Set up here with inlined just for reporting here - the related .baf is an independent file.

CODE

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~ar6111.are~ THEN BEGIN // ToB dialog file

COMPILE ~aranw/dialog/c-arantobdialog.d~

// USING ~aranw/dialog/%s/setup.tra~

/* ToB Scripts */

COMPILE ~aranw/baf/c-aranx.baf~

COMPILE ~aranw/baf/c-arn25.baf~

// USING ~aranw/dialog/%s/setup.tra~

/* Epilogues : Script */

<<<<<ar6200_epilog_ext.baf

/* Epilogue: PC Refused Godhood, Low Rep, regardless of friendship or romance status */

IF

Global("StartEndBios","AR6200",1)

InPartyAllowDead("c-aran")

!Global("PlayerChoseEssence","GLOBAL",1)

ReputationLT(Player1,10)

Global("c-aranbio","GLOBAL",0)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

SetGlobal("c-aranbio","GLOBAL",1)

TextScreen("C-ARANE0")

SmallWait(1)

Continue()

END

/* PC Refused Godhood, Friendship */

IF

ReputationGT(Player1,9)

!Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",2)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

TextScreen("C-ARANE2")

SmallWait(1)

Continue()

END

/* PC Refused Godhood, Romance */

IF

ReputationGT(Player1,9)

Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",2)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

TextScreen("C-ARANE3")

SmallWait(1)

Continue()

END

/* PC Became God, Friendship */

IF

ReputationGT(Player1,9)

Global("PlayerChoseEssence","GLOBAL",1)

!Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",2)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

TextScreen("C-ARANE2")

SmallWait(1)

Continue()

END

/* PC Accepted Godhood, Romance, Good or Neutral */

IF

!GlobalGT("PPEvilChoices","GLOBAL",2)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

TextScreen("C-ARANE4")

SmallWait(1)

Continue()

END

/* PC Accepted Godhood, Romance, Evil */

IF

GlobalGT("PPEvilChoices","GLOBAL",2)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

TextScreen("C-ARANE5")

SmallWait(1)

Continue()

END

>>>>>

EXTEND_TOP ~AR6200.bcs~ ~aranw/baf/ar6200_epilog_ext.baf~

/* Epilogue 1: Low Rep, regardless of friendship or romance status */

COPY ~aranw/media/blankepilogue.2da~ ~override/C-ARANE0.2da~

REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~PORTRAIT~ ~C-ARANWL~

REPLACE 99999 ~The years of following in <CHARNAME>'s shadow took their toll on Aran, though not a single instance of him complaining is recorded. After a time, he withdrew from <PRO_HISHER> side, claiming injury, and set out for the wild coast of Maztican. Rejoining the Flaming Fist there gave him one last brush with glory - his name still graces the List of Brotherhood in the Flaming Fist training facilities there. Discovering new love with a Cleric of Sune Firehair, his sons and daughters grew up listening to bard's tales of the adventures of <CHARNAME> and <PRO_HISHER> followers, but their persistence in trying to get Aran to speak of those days went unanswered. Of <CHARNAME> <PRO_HIMHER>self, Aran refused to speak.~

COPY ~aranw/media/blankepilogue.2da~ ~override/C-ARANE1.2da~

REPLACE 99999 ~There are few places in history for followers and companions, and Aran was no exception. He traveled the breadth and depth of Toril in service to <CHARNAME>, often dispatched to assist other companions and causes dear to <CHARNAME>'s heart. Discovering new love with a Cleric of Sune Firehair, his sons and daughters grew up listening to bard's tales of the adventures of <CHARNAME> and <PRO_HISHER> followers. As Aran tells it, the greatest moment in Aran's life came when his eldest daughter took up the way of the sword and pledged herself to <CHARNAME>'s protection. The second best moment was when his new wife finally managed to teach him to speak with correct pronunciation (though she never did erase his swearing completely).~

COPY ~aranw/media/blankepilogue.2da~ ~override/C-ARANE2.2da~

REPLACE 99999 ~There are few places in history for followers and companions, and Aran was no exception. He traveled the breadth and depth of Toril in service to <CHARNAME>, often dispatched to assist other companions and causes dear to <CHARNAME>'s heart. Discovering new love with a Cleric of Sune Firehair, his sons and daughters grew up listening to bard's tales of the adventures of <CHARNAME> and <PRO_HISHER> followers. Though he never claimed worship of <CHARNAME>, his children relate that the new oaths and blasphemies used when they did something particularly right or particularly wrong seemed to indicate he was profoundly aware of <CHARNAME>'s godhood.~

