Bug reports in v30

Like I said, I have Might & Guile installed (all components), as well as SCS, and everything seems to be working fine for me. There are zero warnings in my stratagems.debug file.

EDIT - for reference, here are the SR and SCS versions I am using.

I'm sorry, but I keep getting warnings, warnings and warnings (did I say warnings? WARNINGS!!!!!)

Is there someone that is able to tell me what the hell is going wrong? I'd really like to use some components of MnG but at the same time I cannot invalidate SCS..... What the hell.....

Like I said, I have Might & Guile installed (all components), as well as SCS, and everything seems to be working fine for me. There are zero warnings in my stratagems.debug file.

Fun fact: I started a new game and rushed to the Nashkel Mines to face Greywolf -> He seems to wield two long swords, so probably also the other creatures are ok -> I can probably ignore those "bad" warnings.....

Nevertheless, why you are able to install Smarter General AI without getting warnings? Who knows....

Edited by Luke

No idea. Also, I can't think of any possible way that Might & Guile would affect the Greywolf .cre at all.

Oh, I guess it would apply a warrior fighting stance to him. But that would only use ADD_CRE_EFFECT to give him a passive opcode 248 effect or AC bonus. Nothing that should change his proficiencies or change the way SCS treats him.

No idea. Also, I can't think of any possible way that Might & Guile would affect the Greywolf .cre at all.

Oh, I guess it would apply a warrior fighting stance to him. But that would only use ADD_CRE_EFFECT to give him a passive opcode 248 effect or AC bonus. Nothing that should change his proficiencies or change the way SCS treats him.

These are the MnG components I installed: Revised Archery: 3.6.7, Add the Corsair (fighter kit): 3.6.7, Add the Marksman (fighter kit): 3.6.7, Add the Elven Archer (ranger kit): 3.6.7, Add the Mage Hunter (ranger kit): 3.6.7, Add the Barbarian Ranger (ranger kit): 3.6.7.

As I told you, when Smarter General AI installs fine, Greywolf.cre has the two effects Modify Proficiencies (233) granting him 3 pips in two-weapon fighting and 3 pips in long swords.

When Smarter General AI installs with warnings, Greywolf.cre has no effects (i.e., the two Modify Proficiencies (233) are missing). These seem to be his proficiencies: Large sword proficiency, Active class 3 and Bow proficiency, Active class 4 [in the previous case (again, when SCS installs fine): Large sword proficiency, Active class 0 and Bow proficiency, Active class 0.]

The other creatures differ from what is expected in a similar way, i.e., the effects Modify Proficiencies (233) are missing....

Edited by Luke

What is Greywolf's class and kit? None of those components should affect him at all. Have you run change-log to check that?

Even if there were an ability of something missing from a clab table, that would have no impact on gameplay aside from SCS-enhanced creatures not being able to use that ability. (Which means there would be no impact on gameplay at all, because SCS does not know to use such abilities anyway.)

And none of that should affect any NPC's 233 effects (not even Scales of Balance does that anymore.)

So, whatever is happening, I'm not seeing it.

What is Greywolf's class and kit? None of those components should affect him at all. Have you run change-log to check that?

If you check with NI, you'll find out that Greywolf is an unkitted fighter (level 7/2/1).

Edited by Luke

Even if there were an ability of something missing from a clab table, that would have no impact on gameplay aside from SCS-enhanced creatures not being able to use that ability. (Which means there would be no impact on gameplay at all, because SCS does not know to use such abilities anyway.)

There's a difference between usable and useful ability.

Say the BG2EE character has a +1 Thac0 -boost done via AP_**. It's useful, but it doesn't require the AI to use it, as it's not an ability. And it matters not if the clab file reference is a GA_ or AP_ ... to SCS.

SCS can use either as it just effect's their .cre file. But say, the same reference is not included in BG1EE game, cause why would it be ? It's a Level 19 ability and the game doesn't use it*, so it's not included... the SCS can show you that the ability isn't included in the game and WARN the player, while still installing the component and not include the AP_** in the .cre file, and warn the player that it has done it -to reduce the risk of crashing the game- via a debug.

*that is, it can be anything the mod maker likes it to be, and so should look that the game has it when the mod is installed. But for SCS it doesn't matter what the game is, or what the level limits are...

Now then, there's another case where the bytes are either mislabeled and the charts have overflown... as I don't see a reason why the active class would be anything other than 1(or zero) for the prof bonuses. The .cre's have standard up to 3 classes, and either Luke is reading that wrong, or the bytes have overflown and the effect should be the bonus, and not the assigned class. Which is why Luke probably bold-ed the cases. So again, you probably want to go and look your effects.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

@Luke, you're not using the "autoinstall" for SCS are you? Last I recall that will cause problems.

