Item Revision v4?

DarkWon

I'm not against it per se, I and Ardanis do thought about making our own Item Upgrade-like component but it's far from being a priority and we won't work on it for V3.

My favourite topic has been raised again... Upgrading powerful items to me seems to make the game ridiculously easy, because the player can upgrade, but enemies can't. Thats what I found with Weimer's upgrade mod anyway *fond memories of Water's Talon killing Hell Irenicus in one hit*

If you were going to upgrade things, maybe pick a few weaker items with cool flavour and backstory and increase them to +3 (and not increase their special effect) or to +2 (plus increase in special effect). I'm thinking along the lines, that someone could keep their favourite signature weapon and not need to throw it away. This should cost about 75,000gp, 5 diamonds, 5 emeralds and a Limited Wish scroll.

I don't think anything should be able to be upgraded to +5, and upgrading to +4 should cost 300,000gp, 5 beljuril, 5 rogue stones and a Wish scroll (at least). I don't know whether the game even has 5 beljuril?! ><

Too strict? Too lenient? Something for v4?

I like the idea of upgrading for the same reasons you gave. I liked some of the "convenience" upgrades of the old item upgrade mod. For example, combing the ring of regeneration and +2 ring just kept you from having to switch rings all the time. Oh and there are only 2 beljurils in the whole game and one is used to upgrade the horn. And I never remember even accumulating 300,000 gp. That seems a bit steep.

What I would like to see when V3 comes out is a modest item upgrade add-on for IR to start. Maybe 5 items so it could be done relatively quick. Then additions made over time.

Oh and there are only 2 beljurils in the whole game and one is used to upgrade the horn. And I never remember even accumulating 300,000 gp. That seems a bit steep.

Ah..oops. Ok thanks for the feedback, I guess a little lower might be in order. I always remember having 3-400,000gp after doing the underdark. 30 enchanted crossbows and spears from Sahuagin, all the drow goodies etc.

Anyway, I was bored so I drafted a few items.

Minor Upgrade – 75,000gp, 2 diamonds, 2 emeralds and a scroll of Limited Wish

Major Upgrade – 150,000gp, 2 rogue stones, 2 beljuril and a scroll of Wish

Wrath of Tyr +2 - maybe this one’s a bit too powerful? still below Crom Faeyr though I think

• Minor: Enchanted +3

• Major: Enchanted +4, Judgement 1/day (Chaotic or Evil targets in a 30ft radius from the wielder take 10d8 magic damage and are silenced for 1d4 rounds, Chaotic Evil targets take 20d8 damage and are silenced for 2d4 rounds. A save vs. spells at -3 halves the damage and negates the silencing)

Frostreaver +1

• Minor: Enchanted +2, Chilling effect gains -1 save penalty

• Major: Enchanted +3, Chilling effect gains -2 save penalty, Frost Aura 2/day (Enemies in a 20ft radius from the wielder suffer 5d6 cold damage per round for 5 rounds and are slowed. A save vs. spells at -2 negates the slow)

Jhor the Bleeder +2

• Minor: Enchanted +3

• Major: Enchanted +4, Vampiric Feast 1/day (The wielder is fully healed and cured of any poisons or disease, whilst all creatures in a 30ft radius suffer 15d4 magic damage. A save vs. spells at -3 penalty halves the damage)

Dagger of Venom +2 - is the +4 version too powerful? I think it’s a nice alternative to Dagger of the Star for ToB thieves/assassins

• Minor: Enchanted +3, Poison gains -1 save penalty

• Major: Enchanted +4, Poison gains -3 save penalty

Crimson Dart +3

• Major: Enchanted +4, Fire damage increased to 1d6

Defender of Easthaven +2 - is the Improved mantle too much?

• Minor: AC bonus increases to +2

• Major: Enchanted +3, Improved Mantle 1/day

Dragonslayer +1 (+3 vs. Dragons)

• Major: Enchanted +2 (+4 vs. Dragons), Wrath of the Fallen 1/day (A trapped dragon soul is released, venting its final fury before passing into the afterlife. The wielder, as well as anyone within 50ft take 24d10 damage of a random element: Fire, Cold, Electricity, Acid, or Energy drain (3/4 target’s levels are lost). A save vs. breath at -3 halves the damage or limits level loss to 1/2 target’s level)

Ankheg Plate +2 (for those still reminiscing over BG1…)

• Minor: Enchanted +3, Immunity to Acid

• Major: Enchanted +4, Acid Spit 1/day (Sticky globs of acid shoot towards a target of wearer’s choice. Target suffers 12d6 acid damage immediately, then 6d6 in the second round, and 3d6 in the third round. A save vs. breath at -3 halves the initial damage and prevents the lingering damage)