/* PC Refused Godhood, Romance */

COPY ~aranw/media/blankepilogue.2da~ ~override/C-ARANE3.2da~

REPLACE 99999 ~Aran's depth of devotion to <CHARNAME> continued to grow, serving for the following years without question or complaint. Though the histories never indicate precisely the nature of their romance, there is no question of his loyalty. His final act of devotion came giving up his life in order to protect her. There are no reliable sources, but bard's tales say that his last words were "Blighted hells, <CHARNAME>... did we have to come Planewalkin' here?"~

COPY ~aranw/media/blankepilogue.2da~ ~override/C-ARANE4.2da~

REPLACE 99999 ~Aran's depth of devotion to <CHARNAME> continued to grow, serving as Her right hand on Faerun. His constant work furthering her causes helped develop a respectable following, and his willingness to travel anywhere in Her name led others to regard him as some sort of high priest... a notion that often was dispelled in a barrage of blasphemy and cursing. As the histories recount, his last days on this mortal plane were spent comfortably on Evermeet, attempting to arrange a joint project between the followers of <CHARNAME> and Hanali Celanil's Order of the Ruby Rose to commemorate what would have been <CHARNAME>'s eightieth mortal birth-day celebration.~

COPY ~aranw/media/blankepilogue.2da~ ~override/C-ARANE5.2da~

REPLACE 99999 ~Aran's depth of devotion to <CHARNAME> continued to grow, serving for the following years without question or complaint. His constant work furthering her causes eventually corrupted him completely, though later writings indicate growing fear and desolation as his mortality left him increasingly unable to serve <CHARNAME> in the manner she wished. It is a mark of their love that when a Paladin of Helm finally ended Aran's life, <CHARNAME> herself personally blasted the woman into nothingness, causing a minor skirmish in the wars of the gods.~

END /* of ToB installation */

Well, I should probably take a look at that - I think there are some mods that set up the script to make long-lived races (like elves0 have different ones -

I still haven't decided on the whole "let PC specifically say they are monogamous and getting married". I don't want to write a wedding. I don't mind adding more epilogues.

I am not going to, but am still attracted to, a huge abuse of the system that floated out there a few years ago where it was suggested that there be more of a "build the end to fit the events closely" approach. I just can't see a simple way of constructing the epilogue that way, without some serious messing about.

The only way I could really think of would break up the materials into a series of these panels - but doing that kind of slideshow would be markedly different from anything the BioWare's do to an extent that I don't like. And I am not going to create a "tweak all the wendings for all the BioCrew®" mod. Heck, i can't even seem to finish this one ???

(edit: dammit - I wonder. Does that .2da really work the way it looks like it does? Hmmmm...)

Sure. I should add two more potential endings, then - MWC, MW/OC. Player Choice loophole - in designing these I made them open for both "exclusive' and "multi-partner", at the expense of detail (and of more happy endings).

There are some mods out there with code that allows this; Kelsey, for example, lets players have a talk or two and sets up some details.

I'll poke about, too, as I really want to know if erik's pointer actually works in-game. I have not seen anything that indicates it has ever been used, even with the BioWare crew.

Actually, the .2da thing working or not working is moot. Using the existing structure (initiating through script) is flexible enough; anything that table can do, we can do better (and more targetted).

JCompton's Kelsey_ToB has a very detailed implementation of this , setup-kelseytob.tp2, lines 77-108; lines 170-201.

the script extension itself has to be an EXTEND_TOP for these epilogues as the last block in the script runs the end credits, but it looks like everything still evaluates even with an original vanilla initial block of

IF
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	SetCursorState(TRUE)
	SmallWait(1)
	Continue()
END

It might be fun to try to get fancy and tuck Aran''s stuff in between original things, but it loks like there is great potential for flakiness in the script already; probably best to stick with what other folks have proven works. The end bios are fun for completionist players like me, but there is no reason to try to fancy up what can be done with <MYDIALOGTOKENOFCHOICE>, REPLACE_TEXTUALLY, and a good ol' fashioned script block.

