ~[PC] This - *kiss* - was not - *kiss* -  a mistake.~ + a370
 ++ ~[PC] Here, rub here, will you, please? Gently...~ + a383
END

IF ~~ a376
 SAY ~[ARAN] That I can do, <CHARNAME>.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a377
 SAY ~[ARAN] Bloody hells, woman. Get your body off o' me. Bugger that Shar-kissed mouth o' yours, anyways. I didn't do naught you didn't want me to do. If I did, then I'll hand you th' dagger myself, an' I'll explain it to Kelemvor.~
 IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobalTimer("c-aranismad","GLOBAL",ONE_DAY)~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ a378
 SAY ~[ARAN] Your wish be my command, m'lady. One warm breakfast, comin' up. Be a mite bit o' time, but you stay here an' I'll be back wi' somethin' good. ~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a379 
 SAY ~[ARAN] That came out all wrong...~
 ++ ~[PC] You bet it did. Get your clothes on, and get out of here. NOW.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] You are right, I am the expert on my own body, and I am telling you to step up your game. Do you have a problem with that?~ + a384
 ++ ~[PC] Look, this is going all wrong. Let's just get dressed and get back to our travels.~ + a380
END

IF ~~ a380
 SAY ~[ARAN] Aye, true enough. We had better get movin' quickly, on account o' we don't have no one guardin' this position an' on th' lookout, eh?
 ++ ~[PC] Hand me the rest of my clothes, please... yes, that too. No, the strap goes there, not there... OUCH!~ + a381
 ++ ~[PC] What is done is done. But we need to be discreet.~ + a376
 ++ ~[PC] On second thought, I think that we need another practice session. In fact, I think that we need one right... (oooh)  now... (hmmm) see?~ + a370
 ++ ~[PC] I do not want to get out of bed. Fix me breakfast? I could make it worth your while...~ + a378
END

IF ~~ a381
 SAY ~[ARAN] Sorry. That be a mite fun, though.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a382
 SAY ~[ARAN] Ye Gods an' Solars, you be an assassin what's been sent to kill me! Right then, off wi' that blanket...~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a383
 SAY ~[ARAN] Here?~
 ++ ~[PC] A little lower... lower... hmmmm...~ + a370
 ++ ~[PC] Yes, just gently. So, what would you like to have for breakfast?~ + a385
 ++ ~[PC] Here, let me show you. Follow my finger...~ + a370
END

IF ~~ a384
 SAY ~[ARAN] No, there be no problems. No ma'am. Gettin' up an' fallin' back in line, like a good soldier. Thanks for takin' th' time to 'instruct' me, oh great leader. I be right humbled by your massive level o' knowledge, an' I'll be sure to pay attention right proper. Now, I got breakfast to cook. By your leave, m'lady Sune.
 ++ ~[PC] (Throw a boot hard at Aran)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobalTimer("c-aranismad","GLOBAL",ONE_DAY)~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] A smart man would shut his flapping jaw and open his huge ears and pay attention, thus pleasing his partner. But you are particularly stupid, as males go, aren't you.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobalTimer("c-aranismad","GLOBAL",ONE_DAY)~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] I have killed people for less insolent behavior than this. Get out.~  DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobalTimer("c-aranismad","GLOBAL",ONE_DAY)~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] M'lady Sune? Hmm, I like the sound of that. Why not come over here and kiss my feet for all that 'instruction' I blessed you with? I expect daily displays of your devotion to your goddess, you know.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobalTimer("c-aranismad","GLOBAL",ONE_DAY)~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] (Get up and leave in silence)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobalTimer("c-aranismad","GLOBAL",ONE_DAY)~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ a385
 SAY ~[ARAN] You be offerin' to cook for me?
 ++ ~[PC] Absolutely. Anything you desire.~ + a386
 ++ ~[PC] Silly man! Of course not. We can do it together.~ + a387
 ++ ~[PC] I do not want to get out of bed. Fix me breakfast? I could make it worth your while...~  + a378
END

IF ~~ a386
 SAY ~[ARAN] Anythin' I desire, eh? In that case, breakfast be served. An' quit that gigglin', girl... I can't rightly help my whiskers aren't shaved yet!
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a387
 SAY ~[ARAN] Your wish be my command, m'lady. One warm breakfast, done right proper an' together. Here, let me help you wi' that... right. You keep th' blanket, an' I'll make a run for th' clothes. Ready, set... go! 
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

I need to remember to add a set of 'make-up after PC or Aran get ticked off with eachother' talks.

So far, ADD TO SITUATIONAL TALKS:

IF ~Global("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",1) GlobalTimerExpired("c-aranismad","GLOBAL")~ THEN BEGIN c-aranmakeup1
 SAY ~[ARAN] Hey... I am right sorry.~
 IF ~RandomNum(3,1)~ THEN GOTO c-aranmakeup2
 IF ~RandomNum(3,2)~ THEN GOTO //clone of 2, different first line
 IF ~RandomNum(3,3)~ THEN GOTO //clone of 2, different first line
END

IF ~~ c-aranmakeup2
  SAY ~[ARAN] I know I have been mad, but I should know better. You call th' shots, <CHARNAME>. Are we fine wi' eachother?~ ]
  // make up
 + ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] It is my fault, Aran, not yours. Of course we are fine.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",0)~ + c-aranmakeup3
 + ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] I do not always understand you, and what you want of me, Aran. But you are a part of my life now.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",0)~ + c-aranmakeup3
 + ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] I think so. Do you think we are fine with eachother? ~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",0)~ + c-aranmakeup3

// do not make up
 + ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + [PC] No. You have to better than that as an apology, Aran. Get on with the job at hand.~  DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobalTimer("c-aranismad","GLOBAL",TWO_DAYS)~ EXIT
 + ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] After your words and actions over the past few days, you should be crawling to me on your hands and feet. Go away, Aran.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobalTimer("c-aranismad","GLOBAL",TWO_DAYS)~ EXIT
 + ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] He speaks. Well, sort of - his mouth is moving, but I do not hear anything worth hearing.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobalTimer("c-aranismad","GLOBAL",TWO_DAYS)~ EXIT

// stop romance
 ++ ~[PC] This is not working out, Aran. We should stick to business, and absolutely nothing else.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",0) SetGlobal("c-aranflirtstop","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobal("c-aranromance","GLOBAL",3)~ + c-aranmakeup4

// kick him out
 ++ ~[PC] None of this is working the way I want. You are a pain and a distraction. You should leave the party for good.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",0) SetGlobal("c-aranflirtstop","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobal("c-aranromance","GLOBAL",3)~ + c-aranmakeup5
END

Bump for make-up talks to be included, as i forgot to get them into the master file -

and an "oh bother" moment.

Something in the way I coded this results in each of the participants having to score twice as many points as they should. And to tell the truth, probably a score of 3 is enough of a text adventure. That was a fun fight, but a long one - too long. (male PC).

And while I am here, some breadcrumbs for following up on later -

1. every PID needs a bottom response that allows exit with no action, like "Oh, just checking.". Otherwise a player who force clicks is forced to do something.

2. If you use <PLAYER[23456]>, make sure you ahve the code set up so that when the player has your NPC selected and then force talks him, he has an option... otherwise, you get "Oh, sorry, Aran, I don't have much to say to you right now". Good fun having Aran talk to himself, though -

3. It seems to be the best, most interesting talks that can be waded through in three clicks, avoiding most of the content. I have everything down to two cicks if you are just telling him to shut up, but it is rather disconcerting to have a fully realized, reflexive talk that can be approached uniquesly by every class, several kits, and tailored directly to the PC, having spent hours and hours and days of testing/retweaking, only to find that when you roleplay your own PC you speed through them in two clicks. Targeted, unique clicks, but... Bleh!

