Modders Questions to IWD in EET

Roxanne

Probably you are by now aware that I am in the process to re-build Sandrah NPC for EET.

- She already is a continuous companion that can follow the PC through the whole existing game including all the areas and plots introduced by existing BGT mods and megamods.

- Sandrah has excessive crossmod contents with the BG1/BG2 cast both vanilla and all the mod NPCs that come with enough contents from the original mods. She adds contents to mods like NTotSC, DSotSC, TDD, Grey Clan etc...

- So in summary - it would be odd if you had her in the party during IWD without contributing (and you would lose her, if you do not take her along should you visit IWD after your relationship/common quest has reached some plot point). She would also involve other NPCs into some conversations during IWD visits, so as a whole the game would be enriched (if you have her in the party).

- On top of that, the new areas could be integrated into the sequels that Sandrah provides for the old trilogy.

Questions

1 you would visit IWD with the party you have from BG side, party dynamics (if there are joinable NPCs in IWD) would be just like the rest of the game?

2 there will be a quest (original quest?) in IWD?

3 from when I played the original IWDs years ago I remember that it was a kind of one way street through game/quest/areas - in your version, will it be possible to go between areas via worldmap as you like (and as they are revealed)?

4 when are IWD map revealed (from Friendly Arm, Northern Areas of BG1, Ulgoth's Beard) or at some event?

5 what is the installation sequence - BGEE - IWDEE >EET>IWD-EET>BG2EE mods + worldmap?

6 are IWD events independent from your BG1/2 vs ToB files (i.e.when you change to the 25files)?

7 can IWD areas visited from ToB and thereafter just like all others?

8 does the chapter/journal scheme of EET apply to IWD (be continuous)?

9 will there be an easy way to identify if IWD is available in an installation (just like presence of some mod)? - my idea would be to have some existing side-quests happen in an IWD area (if it is there) instead of some BG area (that is already the scene for x-other plots) and by this bring new variety into the game. Also would exclude situations where multiple plots from multiple mods use the same area (something like Umar Hills) for their stuff at the same time if one uses IWD instead.

- On top of that, the new areas could be integrated into the sequels that Sandrah provides for the old trilogy.

feel free to do so. All IWD:EE and IWD2 areas will remain open even after finishing the story there. As in vanilla IWD1 Eastheaven is only available at 2 points though:

- the main quest starts in Eastheaven and once you cross Kuldahar Pass the link to area is closed.

- you get there at the end of IWD1 main quest (destroyed version attacked by monsters)

After that the area is no longer visitable, although in IWD1 ending it is stated that people will now work hard to rebuilt it, so you could open access to Eastheaven at some point.

Targos (IWD2 content, designed for higher level parties) will be available via ship travelling (just the first time - once you get there you can move back and forth via worldmap). As has been mentioned in IWD2 intro Targos needs help dealing with goblinoids problem and notices have been posted through the cities promising wealth and fame for adventures that would help with this task. So, the only thing added here is additional expeditions from Baldur's Gate (intro mentions Neverwinter and Luskan). Not sure where to open the possibility to travel there yet. Probably at any point during BG2/ToB.

- you would visit IWD with the party you have from BG side, party dynamics (if there are joinable NPCs in IWD) would be just like the rest of the game?

don't understand this question (I'm not a native speaker). You mean new dialogues between vanilla NPCs? We are looking for writers regarding this task. If you're asking how much NPC dialogues is planned than I can't answer it. I've mentioned that the project need lead writer that would decide on such things and the whole scope of it. It will be hard to find writers, so I think small scope is probably more realistic, at least at the beginning.

- there will be a quest (original quest?) in IWD?

all quests including main quest is available for whole IWD1 and HoF part.

As for the IWD2 than only side quests and main quest up until you resolve Targos problems, even though other areas will be still visitable just without main-quest related dialogues because that wouldn't make sense story wise (later in the game the story ties very closely to IWD1).

- from when I played the original IWDs years ago I remember that it was a kind of one way street through game/quest/areas - in your version, will it be possible to go between areas via worldmap as you like (and as they are revealed)?