We'd need a few more globals set by talks:

vanillas already are

Global("StartEndBios","AR6200",1) = run this puppy

!Global("PlayerChoseEssence","GLOBAL",1) = PC not a god

Global("PlayerChoseEssence","GLOBAL",1) = PC now a god

GlobalGT("PPEvilChoices","GLOBAL",2) = PC is an Evil, Evil God

Aran's added ones:

Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",2) = in romance

Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",3) = broken up/no longer together romantically

Global("c-aranchosen","GLOBAL",1) = PC made commitment to Aran but not marriage

Global("c-aranchosen","GLOBAL",2) = PC made commitment to Aran to marry after everything is over

Global("c-aranchosen","GLOBAL",3) = PC made commitment to Aran to marry after everything is over and specifically said she wanted eventually to have children

Global("c-aranbio","GLOBAL",0) = bio not run yet

That should cover the bases. (No option for "had kids but no marriage" - imagination can provide for that if I leave the "committed but no marriage' option open enough for interpretation.

The toughest thing about writing these "closure" snippets is just that. Everyone has their own imagination about what happens next, and these serve as constraints to that freedom, rather than helpers. "And They Lived Happily Ever After" is actually a really powerful tool, not a cop-out. I'd rather have a fling of imagination for Taran Wanderer or Harry Potter, rather than read about them in a brief tie-up. I want to keep the characters alive and active in my imagination, without a grim reminder of the eventuality of The Old Age Home For Decaying Heroes Of The Realm.

Actually, the .2da thing working or not working is moot. Using the existing structure (initiating through script) is flexible enough; anything that table can do, we can do better (and more targetted).

Baah. My evil plan failed. You mean I have to test it myself? :) (In the NPC mod that will never leave my PC)

Another idea to derail you - SoA-only epilogues for the I-don't-have-ToB-and-it-never-existed-LALALA case. :)

So you are adding more epilogues then, yes? 'Cause if after a successful romance run, battling dragons, demi gods and the prince of demons himself, the epilogue reads that Charname managed to get her beloved kill on some planar hopping joy ride I might have to start writing hate mail :p I want my happy ending!!

Current version (traified, 11/10/2013) has only these epilogues.

Restructuring -

/* Epilogue 1: Low Rep, regardless of friendship or romance status */

-Already included. Tighten scripting to account for new player choice options

/* PC Refused Godhood, Romance */ Determine by choice of marriage or refusal of marriage. No marriage in-game-happens afterwards.

-NEW: Player Choice: Marriage.

-NEW: Player Choice: Lover.

-NEW: Player Choice: Companion/Friend -Already included. Tighten scripting to account for new player choice options

I definitely agree. Just trying to get a handle on the cleanest way of introducing player choice without giving PC a Purity Test. I wrote him so angsty because I am too lazy have troubles determining what range of choices really to support - and more importantly, how to choose them indirectly.

And this is why I should never mod. Probably not going to happen, but if we wanted to *really* make everything crazy, and play with Thimblerig's ideas about evolving stories, then i guess we would do something like this:

/* player choice confirmation: PC refuses Godhood (!Evil) */

IF ~Rom=2~ THEN BEGIN playerchoices_confirmation

SAY ~[ARAN] ~

DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranmarriage","GLOBAL",0) SetGlobal("c-aranhavefamily","GLOBAL",0) SetGlobal("c-aranpcexclusive","GLOBAL",0)~ + nextstate

BLOCK:FRIENDSHIP SET_LIFESTYLE

++ ~[PC] Change everything to Friendship and Part Ways~ "I see you as a friend, and I choose another path or another person"

++ ~[PC] Change everything to Friendship with Benefits and Part Ways~ "I see you as a lover, but we really could never work out"

++ ~[PC] Change everything to Friendship with Benefits but Never Part Ways: Adventuring Life~ "I see us as lovers blazing a trail across the face of Faerun, or even beyond."