3. It seems to be the best, most interesting talks that can be waded through in three clicks, avoiding most of the content. I have everything down to two cicks if you are just telling him to shut up, but it is rather disconcerting to have a fully realized, reflexive talk that can be approached uniquesly by every class, several kits, and tailored directly to the PC, having spent hours and hours and days of testing/retweaking, only to find that when you roleplay your own PC you speed through them in two clicks. Targeted, unique clicks, but... Bleh!

It's infuriating. Absolutely maddening. And then you'll have other talks that just seem like they go on for days. I'd rather have the shorter ones.

Guest Peachplums
++ ~[PC] Well, in that case, I think I want to trace that tatoo again. Perhpas this time just with my fingers...~ + a382

"tattoo" and "Perhaps"

My apologies if you caught that already. It seemed to be fine/fixed in the "Building Flirts" thread.

And as my parapraxis for the night, I read it as, "this time just with my tongue...~ + a382"

I hope there's a flirt to ask Aran if he has a tattoo, or see (or be given a private viewing of) Aran's tattoo. I'm interested in finding out what design he had inked.

And in other news, while I was brushing my teeth and rummaging through deviantArt earlier this evening, I stumbled across this picture of a Moonlight Duel. It's pretty much spot on for the mental imagery I had going through my mind when I read this thread (minus the guy's elven ears, of course). I broke my years of lurking (and silent swooning) to link that picture and correct a few typos, so now I will follow the trends of post-lurking behavior and add I'm very excited for this mod.

That moonlight duel picture is darned good. And tattoo reveal with options for PC to play "show me yours and I'll show you mine... maybe...", tattoo tracing with fingers (chaste), tattoo tracing with breath/lips/tounge (definitely not chaste) and questioning about where/how he got it integrated. I can't post it here because it is both rated-G and rated-WhoaThere materials working in the same code blocks, which is why not much has been going up on the boards here lately. Still struggling with the romance teen<>adult materials balance.

I have some time today, but before I go haring off on a wild excursion to find some way of making static images display while dialog options still are being worked through a field-test of the duel {female_PC} <> {Aran}. There is still a hassle with the scoring variables registering even with the filters in place on the male side, so probably there will have to be some rewriting, retesting, swearing, slapping the side of the monitor, more testing, more swearing... just another fun rainy-ish day modding!

OK, second playtesting session through the male swordfight, pushing it hard to see if i can break it/mess it up. Some things were a little repetitious (randomness has a disadvantage in that sometimes you really do get 1,1,1,1,1...). I'm having some LOCALS setting problems, but this version should be pretty much final (minus renumbering states). The female romance version of this may need some merging with this, but given the amount of troubleshooting confusion that might ensue, I am going to keep them separate.

here's the Dude vs Dude Shooting Hoops "final" (I hope.)

/* FT 9 Follow-Up - Males - Shooting Hoops, FR Style */
IF ~Global("c-aranspar","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN BEGIN a225
 SAY ~[ARAN] You be a mite late, there, <CHARNAME>. I was just about to turn in, eh?~
 ++ ~[PC] I think the bet was 5 gold that you would lose, 10 gold that you would trip on something during the match, and no takers on how many times you would swear.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranspar","GLOBAL",4)~ + a226
 ++ ~[PC] You look like you have been working hard already. Do you want to postpone this? I do not want to take advantage of your fatigue.~  DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranspar","GLOBAL",4)~ + a227
 ++ ~[PC] Think of it as early for tomorrow. The moon is still up, so there is plenty of light, and I am here now.~  DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranspar","GLOBAL",4)~ + a228
 ++ ~[PC] I think I would rather not spar tonight, Aran. I am going to turn in.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranspar","GLOBAL",4)~ + a229
 ++ ~[PC] Look, if you were an attractive young female, I would have been here hours ago. Consider yourself lucky I showed up at all.~  DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranspar","GLOBAL",4)~ + a230
END

IF ~~ a226
 SAY ~[ARAN] Whoa, there, big boy, watch th' mouth! Don't you be talkin' too big for your abilities, eh? I can hold my own, you know. No Candlekeep weepin' willow is goin' to beat a Whitehand in a sparrin' match!~
 ++ ~[PC] Sure, sure... the famous Whitehands of the Great Dragon Army, chased by every random kobold and gibberling from here to Luskan. Are you going to talk or are you going to spar?~ + a231
 ++ ~[PC] 'Weeping willow'? Come on, Aran, you have to come up with better trash talk than that. You are supposed to get me all off balance by insulting me.~ + a231
 ++ ~[PC] I am talking well within my abilities, boyo. Put up swords or pay up. I have plans for that money.~ + a231
 ++ ~[PC] You can hold your own, but you are talking to the Master of Disaster. This should be over quickly.~ + a232
 ++ ~[PC] Hey, we are joking around, right? You are not getting the idea I do not appreciate your work...~ + a233
 ++ ~[PC] War is never the answer.~ + a755
END

IF ~~ a755
 SAY ~[ARAN] Now there be a silly thought. There's not much what can't be adjusted wi' a suitable application o' a great big pile o' hurt, eh?~
 ++ ~[PC] I'm serious, Aran. We should save our aggression for our enemies.~ + a757
 ++ ~[PC] True enough. Well, show me what you have, oh you of the big mouth and small mind.~ + a756
 ++ ~[PC] Spoken like a true sellsword, Aran. I would debate the point and duel wits with you, but I would have to find some for you to borrow, and that takes too much energy!~ + a756
 ++ ~[PC] Hey, I thought we were going to use weapons, not practice talking. Am I correct?~ + a228
 ++ ~[PC] I think I would rather not spar tonight, Aran. I am going to turn in.~ + a229
END

IF ~~ a756
 SAY ~[ARAN] Funny, boyo, real funny. I bet you practiced that in front o' a mirror.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a1688
END

IF ~~ a757
 SAY ~[ARAN] I think th' aggression for th' enemies part be fine. But I was thinkin' it be smarter to practice in safety, together. On account o' it means it be more unlikely that one o' us needs a Raise Dead spell, or somethin'.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a1688
END

IF ~~ a227
 SAY ~[ARAN] No, no... I was stretchin' out, is all. But I be interested in a spar on dexterity, on account o' bein' a mite tired from the past few days.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a1688
END