IWD1 is indeed pretty linear. Chaninging it would require rewritiing the story, so probably not worth the effort. You can use worldmap of course. And you can go back to vanilla game areas if you wish at any point and continue this journay later on. Up to you how you're going to roleplay it.

IWD2 part will be far more open because after leaving Targos you will be able to visit areas in less linear matter.

- when are IWD map revealed (from Friendly Arm, Northern Areas of BG1, Ulgoth's Beard) or at some event?

for now Eastheaven will show up on map when you take northern exist from Upper Chiontar area (farms above Baldur's Gate city). This area is visitable even in chapter 1 if you keep travelling north (that is true for vanilla game too btw.).

Than when you enter the city you will be greeted with standard IWD Intro. If you enter the tavern original IWD cutscene with Hrothgar is initiated.

- what is the installation sequence - BGEE - IWDEE >EET>IWD-EET>BG2EE mods + worldmap?

doesn't matter. I can't think about anything that would conflict with other mods (maybe tweaks but these are optional and could be installed later). Just don't install IWDification, if you're planning to install IWD-in-EET because the latter already contains every single spell from IWD:EE, so no point in duplicating them.

- are IWD events independent from your BG1/2 vs ToB files (i.e.when you change to the 25files)?

IWD doesn't use BALDUR.BCS / BALDUR25.BCS at all. Banter file is the same in the whole game, so no need to change anything. When there will be dialogue content for vanilla game NPCs than it's probably better to trigger dialogues via area scripts and external files with dialogues rather than Override scripts and Join dialogue file. Of course you could always add the same dialogues / Override script code related to IWD in both normal in ToB versions of dialogues and scripts - doesn't really matter.

- can IWD areas visited from ToB and thereafter just like all others?

yes. Treat it is any other optional stuff from game like Watcher's Keep and Trademeet questline. No point in blocking access to it.

- does the chapter/journal scheme of EET apply to IWD (be continuous)?

IWD chapter variable has been renamed to IWDChapter, so you no longer increase real game chapter. Journal entries will show up on the journal page you currently at. Again, think of it as just a side story like Trademeet, but larger.

-------------

btw. nothing I've mentioned above is set in stone, so feel free to leave feedback and propose different implementation.

feel free to do so. All IWD:EE and IWD2 areas will remain open even after finishing the story there. As in vanilla IWD1 Eastheaven is only available at 2 points though:

- the main quest starts in Eastheaven and once you cross Kuldahar Pass the link to area is closed.

- you get there at the end of IWD1 main quest (destroyed version attacked by monsters)

After that the area is no longer visitable, although in IWD1 ending it is stated that people will now work hard to rebuilt it, so you could open access to Eastheaven at some point.

Targos (IWD2 content, designed for higher level parties) will be available via ship travelling (just the first time - once you get there you can move back and forth via worldmap). As has been mentioned in IWD2 intro Targos needs help dealing with goblinoids problem and notices have been posted through the cities promising wealth and fame for adventures that would help with this task. So, the only thing added here is additional expeditions from Baldur's Gate (intro mentions Neverwinter and Luskan). Not sure where to open the possibility to travel there yet. Probably at any point during BG2/ToB.

- you would visit IWD with the party you have from BG side, party dynamics (if there are joinable NPCs in IWD) would be just like the rest of the game?

don't understand this question (I'm not a native speaker). You mean new dialogues between vanilla NPCs? We are looking for writers regarding this task. If you're asking how much NPC dialogues is planned than I can't answer it. I've mentioned that the project need lead writer that would decide on such things and the whole scope of it. It will be hard to find writers, so I think small scope is probably more realistic, at least at the beginning.

As for the IWD2 than only side quests and main quest up until you resolve Targos problems, even though other areas will be still visitable just without main-quest related dialogues because that wouldn't make sense story wise (later in the game the story ties very closely to IWD1).

- from when I played the original IWDs years ago I remember that it was a kind of one way street through game/quest/areas - in your version, will it be possible to go between areas via worldmap as you like (and as they are revealed)?

IWD1 is indeed pretty linear. Chaninging it would require rewritiing the story, so probably not worth the effort. You can use worldmap of course. And you can go back to vanilla game areas if you wish at any point and continue this journay later on. Up to you how you're going to roleplay it.

IWD2 part will be far more open because after leaving Targos you will be able to visit areas in less linear matter.