Also, have you done uninstall/reinstall a bunch of times? I never uninstall SCS. I will uninstall and reinstall things before SCS goes in, and I will uninstall and reinstall stuff that comes after SCS (like NPC_EE or Ramdomizer), but if SCS needs to be installed again I scrap the whole setup and reinstall everything (including the game itself) from scratch. This practice has served me well...

Okay, I got to my computer, where I can actually test install stuff, and I can actually open and read the error messages you attached to your post. (I'm usually reading from a phone, so I can read error messages pasted into posts in spoiler tags, but I can't open attachments.)

So, I can speak to this now.

1) I'm getting the same errors, specifically, stuff like this:

Warning: it looks as if some entry that should be a key=>value list, isn't (~list~ is currently %RESREF_QD_MCP06_KIT_EFFECTS_REMOVE%, key=%RESREF_QD_MCP04_KIT_EFFECTS_REMOVE%)
FAILURE:
Unable to parse %RESREF_QD_MCP03_KIT_EFFECTS_REMOVE%

For my install, those are the only error messages I'm getting. I don't have time to delve through your .debug file but I'll assume thesame is true for you (since we installed the same mods).

2) Those are references to Aquadrizzt's multiclass kit code. Multiclass kits can be enabled in EE v1.4+, but their CLAB tables don't work: they only use the trueclass CLAB tables. So his functions convert the AP_ and GA_ .SPL files in the multiclass kit's table into .EFF files and adds them to the trueclass table via an AP_ spell containing opcode 177 effects pointing to the multiclass kit. It's very clever, but for some reason SCS doesn't like it. It throws up a bunch of errors and complains that it can't parse those .SPLs with 2 or 20 or 200 177 effects.

Good news is, you game doesn't have any .CRE files that have multiclass kits, and while this stuff affects the trueclass CLAB tables (which is why fighters like Greywolf are seeing the error), it does not affect those tables in any way that affects actual trueclass fighters. So those errors should not change the abilities or behavior of any of the .CRE files throwing the errors. :)

3) None of the above should affect proficiencies in any way. Might & Guile does not strip out any 233 effects from any .CRE. What you are seeing about "Large_Sword" and "Bows" etc. is in the .CRE file from offset 0x6e to 0x75. Those bytes are left over in the .CRE file structure from the old BG1 engine. They are not used (AFAIK) in the BG2 engine, or consequently in the EE engine.

@subtledoctor So:

1) I am not using the autoinstall for SCS.

2) Yes, I have done uninstall/install a bunch of time. Anyway, I've just repeated the procedure with a clean install (i.e., I took Baldur's Gate 2.4.71.zip, unzipped it, installed SR, MnG and SCS) -> I get error messages; they're exactly like the one you posted, followed by (for example):

Failed to apply general-AI patch to IRONGUAR (error message Failure("Unable to parse %RESREF_QD_MCF03_KIT_EFFECTS_REMOVE%"))

Failed to apply general-AI patch to IRONGUAR (error message Failure("Unable to parse %RESREF_QD_MCF03_KIT_EFFECTS_REMOVE%"))
[stratagems_external/workspace/sfo_warnings.txt] loaded, 99151 bytes
Appending to files ...
[stratagems_external/workspace/sfo_warnings.txt] loaded, 99151 bytes
Appended text to [stratagems_external/workspace/sfo_warnings.txt]
override/IRONGUAR.CRE copied to stratagems_external/backup/stratagems/6000/IRONGUAR.CRE, 1176 bytes
Copied [IRONGUAR.CRE] to [override/IRONGUAR.CRE]
[./override/IRONHO.CRE] loaded, 1116 bytes
[./override/ar0125.are] loaded, 9760 bytes

You can have a look at SFO_warnings.txt for further details.....

To sum up:

3) Is it true those warnings are related to MnG (specifically to component 100: Multiclass Kits)?

4) you said my game doesn't have any .CRE files that have multi class kits. This is because I skipped component 100: Multiclass Kits, right?

5) If I install Revised Archers, will SCS use the revised archer kit or the vanilla one? (I do guess the same holds for Revised Kensai......)

I mean, mods that modify kits that are assigned to enemies by SCS are not supposed to cause problems, are they?

6) Last but not least: can these bad warnings be safely ignored?

Edited by Luke

What you are seeing about "Large_Sword" and "Bows" etc. is in the .CRE file from offset 0x6e to 0x75. Those bytes are left over in the .CRE file structure from the old BG1 engine. They are not used (AFAIK) in the BG2 engine, or consequently in the EE engine.

Are you sure ? Cause the last I heard was that the proff bonuses are applied to the .cre's that have the correct type weapons... because of the animation file used, or some such thing.

Aka, if the .cre has two points in the old style large weapons, and it uses the bastard sword animation, they should get the bonus from it. Hobgoblins come to mind.