IF ~~ a1688
 SAY ~[ARAN] What do you think o' tryin' a fencin' match with foils?~
 ++ ~[PC] Do you think I am frail and passive, unable to handle the big weapons? What am I, one of your bundles of dried, ink-covered sheepskin?~ + a234
 ++ ~[PC] Name the weapon, and I am ready. If I do not know how to wield it, I will ask how.~ + a235
 ++ ~[PC] It is your funeral. Show me you can fight.~ + a231
 ++ ~[PC] It is your funeral. (Punch him hard in the gut.)~ + a236
 + ~Class(Player1,MAGE_ALL)~ + ~[PC] That sounds good to me. I do not do well with brute force weapons anyways. And I promise not to throw any spells your way.~ + a235
 + ~Class(Player1,FIGHTER_ALL)~ + ~[PC] I had my heart set on some good solid Moonshea Hammers and Axes, but a fencing match is fine. Good warriors can turn a rock or a piece of wood into a decent enough weapon.~ + a235
 + ~Class(Player1,THIEF_ALL)~ + ~[PC] Hey, if you want to set yourself up for an embarrassing loss, it is your funeral. You do remember I live by my agility, don't you?~ + a235
 + ~Class(Player1,CLERIC_ALL) Alignment(Player1,MASK_GOOD)~ + ~[PC] Clerics usually work with blunt weapons, Aran, but a practice foil is blunt. You do not even have to spot me a touch or two in points.~ + a235
 + ~Class(Player1,CLERIC_ALL) Alignment(Player1,MASK_EVIL)~ + ~[PC] Clerics usually work with blunt weapons, Aran, but a practice foil is blunt. I would not be true to my god if I did not insist that you spot me a touch or two in points.~ + a235
 + ~Class(Player1,CLERIC_ALL) !Alignment(Player1,MASK_GOOD) !Alignment(Player1,MASK_EVIL)~ + ~[PC] Clerics usually work with blunt weapons, Aran, but a practice foil is blunt. It is a fair balance, with my lack of familiarity and your fatigue.~ + a235
 + ~Class(Player1,PALADIN_ALL) !Class("c-aran",PALADIN_ALL)~ + ~[PC] I am surprised, Aran.  Gentleman's weapons? I am impressed. A good spar to clear the head and focus the mind. Come, now, Aran, let us have a clean fight.~ + a235
 + ~Class(Player1,PALADIN_ALL) Class("c-aran",PALADIN_ALL)~ + ~[PC] Gentleman's weapons? Good choice, befitting our calling. A good spar to clear the head and focus the mind. Come, now, Aran, let us have a clean fight.~ + a235
 + ~Class(Player1,SORCERER)~ + ~[PC] Somehow I think it might be fun to try a good old-fashioned swordfight. I will try to avoid melting your blade, or setting your trousers on fire.~ + a235
 + ~Class(Player1,MONK)~ + ~[PC] Hand to hand is more my forte, but perhaps this will be interesting. I will spar with you.~ + a235
 + ~Class(Player1,BARD_ALL)~ + ~[PC] I should be asking to spar musically, or perhaps with poetry, Aran, but I am afraid I have heard your singing. I think you should stop talking and start fighting.~ + a235
 ++ ~[PC] I think I would rather not spar tonight, Aran. I am going to turn in.~ + a229
END

IF ~~ a228
 SAY ~[ARAN] That you be. Hey, I be interested in a spar on dexterity, on account o' bein' a mite tired from the last few days. I got me an idea, an' since I don't rightly have many good ones, why not try this one.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a1688
END

IF ~~ a229
 SAY ~[ARAN] Aye, then, that be fine. Do you want anythin' else?~
 ++ ~[PC] Now what might I want when I am headed for my bedroll?~ + a242
 ++ ~[PC] No, I am fine. Have a good night, Aran.~ + a238
 ++ ~[PC] Well, there are still some cooking pots you have not cleaned, and there is firewood to gather. You should get right on that.~ + a268
 ++ ~[PC] A smart young blond with loose morals and a short memory.~ + a237
END

IF ~~ a230
 SAY ~[ARAN] If I had been a cute young female, I would have known better than to show up here alone an' all unprotected, wi' th' likes o' you runnin' the show. But seein' as there be a severe shortage o' amorous dryads an' such around these parts, what say we do a little fencin'? ~
 ++ ~[PC] I just thought of you as a female, and the whole idea turns me off completely. I think I will just go to bed.~ + a229
 ++ ~[PC] Do you think I am frail and passive, unable to handle the big weapons? What am I, one of your bundles of dried, ink-covered sheepskin?~ + a234
 ++ ~[PC] Name the weapon, and I am ready. If I do not know how to wield it, I will ask how.~ + a235
 ++ ~[PC] It is your funeral. Show me you can fight.~ + a231
 ++ ~[PC] It is your funeral. (Punch him hard in the gut.)~ + a236
 ++ ~[PC] That sounds like a good idea.~ + a235
END

IF ~~ a231
 SAY ~[ARAN] I don't rightly have th' practice equipment for Waterdeep Twin Swords style, just two straight practice foils for duellin' wi' out harm. Wi' a bit o' luck, we shall see who gets a few extra coins to toss around next inn we be stayin' at.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a235
END

IF ~~ a232
 SAY ~[ARAN] Lathander's Luminous Legs, <CHARNAME>, you need a mite but o' sunshine poured into that addled pate o' yours, you do. An' I am just th' man to do it.~
 ++ ~[PC] Talk is cheap, and my time is valuable. Throw me a foil.~ + a235
 ++ ~[PC] Actually, I think it would be a good time to quit while I am ahead. I seem to have won the verbal sparring, so I am off to bed.~ + a229
 ++ ~[PC] Shall we spar?~ + a231
 ++ ~[PC] Hey, all trash-talk aside, are you going to teach me how to spar?~ + a244
 ++ ~[PC] You say 'man', but I see 'boy who throws a ton of wind'. Show me what you have, caravan-boy...~ + a235
 ++ ~[PC] Look, can we skip the whole sparring thing, and just talk?~ + a262
END

IF ~~ a233
 SAY ~[ARAN] Torm's Blighted Balls, do you be jokin'? I thought we be talkin' trash to each other, an' gettin' into th' spirit, is all. Where have you been, a monastery all your life?~
 ++ ~[PC] Let's just say that I have spent most of my life being very, very serious.~ + a235
 ++ ~[PC] Good. Toss me a weapon, and let's see how this all works out.~ + a235
 ++ ~[PC] Yes. (Punch him hard in the gut.)~ + a236
 ++ ~[PC] This is taking too long. I think I will head for bed.~ + a229
END

IF ~~ a234
 SAY ~[ARAN] Bugger that. If I wanted to insult you, I'd be sayin' you smell like th' inside o' a Luskan Cathouse, or look like one o' them Calimshan eunuchs. Bundle o' dried goatskin, my arse.~
 ++ ~[PC] Why, thank you, sir. And I would respond that your breath is as stunning as an otuyug, but luckily for the otuyug it has the benefit of some redeeming qualities...~ + a240
 ++ ~[PC] You can save the feeble attempts at insults. Throw me a foil, and let's spar.~ + a235
 ++ ~[PC] Aran, you have so much to learn about talking to your betters. Perhaps a sound thrashing will help.~ + a235
 ++ ~[PC] Actually, could you show me how to hold a foil? I never really learned...~ + a244
END

IF ~~ a235
 SAY ~[ARAN] Aye, then. Here, catch.~
 ++ ~[PC] (Catch rapier by the hilt and place it to your lips, saluting him.)~ + a247
 ++ ~[PC] (Catch rapier and extend it away and to your left, ready to fight.)~ + a247
 ++ ~[PC] (Catch rapier and instantly lunge forward with a direct thrust.)~ + a248
 ++ ~[PC] (Clumsily catch the rapier and grip it like a club.)~ + a247
END

IF ~~ a236
 SAY ~[ARAN] *gasp* What in th' nine hells was that?~
 ++ ~[PC] Weakness. You let your guard down, Aran, and I was right there to take advantage. Are we going to spar?~ + a235
 ++ ~[PC] Fun. Here, let me do it again...~ + a241
 ++ ~[PC] A warning. I came here to fight, not talk.~ + a235
 ++ ~[PC] A sucker-punch. Where have you been living all your life, a monastery? Throw me a foil.~ + a235
END

