Comments on Oversight

Wounded_Lion

You mention in the readme that you assume that the majority of the people of Faerun are True Neutral... I find that assumption odd considering that the alignment description for True Neutral specifically mentions that True Neutral characters are *very rare*. Wouldn't most citizens be Lawful Neutral, and the more rebellious folk be Chaotic Neutral? True Neutral requires a genuine concern for balance (a concern that I think that the average person does not have).

Just my two cents... :)

a Wounded Lion

You mention in the readme that you assume that the majority of the people of Faerun are True Neutral...  I find that assumption odd considering that the alignment description for True Neutral specifically mentions that True Neutral characters are *very rare*.  Wouldn't most citizens be Lawful Neutral, and the more rebellious folk be Chaotic Neutral?  True Neutral requires a genuine concern for balance (a concern that I think that the average person does not have).

Just my two cents...  :)

a Wounded Lion

There are multiple descriptions of each alignment, including at least one that says True Neutral is very rare and one that says it's the most common alignment. However, the one that says it's very rare talks about "genuine concern for balance," and leaves no place for lack of philosophical committment--everyone must be Lawful, or Chaotic, or Good, or Evil, or think good and evil are equally wrong. One that says it's very common, on the other hand, says it represents a lack of committment or bias. The first one makes very little sense to me--no, I happen to know not everyone takes a strong position on the value of order, and I'm pretty sure practically no one actually understands the concepts of good or evil and wants a balance between them--so the latter is what I went with. That doesn't mean most people in the world believe in balance between good and evil, order [or "law"] and chaos; it means that a plurality of people in the world are not good enough to be listed as good, evil enough to be listed as evil, orderly enough to be listed as lawful, or chaotic enough to be listed as chaotic.

Ah, True Neutral as an expression of Apathy! lol. Hmm... interesting. I was not aware of the 'indecisive' description. Your decision makes a bit more sense now.

On a side note, I always interpreted True Neutral characters as not believing in good and evil per se... so the whole 'keeping the balance' thing would actually entail making sure the fools on either side of a good-evil conflict don't wipe the other side out.

:)

a W.L.

Archived