New Baldur's gate?

Haplo

From the looks of it, the developers seem to have an interest in maintaining mod compatibility.

I certainly hope so and I hope they take things from the BG2 and even BG1 fixpack.

But in any case, I'm really excited!!!

Yeah, right. Atari needs your money. GIVE ATARI YOUR MONEY. for 14 year old game!!!

"Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is going to have new content for the game you love, made by some of the original team members"

lies

"developers" rippinig off modders, jesus christ!

get the fuck out atari

There's a summary of the information that was released so far on Gamebanshee.

From the looks of it, the developers seem to have an interest in maintaining mod compatibility.

Let's hope so. I'm extremely excited, especially because I'd finally take the chance and play a full BG1 game, and because it could bring more life to our evergreen communities, but at the same time I'm also quite terrified. I really cannot imagine playing BG without some of our finest mods (such as NPC IEP, RR and SCS to name a few), and the idea of having to re-do all the work I did in these years for Revisions mod scares me as hell (are you ready Ardanis? ahaha).

I just hope for a slightly enhanced base version (slightly better GUI/graphic? fill side quests holes?) and more functional engine (still the same, but fixed and with more working opcodes as if ToBEx is included by default :D ) so we (modders) can continue to work as we always did, because for me our communities (including players) did more and better work than any software house (with limited time and obvious profit goals) could ever do.

Amen. :D

Precisely. Update IFE. Add more functionality, more content, do your voice-overs if you want to.

But anything that screws with the most important mods will reduce the value of an Enhanced Edition A LOT.

So, let's start a wishlist for the BGEE :)

- high quality music & sounds

- HiRes HD Movies

- antialiasing & more than 256 Colours in BAM-Files

- widescreen resolutions

- alle the great functions of TobEX

- subraces

- de-hardcoded mage kits

- more different indoor-areas in BG1 (a lot of houses share the same tileset)

- both BG1 and BG2-style shields

Jarl

It seems (from what is known) that EE will not screw with the mods. It's also said to expand on the continuity from BG 1 to BG 2.
well BG1 mods will be screwed in part cause of the change in engine. Not all file types are the same between the two.
It seems (from what is known) that EE will not screw with the mods. It's also said to expand on the continuity from BG 1 to BG 2.
well BG1 mods will be screwed in part cause of the change in engine. Not all file types are the same between the two.

Obviously, your mileage will vary, but I'm not sure that it's going to be devastating to convert mods to run with the planned engine. The success of Tutu and BGT is proof that it is possible to convert even tricky files. I'm not saying that we'll be able to just bulk install all of our favorite mods and have everything work perfectly. Even I'm not that optimistic. But I don't think it's the end of modding, either.

Honestly, I don't think anybody is releasing this thing with the intention of it being a stand-alone experience. How many times can a person play unmodified BG/BG2 without getting bored?

I'm sure people will want to continue modding etc... But now I'm wondering, say for the BG fixpack, if we shouldn't wait till this is out and see how they 'fixed' some of the issues. Using the new as a basis to fix the old... Modding the original games certainly won't stop cause not everyone will be able to rush out and buy "enhanced" versions. Unless there is a lot of new content that they actually announce with some amount of detail ahead of time, I can foresee people not getting this cause they can (as far as they know) get pretty much the same experience with Tutu/BGT.

I really cannot imagine playing BG without some of our finest mods (such as NPC IEP, RR and SCS to name a few), and the idea of having to re-do all the work I did in these years for Revisions mod scares me as hell (are you ready Ardanis? ahaha).

There is a much better option - include said mods' content into EE. Somebody over SHS said they'd already mailed Trent a suggestion to do so.

Considering that IR does what the original developers should have done, had they enough time, I may even wage on it.

Legal issues will probably stop them from actually including user created content in the new game.

Optimally, this will mean that a large part of the modding that one needs to do to get BGI running in the ToB engine will be out of the way.

One might only need to install mods such as SCS, N/DSotSC, NPC mods an such.

If they change the way the game is modded it could go either way, be a disaster, or much, much better. In any scenario the old releases of the game will always be available.

Legal issues will probably stop them from actually including user created content in the new game.

Not really. Demi, Ardanis and Mike - as main authors - would just relinquish their rights [also, add fine print] to IR to the dev/publisher. A few caveats here, a few provisions there and a bunch of credits at the end; done.

Personally, the idea of SCS/RR/IR/SR etc already incorporated sounds nothing short of amazing.

But now I'm wondering, say for the BG fixpack, if we shouldn't wait till this is out and see how they 'fixed' some of the issues.
I can guarantee you they will not address a good portion of our fixes, mainly because they aren't even public as yet, and only the likes of us have had the "luxury of time" to be able to puzzle out how to fix the issues. Also, it is relatively easy to convert BG1-engine mods to the BG2-engine. What's difficult is going in reverse, since you have to make decisions on losing functionality.

Archived