IF ~~ a237
 SAY ~[ARAN] Now, that I could get behind, or in front of. Or in bed with, if I could find one like that. I'll be keepin' my eyes open, eh?~
 ++ ~[PC] Hey, on second thought, I am going back to an empty bedroll and another night of troubled sleep. Throw me a foil.~ + a235
 ++ ~[PC] You do that. Have a good night, Aran.~ + a238
 ++ ~[PC] No need, Aran. I think I can handle getting my own women. You concentrate on yourself. Have a good night.~ + a238
 ++ ~[PC] No need, Aran. I already have someone I am interested in romantically.~ + a239
END

IF ~~ a238
 SAY ~[ARAN] Aye, then, same to you. I think I am goin' to go get some energy worked out o' my system, eh? I will see you back at camp.~
 IF ~~ THEN DO ~RestParty()~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ a239
 SAY ~[ARAN] A man never lived what has too many girlfriends, as long as he be careful to keep them separate. Wives, it might be that just one be too many, but girlfriends, that be a different story. I think I am goin' to go get some energy worked out o' my system, eh? I will see you back at camp.~
END

IF ~~ a240
 SAY ~[ARAN] Big talk, big talk! With a bit o' luck, we shall see who gets a few extra coins to toss around next inn we be stayin' at.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a235
END

IF ~~ a241
 SAY ~[ARAN] Not on your life... I'm done wi' getting my gut punched on account o' you gotta let off some steam. You got anythin' else you want me to do for you? Mayhap somethin' that don't rightly hurt so much?~
 ++ ~[PC] No, I am fine. Have a good night, Aran.~ + a238
 ++ ~[PC] Well, there are still some cooking pots you have not cleaned, and there is firewood to gather. You should go do that, instead.~ + a268
END

IF ~~ a242
 SAY ~[ARAN] A smart young blond with loose morals and a short memory?~
 ++ ~[PC] Sign me up. Do you happen to have her in your pack?~ + a243
 ++ ~[PC] I think I have all I can handle with women right now, thanks. Have a good night, Aran.~ + a238
 ++ ~[PC] Sounds more like your type than mine. Have a good night.~ + a238
 ++ ~[PC] Like you could get one to pay attention to you, let alone me. Dream on!~ + a243
 ++ ~[PC] I am sure I can come up with one of those on my own, should I want one. You, on the other hand... perhaps not.~ + a243
END

IF ~~ a243
 SAY ~[ARAN] No, I don't rightly think I can pull a blond out o' my pack right now, smart, loose, or even female. No brunettes, redheads, or even one o' them sparkly-headed Gensai, neither. Mayhap next inn, if there be a good bit o' alcohol an' some dancin', but not right here an' right now!~
 = ~[ARAN] I think I am goin' to go get some energy worked out o' my system, eh? I will see you back at camp.~
END

IF ~~ a244
 SAY ~[ARAN] Aye, sure. This can be a mite bit strange for someone who has naught for trainin', but th' basics is pretend you are facin' an armored opponent wi' a long sword. Slashin' won't be gettin' you anywhere. You need to look for opportunities to pierce wi' the point, see? Here, hold it like this... an' then try to stick me any place below th' neck.~
 ++ ~[PC] Just like this? (swish the blade side to side, and then whip it across his left leg.)~ + a245
 ++ ~[PC] Just like this? (lunge forward and push the tip of the foil towards his left shoulder.)~ + a245
 ++ ~[PC] Just like this? (feint left, then drive the foil directly for his right eye.)~ + a246
 ++ ~[PC] This is not really that interesting. I think I would rather not spar tonight, Aran. I am going to turn in.~ + a229
END

IF ~~ a245
 SAY ~[ARAN] Blighted bones, that hurt! But aye. Only you need to hold your wrist like this... an' turn your body in so as to give th' smallest target possible, or I'll be rammin' my blade where th' sun don't shine first time I get behind you.~
 ++ ~[PC] That will do. I can take it from here - let's spar.~ + a235
 ++ ~[PC] Look, I learned how to do this back in Candlekeep. You are a bit gullible, aren't you. Let's fence.~ + a235
 ++ ~[PC] This is not really that interesting. I think I would rather not spar tonight, Aran. I am going to turn in.~ + a229
END

IF ~~ a246
 SAY ~[ARAN] (Blades clash as Aran blocks the thrust.) Not unless you be expectin' one ' us to die tonight. This be friendly sparrin', not pop 'Aran's eyeball an' clip his brain'. Looks like you can handle yourself right fine. Do you be ready?.~
 ++ ~[PC] That will do. I can take it from here - let's spar.~ + a235
 ++ ~[PC] Look, I learned how to do this back in Candlekeep. Let's fence.~ + a235
 ++ ~[PC] The eyeball might pop, but there is no brain in there to hurt. If you want all this fancy fighting, go do it yourself. I am more of the 'beat them senseless and then vivisect their parts for the necromancer' kind. Have as good a night as you can. I am headed for my bedroll.~ + a238
END

IF ~~ a247
 SAY ~[ARAN] Here, let's get goin', eh - en garde!~
 ++ ~[PC] (Circle around to his left.)~  + a252
 ++ ~[PC] (Feint right, then slash towards his legs.)~  + a248
 ++ ~[PC] (Wait patiently, watching him closely.)~ + a253
 ++ ~[PC] (Stand very still, motionless in the moonlight.)~  + a253
 ++ ~[PC] (Thrust savagely at him.)~ + a248
END

/* Let's change up things a little if the state gets repeated a few times... trash talk in sequence if taken. */

IF ~~ a248
 SAY ~[ARAN] (A spark strikes as his blade parries. He thrusts quickly forward.)~
 + ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, parrying each of his thrusts)~ + defensive_one_sword
 + ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, parrying each of his thrusts)~ + defensive_two_sword
 + ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, parrying each of his thrusts)~ + defensive_three_sword
 + ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] (Step back quickly, then advance with a flurry of quick strokes)~ + a249
 + ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] (Step back quickly, then advance with a flurry of quick strokes)~ + a250
 + ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] (Step back quickly, then advance with a flurry of quick strokes)~ + a251
 + ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] (Twist your wrist, deflecting his riposte and flicking your blade towards his throat)~ + a249
 + ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] (Twist your wrist, deflecting his riposte and flicking your blade towards his throat)~ + secondary_point_pc
 + ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] (Twist your wrist, deflecting his riposte and flicking your blade towards his throat)~ + secondary_point_aran
 + ~Global("c-aransp1","LOCALS",0)~ + ~[PC] Your bootlace is coming untied...~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp1","LOCALS",1)~ + a254
 + ~Global("c-aransp1","LOCALS",1)~ + ~[PC] Didn't we do this already? You have to learn to be more creative, Aran.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp1","LOCALS",2)~ + a255
 + ~Global("c-aransp1","LOCALS",2)~ + ~[PC] Had enough, oh feeble wielder of swords? I can thrust and parry all night, you know. It does not look like you have the stamina.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp1","LOCALS",3)~ + a256
 + ~Global("c-aransp1","LOCALS",3)~ + ~[PC] Come on, just a few more exchanges, and I will have thoroughly humiliated you...~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp1","LOCALS",4)~ + a257
 + ~Global("c-aransp1","LOCALS",4)~ + ~[PC] Hey, I am not bad at this. But then again, I always thought that negotiation was the art of saying "let's talk!" till I can find a rock.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp1","LOCALS",5)~ + a258
 + ~Global("c-aransp1","LOCALS",5)~ + ~[PC] Slow, slow, slow - you are slower than honey running uphill on the Spine of the World.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp1","LOCALS",6)~ + a259
END