++ ~[PC] Change everything to Friendship with Benefits but Never Part Ways: City Life~ "I see us as a pair of wild lovers, comfortable in Waterdeep"

++ ~[PC] Change everything to Friendship with Benefits but Never Part Ways: Country Life~ "I see us as a pair of lovers, regaling our friends at Winter Festival with our tales of past glories"

++ ~[PC] Choose Again~ LOOP_BACK:CHOOSE_AGAIN

BLOCK:NOT_MARRIED SET_RELATIONSHIP

++ ~[PC] Change everything to Not Married With No Children, Aran as Prince Charming~ + "I see you protecting me"

++ ~[PC] Change everything to Not Married With No Children, PC as Prince Charming~ + "I see myself protecting our love"

++ ~[PC] Change everything to Not Married With No Children, PC and Aran as Equals~ + "I see us protecting and cherishing each other"

++ ~[PC] Change everything to Not Married With Children, Aran as Prince Charming~ + "I see you protecting me and our children"

++ ~[PC] Change everything to Not Married With Children, PC as Prince Charming~ + "I see myself protecting our love and our children"

++ ~[PC] Change everything to Not Married With Children, PC and Aran as Equals~ + "I see us protecting and cherishing each other and our family"

BLOCK:MARRIED SET_RELATIONSHIP

++ ~[PC] Change everything to Married With No Children, Aran as Prince Charming~ + "I see you protecting me and our marriage" + CHOICE:NOCHILDREN

++ ~[PC] Change everything to Married With No Children, PC as Prince Charming~ + "I see myself protecting our love and our marriage" + CHOICE:NOCHILDREN

++ ~[PC] Change everything to Married With No Children, PC and Aran as Equals~ + "I see us protecting and cherishing each other our marriage" + CHOICE:NOCHILDREN

++ ~[PC] Change everything to Married With Children, Aran as Prince Charming~ + "I see you protecting me, our marriage, and our children" + CHOICE:CHILDREN

++ ~[PC] Change everything to Married With Children, PC as Prince Charming~ + "I see myself protecting our love, our marriage, and our children" + CHOICE:CHILDREN

++ ~[PC] Change everything to Married With Children, PC and Aran as Equals~ + "I see us protecting and cherishing each other, our marriage, and our family" + CHOICE:CHILDREN

BLOCK:NOCHILDREN SET_LIFESTYLE

Adventuring Life~

City Life~

Country Life~

BLOCK:CHILDREN SET_LIFESTYLE

Adventuring Life~

City Life~

Country Life~

These have to be set over multiple talks, but have to be forced - to make this kind of player choice work, the player has to be forced into decision points so that the correct vars can be set.

Hmmm. Kelsey runs this over basically two talks, and makes inferences/sets vars to discuss possible outcomes. I guess we have three big choices, and then fallout, so three talks, I think -

D1: Friend or True Love

D2: Legacy or Shooting Star (Children or No Children)

D3: Marriage: Yes or No

If we cast it this way, it means the "little d's" like city, country, or adventuring, etc. can fit themselves in.

We can also let these play out as talks about "what if", or "If wishes came true and were not subject to a Dispell magic clause" or something like that, and then do what PC does.If she accepts Godhood, she turns her back on all those choices.

I think this would need to be broken down even further, though - becasue a PC headed for Evil gGodhood might not play the "what if" game the same way. And these have too many choices. So perhaps another decision tree pass before messing about writing, because it is hard to stay on track.

Sample writing sketch:

[ARAN] Now I been thinkin'. That were a right fine picture you painted th' other day. Me an' you, wanderin' across th' face o' Toril, hand in hand, seekin' out trouble an' conquerin' it all. Well, not quite on th' hands thing, on account o' I needs be holdin' my weapon, eh?

[PC] I changed my mind.

[ARAN] Eh?

[PC] I know I pushed you away when you asked me. But things have changed. I have changed.

[ARAN] Do you be sayin' you want to marry me?

[PC] Yes. And I want us to be happy. I want beautiful children.

[ARAN] An' I suppose you have some idea where these children o' ours might be playin about growin' up?

[PC] Oh, I want it all. I want them running across the green sward towards the river, laughing happily as we watch our holding.

[PC] Oh, I want it all. I want them running through the townhouse, knocking over your armor stand and spilling ink everywhere, laughing with glee.

[PC] Oh, I want it all. I want the inn. I want the country house. I want quiet, I want stable smell and rusting iron, and most of all I just want you.

[ARAN] As you wish. ??OK, no Princess bride quote - trying to be serious, here

[ARAN] Then I have my work cut out for me when this be over. Havin' me, well, that be checked off th' list right proper. Gettin' title to a nice steading, now that sounds like our next quest, it do.

Archived