Enhanced Edition Compatibility with L1NPCs

Avehn

So far as I know, the Level 1 NPCs mod does not work or work properly on any of the Enhanced Edition games. This won't change in the near future.

Erhm, have you tried the CrevsDaak's edition a few pages back ? Ouh, yeah, he didn't link to it. It was the other project...

Hmm, why do I always write ChevDaak at first. :O

Anyways, your approach is not the best way to allow people to utilize this mod. It's to wait CrevsDaak to publish the EE including mod. And this.

As fast as possible. And if he needs help, offer it in plenty.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

So, finally, after losing the original one, I had finished a minimal EE-working version. It doesn't modify Hexxat and it doesn't offer the Shaman class, besides it only works in BG2:EE and I haven't tested much but almost everything seems to be working. I think I've missed a couple of Dorn's SoA quests' swords (actually all of them but he can use the one he starts with if you start a new ToB game) but AFAIK I've covered everything else.

I've changed the version number to 2.0 and added lotsa comments to the code. I fixed two small things on the kit ids correction but nothing else I think. I didn't test it in BGT/BG2.

Edited by CrevsDaak

Well, that's fantastic. If I wanted to use this with EET, would it work?

Well, I'm not entirely sure because I haven't tested but yes it should work. I might work on it a bit more today. Edit: nvm, I have a lot of maths homework, can't spend spend much time on this today.

Edited by CrevsDaak

So, finally, after losing the original one, I had finished a minimal EE-working version. It doesn't modify Hexxat and it doesn't offer the Shaman class, besides it only works in BG2:EE and I haven't tested much but almost everything seems to be working. I think I've missed a couple of Dorn's SoA quests' swords (actually all of them but he can use the one he starts with if you start a new ToB game) but AFAIK I've covered everything else.

I've changed the version number to 2.0 and added lotsa comments to the code. I fixed two small things on the kit ids correction but nothing else I think. I didn't test it in BGT/BG2.

You are a hero and a gentleman. Thank you!! :party:

Just out of curiosity: is there any plan to make it work for BG:EE at any point in the future?

Just out of curiosity: is there any plan to make it work for BG:EE at any point in the future?

Probably, but in the near future I plan to add Hexxat, ask Miloch for his code and bugfixes and add the Shaman class (!). Right now I got swamped with homework and tests, but in a month I'll finish school so who cares.

Being a (rather well accomplished at being a rather annoying little) :devlook: , I'll note that's a .tar.gz, not that there's anything wrong at being an @$$40l€ like myself linux mod, but as the original mod was a Windows one, it might be good to attach that one too.

It's not that I use linux, I'm on osx 10.10, but I'm weird and that's why I forget normal people use zip so I usually tgz everything (and I literally never remember to ship WeiDU with it lmao mb).

Holy shit, infinite praise from me if you do update Level1NPC to work with BG:EE and BG2:EE. That's basically the last (and biggest) barrier between me and the enjoyment of those titles.

Well, it works with BG2:EE for now. I yet have to start on the BG:EE version (and the SoD version as well). It's hard to make it work on BG:EE because I have to adapt the code that is there for BGT/TuTu without breaking anything.

Well, it works with BG2:EE for now. I yet have to start on the BG:EE version (and the SoD version as well).

Erhm, and EET too.

You might do best to forget the BG:EE and SoD and just move to EET first and then check later what to use from that to the others. Or NOT. It's up to you of course.

Well, it works with BG2:EE for now. I yet have to start on the BG:EE version (and the SoD version as well).

Erhm, and EET too.

You might do best to forget the BG:EE and SoD and just move to EET first and then check later what to use from that to the others. Or NOT. It's up to you of course.

Oh yeah, I forgot about EET, LOL. Yeah, probably I should do that. Good advice Imp!

Just curious, are you using cpmvars? If so, https://github.com/K4thos/EET/tree/master/EET/other/cpmvars

Alternatively, follow subtledoctor's lead with https://github.com/subtledoctor/NPC_EE#readme and make it dynamic. Read DVs from pdialog and follow the trail, maybe? What's the best way to build a dynamic list of all party-joinable CREs?

Here's an idea for a redesign of L1NPCs:

Build a dynamic list of all party-joinable CREs in the game. Generate code for a "customize everything about this NPC" menu component for each and write them into (separate, or a single monolithic) tph file(s). Then INCLUDE that/those tph file(s) to present a dynamic list of components. WeiDU does let you add components via INCLUDE, right?

Then... make it output the player's selections to an .ini file with a section for each CRE so it's easy to modify by hand afterwards, and process that same ini file to actually apply the changes.

Something like this:

BEGIN ~Use my ini file settings as-is~

SUBCOMPONENT ~What do you want to do?~

DESIGNATED 0

INCLUDE "apply the changes defined in the ini file"

BEGIN ~Show me each NPC so I can customize its settings~

SUBCOMPONENT ~What do you want to do?~

DESIGNATED 1

INCLUDE "code that generates dynamic component tph files"

INCLUDE "all of the generated tph files that let me customize the ini file"

INCLUDE "apply the changes defined in the ini file"

... By having the first option, automated install scripts or personal batch scripts that just want to apply the ini file don't have to worry about dynamic components.

Actually, you don't even need to have multiple components. You could present all of the menus in the customize component without actually making each one a genuinely separate WeiDU component. And you could even append the WeiDU log with "fake component" entries if you want to log exactly which NPCs were changed.

Edited by agb1

The way I do it is to check whether there is a string in the "biography" field at offset 0x1cc. I forget where I borrowed the idea from... one of Camdawg's mods, maybe. Something in Tweaks?

The method depends heavily on an assumption about which .cre files will and won't have a string in that field. It seems risky... but so far, it has not resulted in problems.