The Sleeper +2

• Minor: Enchanted +3, Sleep effect gains -1 save penalty

• Major: Enchanted +4, Sleep effect gains -3 save penalty, Lullaby 3/day (Sleep spell with increased radius, 20 round duration and -3 save penalty)

Mauler’s Arm +1

• Minor: Enchanted +2, Grants +1 Con while equipped

• Major: Enchanted +3, Grants +2 Con while equipped

Item upgrading is mostly reserved for NPC items, so that they're not tossed away once party transfers to ToB. For other items, imo merely buffing them up is just too primitive.

Better to create new unique items, using the template similar to Cromwell/Cespenar vanilla upgrages - there're several (semi-)unique pieces that must be obtained from various locations.

Maybe like multidragon armor, using all scales (shadow, white, red, blue, probably 1-2 new types as well) for obvious result.

But that means new BAMs to draw in either case.

Oh sorry, with my semi-absence it seems I forgot to reply on this topic. :hm:

Anyway, as Ardanis already said, NPC's unique equipment is by far the most important aspect of an eventual Item Upgrade-like component within IR (at least imo).

Other than that, I'm not against expanding it, especially because sometime it's a real shame to be forced to abandon an item with a cool/unique concept only because it's too much outclassed by late game items. I'd tend to keep it more similar to Cromwell/Cespenar vanilla's upgrades (e.g. Staff of Fire + Ring of Fire Control) rather than allowing strange combinations a la IU (e.g. merging different weapons/armors together). I previously wasn't against the latter, but on second thought I don't understand how you could forge a new sword by fusing together two swords...to do that you'd have to completely undo the former items and then create a new one from melted iron. :laugh: Otoh, adding a magical ring's jewel to a sword's pommel seems a more reasonable thing.

That being said, non-NPC items are much less a priority imo, because the game as it is already offers so many late game artifacts that adding more of them is kinda scary for me. The only reason to do so is that I actually love the uniqueness of some early game item within IR (e.g. Singing Sword, Adjatha the Drinker) but more often than not late game items already cover everything you could ask for (at least imo).

Other than that, I'm not against expanding it, especially because sometime it's a real shame to be forced to abandon an item with a cool/unique concept only because it's too much outclassed by late game items.

Yeah, thats pretty much my entire line of thinking. Some of the items I just love, but I'm forced to leave behind later on.

It might also solve the problem that a lot of people don't like weapons like Frostreaver being nerfed to +1. For example, it could have its +3 reinstated eventually, but at a significant cost (i.e. a few rogue stones + few Wands of Frost + 15,000gp?). In the end, it would be even better than it was in Vanilla (as it would retain its new IR abilities), but you'd have to work hard to find the ingredients

The weapon I love the most has to be Namarra +2. I'm 20th level and I'm still using it, despite the fact that its only +2 (Flame Sword and Dragonslayer are technically +3, but its Keen effect and silence still makes it my best weapon!)

Am I the only person who loves Belm? I wish this sword was seriously difficult to acquire (instead of just finding it in a cow shed under some straw - never understood that) and powerful enough to wield against anything. I love its appearance and I love that extra attack and super fast weapon speed.

Another beauty is Daystar (which is also too easy to acquire). In the Trademeet crypt, allow the Skeleton Warrior to summon all its skeletons (by standing in the upper left corner surrounded by normal skeletons, the Skeleton Warrior can't touch you) and then take them all down at once with Sunray! Lovely!

Is Daystar's +4 active now?

I wish this sword was seriously difficult to acquire (instead of just finding it in a cow shed under some straw - never understood that)
It is wielded by Ihtafeer since v2.

You can also upgrade it to +4 (and make it effective against everyone) using the relevant component from the mod in my sig.

I wish this sword was seriously difficult to acquire (instead of just finding it in a cow shed under some straw - never understood that)
It is wielded by Ihtafeer since v2.

You can also upgrade it to +4 (and make it effective against everyone) using the relevant component from the mod in my sig.

I really like your mod. I would love to see a version of it the plays nice with Item Revision 3.

That's great but is it possible to install only that one change rather than them all?

As a general question, how can a person, particularly a non-modder, know whether any mod is safe or compatable with the patches and the more widely recognised fixpacks?

Moderator: please split this discussion into a new thread.

All but the most ancient mods are compatible with patches. Patches and the fixpack is the base and most readmes will confirm that. It is also standard to include compatibility notes, especially on install order.

Archived