- when are IWD map revealed (from Friendly Arm, Northern Areas of BG1, Ulgoth's Beard) or at some event?

for now Eastheaven will show up on map when you take northern exist from Upper Chiontar area (farms above Baldur's Gate city). This area is visitable even in chapter 1 if you keep travelling north (that is true for vanilla game too btw.).

Than when you enter the city you will be greeted with standard IWD Intro. If you enter the tavern original IWD cutscene with Hrothgar is initiated.

- what is the installation sequence - BGEE - IWDEE >EET>IWD-EET>BG2EE mods + worldmap?

doesn't matter. I can't think about anything that would conflict with other mods (maybe tweaks but these are optional and could be installed later). Just don't install IWDification, if you're planning to install IWD-in-EET because the latter already contains every single spell from IWD:EE, so no point in duplicating them.

- are IWD events independent from your BG1/2 vs ToB files (i.e.when you change to the 25files)?

IWD doesn't use BALDUR.BCS / BALDUR25.BCS at all. Banter file is the same in the whole game, so no need to change anything. When there will be dialogue content for vanilla game NPCs than it's probably better to trigger dialogues via area scripts and external files with dialogues rather than Override scripts and Join dialogue file. Of course you could always add the same dialogues / Override script code related to IWD in both normal in ToB versions of dialogues and scripts - doesn't really matter.

yes. Treat it is any other optional stuff from game like Watcher's Keep and Trademeet questline. No point in blocking access to it.

IWD chapter variable has been renamed to IWDChapter, so you no longer increase real game chapter. Journal entries will show up on the journal page you currently at. Again, think of it as just a side story like Trademeet, but larger.

-------------

btw. nothing I've mentioned above is set in stone, so feel free to leave feedback and propose different implementation.

Sounds pretty straight forward approach to me - IWD 2 could become available from Athkatla docks in BG2 and those towncriers could spread the news or some tavern talk.

The one question you did not understand - the party for IWD will be the party you bring from BG-side? There are no joinable IWD NPCs unless a mod places them there?

Installation order if not important yet - maybe just after EET itself, this way any BG2EE mod wishing to do so, could add IWD contents.

Two more questions

1.There needs to be a way to identify that IWD is in the game, same way you would identify presence of some mod, such that your additional mod contents would only compile if IWD is there.

2. (not directly related to IWD - more general EET. The split between the NPC banter, joined etc files between BG1/BG2 changing to those 25 versions is still applicable, right. It just does not matter for IWD, as the IWD episodes will just be accessible to the party as it is, regardless of main game's chapter or levek.

The one question you did not understand - the party for IWD will be the party you bring from BG-side? There are no joinable IWD NPCs unless a mod places them there?

There's going to be one. It has been tested in IWDEE to be quite effective, but not much for what I can see in EET... Ouh, and the IWD-in-BG2-fix/tweaks had them too, but those were silent, and thus likely to get the guillotine.

1.There needs to be a way to identify that IWD is in the game, same way you would identify presence of some mod, such that your additional mod contents would only compile if IWD is there.

Check for ID8001.are file's existence in the game. It's just a random .are file from this... :devlook:

The one question you did not understand - the party for IWD will be the party you bring from BG-side?

Just in case anyone is confused: I believe Roxanne was looking for confirmation that your party members from BG1&2 (a.k.a. Imoen, Jaheira, Viconia, Branwen, Minsc, Aerie, Kivan, etc.) will accompany you to IWD.

-------------

Sounds pretty straight forward approach to me - IWD 2 could become available from Athkatla docks in BG2 and those towncriers could spread the news or some tavern talk.

Installation order if not important yet - maybe just after EET itself, this way any BG2EE mod wishing to do so, could add IWD contents.

Two more questions

2. (not directly related to IWD - more general EET. The split between the NPC banter, joined etc files between BG1/BG2 changing to those 25 versions is still applicable, right. It just does not matter for IWD, as the IWD episodes will just be accessible to the party as it is, regardless of main game's chapter or levek.

There's going to be one. It has been tested in IWDEE to be quite effective, but not much for what I can see in EET... Ouh, and the IWD-in-BG2-fix/tweaks had them too, but those were silent, and thus likely to get the guillotine.

