No new spells

Echon

I thought this would be a trivial problem to solve but searching various forums has not provided any solution so here goes. I have installed FotD on Tutu and BGT, but the new wizard and priest spells are missing from the game. The wizard spells do not show up during character creation and priest spells do not appear in the priest scroll. All spells use the SPWI/PRXXX naming scheme and appear to have been installed correctly when looking at them with NI. I saw somewhere that the numbers in SPELLS.2DA are related to this, although the actual number is hardcoded according to IESDP. I increased the values to 99 anyway but this made no difference. What else is at work here?

Heh, I am supposed to get a mail when someone replies to this topic. Has this feature been disabled?

Yes, I am. All my spells begin at 60, an arbitrary number I chose many years ago presumably to avoid overlapping with other mod spells.

edit: Thanks. This was the issue.

The vanilla game won't recognize spells numbered above 50, even if you modify SPELLS.2DA. However, that number can be increased up to 99 if ToBEx is installed.

Switching to ADD_SPELL now would probably be a good idea for compatibility sake. It should be very straightforward unless some of your other resources refer to your spells by filename. Using ADD_SPELL means your spells will receive new filenames, so any effects that reference the old filenames would need to be updated at install-time.

The vanilla game won't recognize spells numbered above 50, even if you modify SPELLS.2DA. However, that number can be increased up to 99 if ToBEx is installed.

It seems a bit odd that BG2 has this limitation when BG:TotSC does not.

Switching to ADD_SPELL now would probably be a good idea for compatibility sake. It should be very straightforward unless some of your other resources refer to your spells by filename. Using ADD_SPELL means your spells will receive new filenames, so any effects that reference the old filenames would need to be updated at install-time.

Oh, I will. There is really no reason to do the things manually that ADD_SPELL does automatically.

Heh, I am supposed to get a mail when someone replies to this topic. Has this feature been disabled?
It has never worked for me, at least not for years. I mentioned it to CamDawg and he didn't see anything that he could do anything about. It's odd that it works on SHS and not here since they use the same software and server.

Archived