IF ~~ a249
 SAY ~[ARAN] (He falls back, his riposte clashing against your blade with jarring force.)~
 + ~RandomNum(2,1)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, parrying each of his thrusts)~ + aran_circles_moon
 + ~RandomNum(2,2)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, parrying each of his thrusts)~ + aran_circles_stars
 + ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] (Advance with a flurry of quick strokes, pushing hard to make him move back)~ + a248
 + ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] (Advance with a flurry of quick strokes, pushing hard to make him move back)~ + secondary_point_pc
 + ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] (Advance with a flurry of quick strokes, pushing hard to make him move back)~ + a251
 + ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] (Deflect his riposte, moonlight flashing along the blade as it drives towards his throat)~ + a248
 + ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] (Deflect his riposte, moonlight flashing along the blade as it drives towards his throat)~ + a250
 + ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] (Deflect his riposte, moonlight flashing along the blade as it drives towards his throat)~ + secondary_point_aran
 + ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, parrying each of his thrusts)~ + defensive_one_sword
 + ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, parrying each of his thrusts)~ + defensive_three_sword
 + ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, parrying each of his thrusts)~ + aran_circles_stars
 + ~Global("c-aransp1","LOCALS",0)~ + ~[PC] Your bootlace is coming untied...~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp1","LOCALS",1)~ + a254
 + ~Global("c-aransp1","LOCALS",1)~ + ~[PC] Didn't we do this already? You have to learn to be more creative, Aran.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp1","LOCALS",2)~ + a255
 + ~Global("c-aransp1","LOCALS",2)~ + ~[PC] Had enough, oh feeble wielder of swords? I can thrust and parry all night, you know. It does not look like you have the stamina.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp1","LOCALS",3)~ + a256
 + ~Global("c-aransp1","LOCALS",3)~ + ~[PC] Come on, just a few more exchanges, and I will have thoroughly humiliated you...~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp1","LOCALS",4)~ + a257
 + ~Global("c-aransp1","LOCALS",4)~ + ~[PC] Hey, I am not bad at this. But then again, I always thought that negotiation was the art of saying "let's talk!" till I can find a rock.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp1","LOCALS",5)~ + a258
 + ~Global("c-aransp1","LOCALS",5)~ + ~[PC] Slow, slow, slow - you are slower than honey running uphill on the Spine of the World.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp1","LOCALS",6)~ + a259
END

IF ~~ a250
SAY ~[ARAN] (His blade parries, but yours finds its mark... Aran falls back and his riposte hisses through the air past your ear.)~
IF ~Global("c-aransp2","LOCALS",0)~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp2","LOCALS",1)~ GOTO c-pcpoint1
IF ~Global("c-aransp2","LOCALS",1)~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp2","LOCALS",2)~ GOTO c-pcpoint2
IF ~Global("c-aransp2","LOCALS",2)~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp2","LOCALS",3)~ GOTO c-pcpoint3
IF ~OR(2) GlobalGT("c-aransp2","LOCALS",2) GlobalGT("c-aransp3","LOCALS",2)~ GOTO damn_it_this_sux_2
END

IF ~~ secondary_point_pc
SAY ~[ARAN] (Your blade finds its mark, and Aran falls back, wiping the sweat from his brow.)~
IF ~Global("c-aransp2","LOCALS",0)~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp2","LOCALS",1)~ GOTO c-pcpoint1
IF ~Global("c-aransp2","LOCALS",1)~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp2","LOCALS",2)~ GOTO c-pcpoint2
IF ~Global("c-aransp2","LOCALS",2)~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp2","LOCALS",3)~ GOTO c-pcpoint3
IF ~OR(2) GlobalGT("c-aransp2","LOCALS",2) GlobalGT("c-aransp3","LOCALS",2)~ GOTO damn_it_this_sux_2
END

IF ~~ a251
SAY ~[ARAN] (His blade parries quickly, and the point of his foil dances forward to tap your shoulder.)~
IF ~Global("c-aransp3","LOCALS",0)~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp3","LOCALS",1)~ GOTO c-aranpoint1
IF ~Global("c-aransp3","LOCALS",1)~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp3","LOCALS",2)~ GOTO c-aranpoint2
IF ~Global("c-aransp3","LOCALS",2)~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp3","LOCALS",3)~ GOTO c-aranpoint3
END

IF ~~ secondary_point_aran
SAY ~[ARAN] (You feel the point of his foil tap quickly on your cheat, then on your throat, his body overbalancing as he spins past you.)~
IF ~Global("c-aransp3","LOCALS",0)~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp3","LOCALS",1)~ GOTO c-aranpoint1
IF ~Global("c-aransp3","LOCALS",1)~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp3","LOCALS",2)~ GOTO c-aranpoint2
IF ~Global("c-aransp3","LOCALS",2)~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp3","LOCALS",3)~ GOTO c-aranpoint3
END

IF ~~ c-aranpoint1
 SAY ~[ARAN] A point to me, there. Not bad for a sellsword, eh? Just don't be usin' none o' those fancy powers o' yours to make up th' difference.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO eval_filter_aranpoint
END

IF ~~ c-aranpoint2
 SAY ~[ARAN] Ilmater's Blood, another point to me, there. I must be gettin' good, or somethin'.~
END

IF ~~ c-aranpoint3
 SAY ~[ARAN] That be three points to me, eh? I do believe I be schoolin' you proper, boyo.~
END

IF ~~ c-pcpoint1
 SAY ~[ARAN] A point to you, there. A lucky shot? Or do you be just gettin' warmed up?~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO filter_pcpoint
END

IF ~~ c-pcpoint2
 SAY ~[ARAN] Bane's Bones, another point to you. You be right close to winnin' this, I think. I had best be steppin' up my game.~
END

IF ~~ c-pcpoint3
 SAY ~[ARAN] A point to you, there. Sune's Sweet Caress, you done got me, I think.~
END

IF ~~ filter_pcpoint
 SAY ~[ARAN] (He backs away, whipping his foil through the night air, muttering somthing under his breath.)~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO c-pcpointevaluation_pc   
END

IF ~~ eval_filter_aranpoint
 SAY ~[ARAN] (He backs away, whipping his foil through the night air.)~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO c-pcpointevaluation_aran  
END

IF ~~ c-pcpointevaluation_aran
 SAY ~[ARAN]  Aye, feels good to get a point. I like winnin'.~
 IF ~Global("c-aransp3","LOCALS",0)~ GOTO damn_it_this_sux 
 IF ~Global("c-aransp3","LOCALS",1)~ GOTO c-swordfilter1 
 IF ~Global("c-aransp3","LOCALS",2)~ GOTO c-swordfilter2
 IF ~GlobalGT("c-aransp3","LOCALS",2)~ GOTO a261
END 

IF ~~ c-pcpointevaluation_pc
 SAY ~[ARAN] Cyric's Cruel Laugh, I needs get myself movin'. I hate loosin'.~
 IF ~Global("c-aransp2","LOCALS",0)~ GOTO damn_it_this_sux 
 IF ~Global("c-aransp2","LOCALS",1)~ GOTO c-swordfilter3
 IF ~Global("c-aransp2","LOCALS",2)~ GOTO c-swordfilter4
 IF ~GlobalGT("c-aransp2","LOCALS",2)~ GOTO a260 
END 

