Can anyone explain this....

plainab

Installed BG2 & BG1

Used the new EasyTutu installer to create an EasyTutu game.

Used the new EasyTutu installer to clone BG2

Applied BG2 Fixpack and BGT to the cloned BG2

both BGT & EasyTutu have the exact same settings

In Tutu I get green water.

In BGT I get blue water.

Why?

I know there is a degreenifier mod for Tutu, but the question remains.

Why does one produce green water and the other does not?

perhaps and perhaps I should ask it in the BGT-weidu forum at SHS. no it's better served at a neutral site since it touches both. i don't want to come across as supporting or disliking one or the other.

What I meant was that since you are only having a problem with Tutu, you are probably more likely to get an answer there. Making a similar thread at the BGT forum makes no sense to me.

What exactly is a neutral site? A place where we are reluctant to speak our mind?

I don't think it matters much where he asks the question. He isn't likely to get an answer because no one knows, or the few people who do aren't around.

All I know is that Tutu appeared to have some buggy tilesets. The Degreenifier overwrites a bunch of .wed files to change the tilesets, e.g. fw1800.tis instead of _ar1800.tis (which has the green water). BGT's ar8600.tis does not have the green water problem. Why Tutu's tilesets had the problem in the first place (or why the fix isn't just incorporated into Tutu core) is beyond me. I suppose it is a relic of BG1 perhaps handling overlays differently or something - maybe Yovaneth would know (as I recall, he had some green water in FFT he had to fix).

What I meant was that since you are only having a problem with Tutu, you are probably more likely to get an answer there. Making a similar thread at the BGT forum makes no sense to me.
O.o you assume I'm having a problem with Tutu. I don't care one way or the other about the color of the water. It could be pink for all I care. I only posted to compare and contrast the two and to see if anyone knew why there was this difference. Not to start a debate on where I should or should not be posting. PPG doesn't see much activity these days. SHS sees quite a lot, but the responders there are mainly 'mega-mod' focused. I wanted a more middle ground view as it were. However, I did take your suggestion and posted in both forums that touch this topic and asked them to read here and answer if they could.

Also note, this is the first computer I've ever had that even showed a hint of green water in Tutu. Up until now, I thought green water in Tutu was a myth. :p

Long story...

The green water fix was found and described by Bardez, the original BGT author. The fixed TIS files were part of the huge BGT download. At that time, BG1Tutu was suffering from the green water issue, unless you disabled 3D to avoid it.

Later, when BGT WeiDU was created, someone (KingDiamond?) wrote a tool to automate the green water fix during the BGT installation, thus reducing the size of the mod by a huge amount. Since it was a BGT WeiDU special, it was never included in BG1Tutu (which was not updated ever since anyway).

I think TutuFix authors were allowed to use the tool in TutuFix a long time ago. Later MacReady also got permission from BGT WeiDU authors to include the green water fix, first in an EasyTutu mod, maybe now within the new EasyTutu.

By the way, as far as I know, Ascension64 never obtained permission to include some Tutu or EasyTutu specials (improved spawns, for sure) in BGT Weidu.

And there is the reason why. Thank you Isaya

Its a shame that they never cooperated fully with each other to benefit both setups. I can attest tho that the newest EasyTutu release does not contain any such fix for the green water problem. It remains to this day a separate mod.

Yes. Guess you missed my post above?
I saw your post Miloch, but it wasn't a clear cut answer. As in it did not say "BGT includes the fix else it would be an issue there too" :p

I thought...

BGT's ar8600.tis does not have the green water problem.
...implied that. I have struck out the specifics so you can read it better :p.

As to why, that is still not clear-cut, but I think it's as I implied. BG1 has the green water (and Tutu and BGT thus inherited it until the fix) but due to engine/graphics/3D differences, it's not an issue in BG1.

Archived