Photo

Bug reports in v30

521 replies to this topic

#511 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp

• Modders
  • 6400 posts
  • Location:The town where the dead haven't keeled over, yet. In Finland.

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:46 PM

What you are seeing about "Large_Sword" and "Bows" etc. is in the .CRE file from offset 0x6e to 0x75.  Those bytes are left over in the .CRE file structure from the old BG1 engine.  They are not used (AFAIK) in the BG2 engine, or consequently in the EE engine.

Are you sure ? Cause the last I heard was that the proff bonuses are applied to the .cre's that have the correct type weapons... because of the animation file used, or some such thing.
Aka, if the .cre has two points in the old style large weapons, and it uses the bastard sword animation, they should get the bonus from it. Hobgoblins come to mind.
Welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand.
Here's how to install all the ... mods you ever really could want to Infinity Engine games. I removed the stable word from there as Roxanne began to add BS mods that are likely to break compatibility from the BWS.

#512 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modders
  • 2316 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

Jarno I think you're right, which is why the .CRE files don't take penalties in those situations.

UPDATE: after updating MnG to v3.6.8, Smarter General AI installed fine. Did you do something in this regard?

I did, but things are not solved.

The effects in question, as I stated, have to do with multiclass kits. They are .SPL files with a bunch of opcode 177 effects, applying .EFFs to multiclass kits according to their clab table, since the engine does not apply their clab table appropriately.

MnG had been INCLUDEing the QD_multi function in an ALWAYS block in the .tp2, so the functions would be available generally. This means CLABFI01.2da would get the QD_multi entries when any part of the mod is installed. I changed this, so that the QD_multi functions are only invoked when the "multiclass kits" component is installed.

However, that does not fix the problem for any players who actually want to install multiclass kits.

For some reason SCS is indeed choking on those QD_multi spells, even though they are just normal spells with some 177 effects. And it is not just throwing warnings - some of the things SCS is meant to do, are not getting done.

Unfortunately there's not much we can do about this without DavidW. I have NO idea what SCS is doing here, or what is making it choke. Without someone who understands the workings of SCS (kreso? You around? Mike1072?), there's not much we can do except note the issue here, and hope it gets tested and addressed in v31.

:(

Edited by subtledoctor, 08 December 2017 - 03:21 PM.

Faiths & Powers: Spell spheres and kit pack for priests and paladins
Might & Guile: Tweaks and kits for warriors and rogues
Scales of Balance: Game tweaks and rule overhauls
NPC_EE: More options for NPCs in BGEE, SoD, & BG2EE

#513 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp

• Modders
  • 6400 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:47 PM

It could very well be choking on this:
op#177:
9 Kit.ids (only in EEs) ...

Welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand.
Here's how to install all the ... mods you ever really could want to Infinity Engine games. I removed the stable word from there as Roxanne began to add BS mods that are likely to break compatibility from the BWS.

#514 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modders
  • 2316 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:24 AM

1) Wait, for real?? Can 177 not distinguish by kit in the old engine? Man, it's been a while.

2) Nevertheless, SCS v30 is supposed to be compatible with the EEs, and these errors are popping up on EE installs. So it's still a problem.

#515 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp

• Modders
  • 6400 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:34 AM

1) Yeah.

2) Nevertheless, SCS v30 is supposed to be compatible with the EEs, and these errors are popping up on EE installs. So it's still a problem.

That doesn't mean that all the checks are in place to confirm that say v2.5.... EE games content hasn't added features that would be used. Especially when replicating effects ... aka when you copy effects from abilities etc. that you couldn't in the old games. The v30 is nearly 3 years old.

#516 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modders
  • 2316 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:36 PM

Well, right. That's why I'm noting this here, in hopes that maybe it will be addressed in v31. The 2.5 patch is almost finalized, and indications are that it might be that last official update this engine ever gets. If that doesn't deserve one final update to SCS, I'm not sure what does. ;)

Edited by subtledoctor, 09 December 2017 - 03:48 PM.

#517 Cahir

Cahir
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:55 PM

Well, right. That's why I'm noting this here, in hopes that maybe it will be addressed in v31. The 2.5 patch is almost finalized, and indications are that it might be that last official update this engine ever gets. If that doesn't deserve one final update to SCS, I'm not sure what does. ;)

Where are these indications coming from? In fact there is a following passage on the Beamblog that makes me think it won't be the last patch for IE engine.

Worried about a fix or feature that didn’t make it into 2.5? Worry not! We’ve been listening to and recording your feedback this whole time, and we have some exciting plans for more Infinity Engine updates to come. Stay tuned!

Then they summoned me over to join in with them
To the dance of the dead
Into the circle of fire I followed them
Into the middle I was led

#518 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modders
  • 2316 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:06 PM

Ha ha I missed that. I thought the message that went out to a bunch of people on those forums had an air of... finality. Maybe I misread it.

Anyway we still have a seeming incompatibility here between (IMO) two good things. Rather than speculate about the far future, I'd rather identify a solvable problem, and work toward solving it. (Even if that only means dropping a bug report.)

#519 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modders
  • 2316 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:57 PM

I made a new thread for further discussion here:

http://gibberlings3....115#entry257777

Preliminary testing suggests that the issue goes away if you exclude 177 effects from the "kit/proficiency/script features" that are applied to creatures.  This is done by commenting out "177" in line 374 of /stratagems/sfo/general/lib_macro.tpa.  That's not ideal, but it might be close enough to a normal SCS install that you would never know the difference, which is good enough for me.

#520 niux

niux
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:44 AM

Installing [Initialise mod (all other components require this)] [v30]
loading 1 tra file
loading 1 tra file
Creating 1 directory

Reading in data: spellcodes

ERROR Installing [Initialise mod (all other components require this)], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall   4 files for [STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2] component 1000.
Uninstalled      4 files for [STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2] component 1000.
ERROR: Not_found
Detailed error information can be found in the file SETUP-STRATAGEMS.DEBUG . For help troubleshooting installation problems, go to the Sword Coast Stratagems forum at forums.gibberlings3.net.
Using Language [English]

Any ideas what's going on here? Thanks!

#521 niux

niux
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:46 AM

loading 1 tra file
loading 1 tra file
Creating 1 directory

ERROR Installing [Initialise mod (all other components require this)], rolling back to previous state
Detailed error information can be found in the file SETUP-STRATAGEMS.DEBUG . For help troubleshooting installation problems, go to the Sword Coast Stratagems forum at forums.gibberlings3.net.
Using Language [English]

#522 niux

niux
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:47 AM

loading 1 tra file
loading 1 tra file
Creating 1 directory

Using Language [English]

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users