/* troubleshooting */
IF ~~ damn_it_this_sux
 SAY ~[CMORGAN] ERROR. Something is screwed up - the LOCALS did not set.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ damn_it_this_sux_2
 SAY ~[CMORGAN] ERROR. Something is screwed up - the LOCALS are past the point they should be for evaluation.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ c-swordfilter1
 SAY ~[ARAN] All right, I be ready to roll again. Make it count, eh? No fun if there be no sweatin'.~
 + ~RandomNum(2,1)~ + ~[PC] En Garde...~ + a252
 + ~RandomNum(2,2)~ + ~[PC] En Garde...~ + a253
 + ~RandomNum(4,4)~ + ~[PC] (Step back, blade pointing directly at his eye, then advance with a flurry of quick strokes)~ + a248
 + ~RandomNum(4,3)~ + ~[PC] (Step back, blade pointing directly at his eye, then advance with a flurry of quick strokes)~ + a249
 + ~RandomNum(4,2)~ + ~[PC] (Step back, blade pointing directly at his eye, then advance with a flurry of quick strokes)~ + a250
 + ~RandomNum(4,1)~ + ~[PC] (Step back, blade pointing directly at his eye, then advance with a flurry of quick strokes)~ + a251
 + ~RandomNum(4,4)~ + ~[PC] (Feint suddenly, then cut upwards, flicking your blade towards his throat)~ + a249
 + ~RandomNum(4,3)~ + ~[PC] (Feint suddenly, then cut upwards, flicking your blade towards his throat)~ + a249
 + ~RandomNum(4,2)~ + ~[PC] (Feint suddenly, then cut upwards, flicking your blade towards his throat)~ + secondary_point_pc
 + ~RandomNum(4,1)~ + ~[PC] (Feint suddenly, then cut upwards, flicking your blade towards his throat)~ + secondary_point_aran
 + ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, parrying each of his thrusts)~ + defensive_two_sword
 + ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, parrying each of his thrusts)~ + aran_circles_moon
 + ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, parrying each of his thrusts)~ + aran_circles_stars
 + ~Global("c-aransp1","LOCALS",1)~ + ~[PC] You have to learn to be more creative, Aran. You could have thrown something, or kicked, or something. You are making this too easy.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp1","LOCALS",2)~ + a255
 ++ ~[PC] I have had enough of this. I call truce!~ + a267
END

IF ~~ c-swordfilter2
 SAY ~[ARAN] Melliki's Quiver, that stings. I should o' checked on th' tips, on account o' I got a little scratch back there I didn't feel until now.~
 + ~RandomNum(2,1)~ + ~[PC] Excuses, excuses. En Garde...~ + a252
 + ~RandomNum(2,2)~ + ~[PC] Excuses, excuses. En Garde...~ + a253
 + ~RandomNum(4,4)~ + ~[PC] (Step back, blade pointing low, then advance with a flurry of quick strokes)~ + a248
 + ~RandomNum(4,3)~ + ~[PC] (Step back, blade pointing low, then advance with a flurry of quick strokes)~ + a249
 + ~RandomNum(4,2)~ + ~[PC] (Step back, blade pointing low, then advance with a flurry of quick strokes)~ + a250
 + ~RandomNum(4,1)~ + ~[PC] (Step back, blade pointing low, then advance with a flurry of quick strokes)~ + a251
 + ~RandomNum(4,4)~ + ~[PC] (Feint suddenly, then cut upwards, flicking your blade towards his throat)~ + a248
 + ~RandomNum(4,3)~ + ~[PC] (Feint suddenly, then cut upwards, flicking your blade towards his throat)~ + a249
 + ~RandomNum(4,2)~ + ~[PC] (Feint suddenly, then cut upwards, flicking your blade towards his throat)~ + a250
 + ~RandomNum(4,1)~ + ~[PC] (Feint suddenly, then cut upwards, flicking your blade towards his throat)~ + secondary_point_aran
 + ~Global("c-aransp1","LOCALS",1)~ + ~[PC] You have to learn to be more creative, Aran. You could have thrown something, or kicked, or something. You are making this too easy.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp1","LOCALS",2)~ + a255
END

IF ~~ c-swordfilter3
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, we be gettin' some exercise, I do believe. Though you be pantin' somethin' fierce. I should never have cooked that turnip curry tonight... *phew*!~
 + ~RandomNum(2,1)~ + ~[PC] Hey, my breath is nothing compared to the gaseous cloud you have been laying. And here I thought you had to use spellcraft to make a place uninhabitable.~ + a252
 + ~RandomNum(2,2)~ + ~[PC] Hey, my breath is nothing compared to the gaseous cloud you have been laying. And here I thought you had to use spellcraft to make a place uninhabitable.~ + a253
 + ~RandomNum(4,4)~ + ~[PC] (Step back, blade pointing low, then advance with rapid, precise strokes)~ + a248
 + ~RandomNum(4,3)~ + ~[PC] (Step back, blade pointing low, then advance with rapid, precise strokes)~ + a249
 + ~RandomNum(4,2)~ + ~[PC] (Step back, blade pointing low, then advance with with rapid, precise strokes)~ + secondary_point_pc
 + ~RandomNum(4,1)~ + ~[PC] (Step back, blade pointing low, then advance with with rapid, precise strokes)~ + a251
 + ~RandomNum(4,4)~ + ~[PC] (Feint suddenly, then cut sideways, flicking your blade towards his throat)~ + a248
 + ~RandomNum(4,3)~ + ~[PC] (Feint suddenly, then cut sideways, flicking your blade towards his throat)~ + a249
 + ~RandomNum(4,2)~ + ~[PC] (Feint suddenly, then cut sideways, flicking your blade towards his throat)~ + a250
 + ~RandomNum(4,1)~ + ~[PC] (Feint suddenly, then cut sideways, flicking your blade towards his throat)~ + secondary_point_aran
END

IF ~~ c-swordfilter4
 SAY ~[ARAN] Do it be me, or do it be gettin' right hot around here?~
 + ~RandomNum(2,1)~ + ~[PC] I think it is you, Aran, feeling the pressure of my superior skills and better looks.~ + a252
 + ~RandomNum(2,2)~ + ~[PC] I think it is you, Aran, feeling the pressure of my superior skills and better looks.~ + a253
 + ~RandomNum(4,4)~ + ~[PC] (Step back, blade pointing low, then advance with rapid, precise strokes)~ + a248
 + ~RandomNum(4,3)~ + ~[PC] (Step back, blade pointing low, then advance with rapid, precise strokes)~ + a249
 + ~RandomNum(4,2)~ + ~[PC] (Step back, blade pointing low, then advance with rapid, precise strokes)~ + secondary_point_pc
 + ~RandomNum(4,1)~ + ~[PC] (Step back, blade pointing low, then advance with rapid, precise strokes)~ + a251
 + ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, watching for each of his motions and countering)~ + defensive_one_sword
 + ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, watching for each of his motions and countering)~ + defensive_two_sword
 + ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, watching for each of his motions and countering)~ + defensive_three_sword
 + ~RandomNum(4,4)~ + ~[PC] (Feint suddenly, then cut sideways, flicking your blade towards his throat)~ + a248
 + ~RandomNum(4,3)~ + ~[PC] (Feint suddenly, then cut sideways, flicking your blade towards his throat)~ + a249
 + ~RandomNum(4,2)~ + ~[PC] (Feint suddenly, then cut sideways, flicking your blade towards his throat)~ + a250
 + ~RandomNum(4,1)~ + ~[PC] (Feint suddenly, then cut sideways, flicking your blade towards his throat)~ + secondary_point_aran
 + ~Global("c-aransp1","LOCALS",4)~ + ~[PC] Hey, I am not bad at this. But then again, I always thought that negotiation was the art of saying "let's talk!" untill I can find a rock.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aransp1","LOCALS",5)~ + a258
END