Check for ID8001.are file's existence in the game. It's just a random .are file from this... :devlook:

Think I have all the information I need for the moment.

In a nutshell

- IWD and IWD2 will work like two new megamods (one best used during chapter4+ on the Sword Coast - the other in Amn)

- You will reveal areas from the respective starting area of the episode, get more maps as you proceed and can go back and forth between the mod and the main game at your discretion.

- It also means that normal PC/NPC or NPC to NPC interactions will continue, e.g. time triggered romance talks and such (unless they have a specific BG area in the trigger.)

- There will be no time travel or such, i.e. the events happen inside your main story - thus there may be cross-references to the events of the Sword Coast or Amn or Tethir.

Even if this is not a direct contribution to the call for participation for in IWD-EET I will integrate IWD into the Sandrah mod similar to other megamods. This means

- Sandrah herself (+ Jen'lig if present) will make eventual remarks to the events/creatures/plot.

- Sandrah will meet someone she knows or who has a relation to her own quest

- There will be a number of chain-dialogues related to the IWD events hat involve all NPCs present in your party.

- There will be some additional contents or mini-mod with relation to the Bhaalspawn story (Those twins leading the Chimera Legion, hm, who may be their *father*?)

- Some Mystra related quest will be added to one of the two episodes

Open question will be whether IWD-EET will be optional or required for Sandrah (given the magnitude of the mod).

As a whole this seems to be a better use of ideas and resources than my original plan to add EET contents to those four new NPCs or SoD (given the quality of those addons this may be a waste of time - I begin to understand why the only EE NPC related mod is one to disable them - probably the first SoD mod will be Skip SoD?). IWD ptobably is a better playground for contents modding.

As a whole this seems to be a better use of ideas and resources than my original plan to add EET contents to those four new NPCs or SoD (given the quality of those addons this may be a waste of time - I begin to understand why the only EE NPC related mod is one to disable them - probably the first SoD mod will be Skip SoD?).

Hey, now... Let's approach SoD with an open mind, give it a legitimate chance and play it first before we judge it, no?

Open question will be whether IWD-EET will be optional or required for Sandrah (given the magnitude of the mod).

Well, there's easy way to bypass a requirement such as this, if the mod is not installed that sets a fairly many globals that are required to go on in the story of Sandrah, just add a small script portion that sets everyone of them to the required positions. You can also break the dialogs into BG1, BG2, IWD and SoD portions, and compile them via game_is or other functions that match your approach the best. And this would help the mod to become more segmented. And no, I am not saying that you need to do this, it would just be a nice addition.

...play it first before we judge it, no?

No. :p

Well, there's easy way to bypass a requirement such as this, if the mod is not installed that sets a fairly many globals that are required to go on in the story of Sandrah, just add a small script portion that sets everyone of them to the required positions. You can also break the dialogs into BG1, BG2, IWD and SoD portions, and compile them via game_is or other functions that match your approach the best. And this would help the mod to become more segmented. And no, I am not saying that you need to do this, it would just be a nice addition.

...play it first before we judge it, no?

No. :p

@Jarno I bite my thumb at thee!

/bites my thumb at thee!

This was in no way meant as a judgement - I was just issuing my expectation from what additional contents I saw so far from the EE (NOT THE EET).

I tried writing crossmod for Neera - a Wildmage, hunted by Red Wizards and my NPC Priestess of Mystra and if there is anything she hates, those are the Red Wizards >>> one would think that makes good stuff for banters, even a minimod - nada...Neera comes with a great Overture, dripples through a mini quest.....wait....wait....nothing

I tried with Rasaad - Monk of Sune has trouble with Shar >>> wow, Sune + Mysra + Shar, epic stuff, enough for a complete new mod...same story - big Overture and then the orchestra goes home...

The Black Pits - when those Mindflayers capture you in the Underdark they make you fight for their amusement. Why not integrate those pits here as an option - you can side with the Githyanki just in the vanilla game or take the hard road, i.e. go through the pits. Instead they hang their without connection to the game.

So, expectation from SoD is dungeon crawl that hopefully is not too long with another NPC of the quality above.