IF ~~ a252
 SAY ~[ARAN] (His rapier dances forward, boring towards your shoulder.)~
 + ~RandomNum(2,1)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, parrying each of his thrusts)~ + defensive_four_sword
 + ~RandomNum(2,2)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, parrying each of his thrusts)~ + defensive_five_sword
 + ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] (Step back quickly, then advance with a flurry of quick strokes)~ + a249
 + ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] (Spin lightly, ducking under his whispering blade and coming up with a thrust from underneath)~ + secondary_point_pc
 + ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] (Step back quickly, then advance with a flurry of quick strokes)~ + a251
 + ~RandomNum(4,1)~ + ~[PC] (Twist your wrist, deflecting his riposte and flicking your blade towards his throat)~ + a249
 + ~RandomNum(4,2)~ + ~[PC] (Thrust savagely past his guard.)~ + a250
 + ~RandomNum(4,3)~ + ~[PC] (Parry, and lunge forward to the right.)~ + secondary_point_aran
 + ~RandomNum(4,4)~ + ~[PC] (Press forward as fast as you can, in a whirlwind of slashes)~ + a248
END

IF ~~ defensive_one_sword
 SAY ~[ARAN] You can start fightin' any time you want, now, eh? Or are you holdin' back on account o' I'm so feeble?~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a252
END

IF ~~ defensive_two_sword
 SAY ~[ARAN] Defense never won no swordfight. Battles, mayhap. Unless you be tryin' to tire me out...~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a253
END

IF ~~ defensive_three_sword
 SAY ~[ARAN] Nice dancin'. You goin' to take this serious, or do I have to do all th' work?~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a253
END

IF ~~ defensive_four_sword
 SAY ~[ARAN] Nice dancin'. You goin' to take this serious, or do I have to do all th' work?~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a253
END

IF ~~ defensive_five_sword
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a253
END

IF ~~ aran_circles_moon
 SAY ~[ARAN] (Blades spark in the cold light of the moon as you circle, the shadows dancing around you.)~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a253
END

IF ~~ aran_circles_stars
 SAY ~[ARAN] (You circle under the stars, feinting occasionally, the harsh clash of metal skittering along metal an erratic music in your ears.)~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a252
END

IF ~~ added_attack_swordfight
 SAY ~[ARAN] (Aran steps back slightly, arms oustretched, opening his chest for an attack. His grin gleams bright as he bows to you, but his ruse is made apparent when he charges directly at you)~
 + ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] (Advance to meet him, striking first towards his extended knee, then towards his shoulder)~ + a249
 + ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] (Crouch quickly, thrusting up from underneath his blade)~ + secondary_point_pc
 + ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] (Sidestap and slash hard at him)~ + a251
 + ~RandomNum(5,1)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, deflecting both his blade and his charge)~ + defensive_one_sword
 + ~RandomNum(5,2)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, deflecting both his blade and his charge)~ + defensive_two_sword
 + ~RandomNum(5,3)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, deflecting both his blade and his charge)~ + defensive_three_sword
 + ~RandomNum(5,4)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, deflecting both his blade and his charge)~ + aran_circles_moon
 + ~RandomNum(5,5)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, deflecting both his blade and his charge)~ + aran_circles_stars
 ++ ~[PC] (Charge him, foil arcing to slash at his body)~ + a249
END

IF ~~ a253
 SAY ~[ARAN] (His rapier dances forward, boring towards your chest.)~
 + ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] (Advance with a flurry of quick strokes, first towards his extended knee, then towards his shoulder)~ + a249
 + ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] (Crouch quickly, thrusting up from underneath his blade)~ + secondary_point_pc
 + ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] (Sidestap and slash hard at him, advancing with a flurry of quick strokes)~ + a251
 + ~RandomNum(5,1)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, parrying each of his thrusts)~ + defensive_one_sword
 + ~RandomNum(5,2)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, parrying each of his thrusts)~ + defensive_two_sword
 + ~RandomNum(5,3)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, parrying each of his thrusts)~ + defensive_three_sword
 + ~RandomNum(5,4)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, parrying each of his thrusts)~ + aran_circles_moon
 + ~RandomNum(5,5)~ + ~[PC] (Guard closely, on the defensive, parrying each of his thrusts)~ + aran_circles_stars
 + ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] (Deflecting his riposte, flicking your blade towards his throat)~ + a249
 + ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] (Slam straight down towards his head with both hands, then quicky thrust towards his shoulder)~ + a250
 + ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] (Duck under his whispering blade and lunge forward to the right.)~ + a251
END

IF ~~ a254
 SAY ~[ARAN] I'm not bloody well fallin' for that old trick, boyo...~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a252
END

IF ~~ a255
 SAY ~[ARAN] Big talk from th' Bhaalspawn. You tryin' to spar, or kill me wi' your fetid breath?~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a253
END

IF ~~ a256
 SAY ~[ARAN] I got testimony from a couple o' tavern wenches what beg to differ... on both counts!~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a252
END

IF ~~ a257
 SAY ~[ARAN] I been in worse humiliations than this, eh? Just bein' seen wi' you might count as one!~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a253
END

IF ~~ a258
 SAY ~[ARAN] Now that be a truth.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a252
END

IF ~~ a259
 SAY ~[ARAN] But th' ladies find me plenty sweet, eh? I was tryin' to play nice, an' not be remindin' you that you smell like a dungheap, an' swing like a gibberling.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a253
END

IF ~~ a260
 SAY ~[ARAN] Hey, wait a second, now... one, two, three points...  by my count, you just won, fair an' square.~
 ++ ~[PC] Look, now that we have that out of our system, can we just talk?~ + a263
 ++ ~[PC] You know, I am going to turn in. I need some sleep.~ + a229
 ++ ~[PC] Another match?~ + a266
END

IF ~~ a261
 SAY ~[ARAN] Now, wait a moment, eh? one, two, three points... by my count I won, fair an' square.~
 ++ ~[PC] Look, now that we have that out of our system, can we just talk?~ + a263
 ++ ~[PC] You know, I am going to turn in. I need some sleep.~ + a229
 ++ ~[PC] I demand a rematch!~ + a266
END

/* Talk Before Spar*/
IF ~~ a262
 SAY ~[ARAN] Aye. What be on your mind?~
 ++ ~[PC] Oh, nothing much. You know, I need to sort out my own problems. Let's spar.~ + a235
 + ~Gender(Player2,FEMALE) !Name("c-aran",Player2)~ + ~[PC] I do not understand women. Mostly, I do not understand <PLAYER2>.~ + a264
 + ~Gender(Player3,FEMALE) !Name("c-aran",Player3)~ + ~[PC] I do not understand women. Mostly, I do not understand <PLAYER3>.~ + a264
 + ~Gender(Player4,FEMALE) !Name("c-aran",Player4)~ + ~[PC] I do not understand women. Mostly, I do not understand <PLAYER4>.~ + a264
 + ~Gender(Player5,FEMALE) !Name("c-aran",Player5)~ + ~[PC] I do not understand women. Mostly, I do not understand <PLAYER5>.~ + a264
 + ~Gender(Player6,FEMALE) !Name("c-aran",Player6)~ + ~[PC] I do not understand women. Mostly, I do not understand <PLAYER6>.~ + a264
 ++ ~[PC] Why are you doing all this following me around, anyways? I would think you would have struck off on your own by now.~ + a265
 ++ ~[PC] Never mind. I think I would rather not spar tonight, Aran, verbally or physically. I am going to turn in.~ + a229
END