So IWD was never a favorite game, it was not enough as a stand-alone game to compete with BGT. But as a submod megamod-style for the Bhaalspawn saga it may turn out as a valid addition. May even win some new players this way - and some modders who feel that Amn is already overcrowded with NPCs and quests may find a new playground here. For me it sounds promissing and challenging.

@ Roxanne

Have you played through both the BG1 and BG2 content for Neera and Rasaad? I haven't, but it's my understanding that they and Dorn have more content in BG2 compared to BG1, and was just curious if that was true.

SoD does not look/seem like a dungeon crawl at all from what I've seen/read (Not that there won't be dungeons, of course). It's supposedly around 30+ hours long and larger than TotSC and ToB combined. But who knows? You might end up pleasantly surprised, or I may end up disappointed, etc. But at least we'll still get to enjoy the core Baldur's Gate Saga =)

@ Roxanne

Have you played through both the BG1 and BG2 content for Neera and Rasaad? I haven't, but it's my understanding that they and Dorn have more content in BG2 compared to BG1, and was just curious if that was true.

SoD does not look/seem like a dungeon crawl at all from what I've seen/read (Not that there won't be dungeons, of course). It's supposedly around 30+ hours long and larger than TotSC and ToB combined. But who knows? You might end up pleasantly surprised, or I may end up disappointed, etc. But at least we'll still get to enjoy the core Baldur's Gate Saga =)

This is EET Forum, so we need to look at those NPCs as continuous characters from now on - and the EET for this came out about a tenday ago, so no I have not been through the whole game with all its NPCs yet - and even though, I would not carry some NPC through the whole Sword Coast and half of Amn because there may be some contents after Brynlaw. Either a character is interesting or not.

The Beandog characters were designed for a split game, one you could start at BG2 without the first part - it is a comercial product with a merketing strategy, thus it requires a different assessment than a modder:s contribution (I would not issue the same about any NPCs that are a modder's work).

And just to put this back into perspective - the starting point was, my plans of how to integrate my own mod into EET and which additional features compared to BGT are there to use. As a result of those considerations my early *tasklist* has changed from

1.Do main integration 2, Add crossmod for new NPCs 3, Add story for transition BG1 to BG2 based on SoD 4.Expand storyline for new after-ToB possibilities

to

1.Do main integration 2. Integrate IWD Megamod. 3, Add story for transition BG1 to BG2 based on SoD, if possible 4.Expand storyline for new after-ToB possibilities (Enhanced RtF) 5. Add crossmod for new NPCs (not restricted to Beandog ones) as I go along for 1-4 6. Develop ToR (Times of Trouble Revisited aka Sandrah,Episode One)

1.Do main integration 2. Integrate IWD Megamod. 3, Add story for transition BG1 to BG2 based on SoD, if possible 4.Expand storyline for new after-ToB possibilities (Enhanced RtF) 5. Add crossmod for new NPCs (not restricted to Beandog ones) as I go along for 1-4 6. Develop ToR (Times of Trouble Revisited aka Sandrah,Episode One)

Looking forward to so much! =)

Sounds more impressive than it is - except for issue no1 (which is hard work) the rest is pretty straight forward and 90% of it is already in Sandrah for BGT.

The real issue is that Sandrah for EET is not mod-conversion from Sandrah for BGT since EET is not a BGT conversion but a new start (see k4thos introduction to EET) and a mod build on BGT is a mod build for another game (Most other mods around were developped for either BG1 or BG2 with BGT-compatibility added to them, that is a hell of a difference, many can be converted in a couple of minutes while Sandrah needs to be re-build in many aspects).

Sounds more impressive than it is - except for issue no1 (which is hard work) the rest is pretty straight forward and 90% of it is already in Sandrah for BGT.

The real issue is that Sandrah for EET is not mod-conversion from Sandrah for BGT since EET is not a BGT conversion but a new start (see k4thos introduction to EET) and a mod build on BGT is a mod build for another game (Most other mods around were developped for either BG1 or BG2 with BGT-compatibility added to them, that is a hell of a difference, many can be converted in a couple of minutes while Sandrah needs to be re-build in many aspects).

As I've mentioned before, I salute you, and wish both you and your ambitious mod nothin' but the best :thumbsup:

Archived