/* Talk After Spar */
IF ~~ a263
 SAY ~[ARAN] Aye. What be on your mind?~
 ++ ~[PC] Oh, nothing much. You know, I need to sort out my own problems.~ + a229
 + ~Gender(Player2,FEMALE) !Name("c-aran",Player2)~ + ~[PC] I do not understand women. Mostly, I do not understand <PLAYER2>.~ + a264
 + ~Gender(Player3,FEMALE) !Name("c-aran",Player3)~ + ~[PC] I do not understand women. Mostly, I do not understand <PLAYER3>.~ + a264
 + ~Gender(Player4,FEMALE) !Name("c-aran",Player4)~ + ~[PC] I do not understand women. Mostly, I do not understand <PLAYER4>.~ + a264
 + ~Gender(Player5,FEMALE) !Name("c-aran",Player5)~ + ~[PC] I do not understand women. Mostly, I do not understand <PLAYER5>.~ + a264
 + ~Gender(Player6,FEMALE) !Name("c-aran",Player6)~ + ~[PC] I do not understand women. Mostly, I do not understand <PLAYER6>.~ + a264
 ++ ~[PC] Why are you doing all this following me around, anyways? I would think you would have struck off on your own by now.~ + a265
 ++ ~[PC] I don't know. You know, I am going to turn in. I need some sleep.~ + a229
END

IF ~~ a264
 SAY ~[ARAN] Oh no you don't, laddie. I got my own woman troubles, an' you don't rightly want no advice from th' likes o' me.~
 = ~[ARAN] Come on, you sorry bastard... enough wi' the chit-chat. We got places what to go, things what to see, an' creatures what to kill. An' a good night's sleep be just th' right way to get started.~
END

IF ~~ a265
 SAY ~[ARAN] I don't rightly know. But I back a friend, no matter what. Even if they don't always be actin' friendly themselves, eh? It just be th' way things are.~
 = ~[ARAN] Come on, you sorry bastard... enough wi' the chit-chat. We done got places to go, things what to see, an' creatures what to kill. An' a good night's sleep be just th' right way to get started.~
END

IF ~~ a266
 SAY ~[ARAN] Oh no you don't, laddie. You will be naught but trouble for me if I don't get enough rest. I'm out, eh?~
 = ~[ARAN] We got places what to go, things what to see, an' creatures what to kill. An' a good night's sleep be just th' right way to get started.~
END

/* Truce breakout to talking. Can cycle back because it can't be approached from before or after the fight. */
IF ~~ a267
 SAY ~[ARAN] Right then.. what be th' problem? You gettin' tired?~
 ++ ~[PC] I just needed a breath of fresh air. You are starting to send out a powerful stench. Come on, let's spar!~ + a252
 ++ ~[PC] Just tired of your big mouth. Come on, let's spar!~ + a252
 ++ ~[PC] I don't know. You know, I am going to turn in. I need some sleep. I am not having much fun doing this.~ + a229
END

IF ~~ a268
 SAY ~[ARAN] Mielikki's Quick temper, I done just.. just.. oh, hells. Fine. Go to bed. I be gettin' on wi' th' chores, like a blighted good little boy.~
 ++ ~[PC] Good night, Aran.~ DO ~RestParty()~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Good to see you follow orders so well.~ DO ~RestParty()~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] I was joking, Aran. Come on, we should head back to camp. Unless you feel like running a few miles, just to get ready for sleep?~ + a266
END

/* End of FT 9 male Sparring Sequence */

edit; dammitt. Forgot Berelinde's notes on some clerics not being willing to use a foil; and the doggone defensive_three_sword defensive_four_sword defensive_five_sword all have the same text. OK, more fixes.

IF ~~ a232

SAY ~[ARAN] Lathander's Luminous Legs, <CHARNAME>, you need a mite but o' sunshine poured into that addled pate o' yours, you do. An' I am just th' man to do it.~

"bit" (?)

IF ~~ a234

SAY ~[ARAN] Bugger that. If I wanted to insult you, I'd be sayin' you smell like th' inside o' a Luskan Cathouse, or look like one o' them Calimshan eunuchs. Bundle o' dried goatskin, my arse.~

Consistency error here I think. The early parts referred to "sheepskin"

++ ~[PC] Why, thank you, sir. And I would respond that your breath is as stunning as an otuyug, but luckily for the otuyug it has the benefit of some redeeming qualities...~ + a240

I could be wrong but isn't it spelled "otyugh"?

IF ~~ a235

SAY ~[ARAN] Aye, then. Here, catch.~

++ ~[PC] (Catch rapier by the hilt and place it to your lips, saluting him.)~ + a247

++ ~[PC] (Catch rapier and extend it away and to your left, ready to fight.)~ + a247

++ ~[PC] (Catch rapier and instantly lunge forward with a direct thrust.)~ + a248

++ ~[PC] (Clumsily catch the rapier and grip it like a club.)~ + a247

END

You have put "catch the rapier" for the last pc response but just "catch rapier" for the others. Probably needs to be "the rapier" for all of them.

IF ~~ a246

SAY ~[ARAN] (Blades clash as Aran blocks the thrust.) Not unless you be expectin' one ' us to die tonight. This be friendly sparrin', not pop 'Aran's eyeball an' clip his brain'. Looks like you can handle yourself right fine. Do you be ready?.~

"one o' us"

IF ~~ secondary_point_aran

SAY ~[ARAN] (You feel the point of his foil tap quickly on your cheat, then on your throat, his body overbalancing as he spins past you.)~

"chest"

I like your fight sequences, btw. Writing action isn't easy.

IF ~~ filter_pcpoint

SAY ~[ARAN] (He backs away, whipping his foil through the night air, muttering somthing under his breath.)~

IF ~~ THEN GOTO c-pcpointevaluation_pc

END

"something"

IF ~~ c-pcpointevaluation_pc

SAY ~[ARAN] Cyric's Cruel Laugh, I needs get myself movin'. I hate loosin'.~

losin'

IF ~~ c-swordfilter2

SAY ~[ARAN] Melliki's Quiver, that stings. I should o' checked on th' tips, on account o' I got a little scratch back there I didn't feel until now.~

"Mielikki"

+ ~RandomNum(4,1)~ + ~[PC] (Step back, blade pointing low, then advance with with rapid, precise strokes)~ + a251

extra "with"

Got them - thanks!

The rewrite is taking longer than i thought. The extreme use of RandomNum() is not working the way I want - for one thing, it is possible to end up with too few transitions before relying on the same LOCALS values, as Berelinde pointed out, and two...

well, i can mke the fight go on forever by choosing carefully. Or i can break out of it and do other things. But the random factor is making it potentially either way too short or way too long to get to the whole 'locked and straining against eachother" scene. Which is kind of the important part, for me - the whole point is Aran has trouble keeping "PC female as friend" in his head, or he would just have the same trash-talking fight as with the male PCs.

Have to wait for her to come back and clarify.

I can't think of a lot of times that you would use the word Moonshae in its singluar form myself. OK, Moonshae Islands, but "Moonshaes" is also correct, kind of like Orkney Islands/Orkneys.

Archived