Unearthed Arcana presents Might & Guile: tweaks and kits for warriors and rogues

Announcing my new mod - er, or a new version of my old mod, with a new name... ah, whatever. Announcing Might and Guile!

Download link

Readme link

EDIT - this post has been wildly out-of-date.  For now, please refer to the Readme linked above for a complete run-down on what the mod contains.  The short version is:

• A system for giving feats to fighters and thieves (and rangers and, in some circumstances, bards)
  • A revised system for Archers' "called shots," plus versions of the Archer kit for the fighter, thief, and fighter/thief classes
  • A complete revisions of the Bard class, moving bard kits into the fighter/mage and thief/mage classes (and, a bit, the cleric/thief and thief classes) and changing the way bard songs work so that you can sing and fight simultaneously
  • A selection of kits for multiclass characters
  • New features for rangers
  • Revised versions of Berserker and Barbarian rage
  • A revised mechanism for the way barbarian and monk movement bonuses work (making it toggleable)
  • A revised mechanism for the way monk fists work as weapons (making the enchantment bonus toggleable)
  • A revised version of the Shadowdancer kit (with Hide in Plain Sight removed, but some other features added)
  • A few kits for the fighter, thief, and traditional bard classes
Edited by subtledoctor

Update to v1.3

Download

This fixes installation of the Corsair and Marksman, fixes Elven Archer proficiencies, and adds a new component for EE games: Revised Shadowdancer. This component removes the Shadowdancer's "Hide in Plain Sight" ability, and transforms the "Shadowstep" ability into "Shadow Pool," which allows the Shadowdancer to cast any one of the following spells:

- Sanctuary

- Blur

- Blindness

- Shadow Door

- Shadowstep

Edited by subtledoctor

Update to v1.4:

https://github.com/subtledoctor/Might_and_Guile/releases/tag/1.4

Changes for this version:

- Fixed item usability for Marksmen and Barbarian Rangers.

- Barbarians' and Berserkers' revised Rage abilities are no longer the same. Barbs get bonuses to STR and CON, while Zerks get +.5 APR. Both protect only from Charm, Sleep, Hold, and Stun.

- In the Item & Weapon Overhaul, light weapons now have a +1 thac0 bonus. They include short swords, daggers, war hammers, maces, clubs, spears, and quarterstaves.

- Fixed the Revised Shadowdancer component, it now installs in IWDEE.

- All divine casters (rangers and multiclass cleric kits) are compatible with the Faiths & Powers sphere system.

- New in the Revised Stat Bonuses component: INT now gives bonus spells to bards and mages, and higher chance to score critical hits in combat. CHA now gives saving throw bonuses and, at 18+, Luck bonuses.

Edited by subtledoctor

Yes. Within each main category (1-hand sharp, 1-hand blunt, and 2-hand weapons), just giving the low-damage weapons an 'ease-of-use' to-hit bonus to compensate. So non-warriors and low-level characters can choose to use simple, light weapons, while experienced characters with an already low thac0 can chose to wield bigger, more complicated weapons. Also, this creates a good reason to dual-wield light weapons.

Here is v1.4.2, which allows Berserkers to invest 2 pips in 2-Handed Weapon Style and 3 pips in dual-wielding... but *none* in Sword-and-Shield Style or Single-Weapon Style.

https://github.com/subtledoctor/Might_and_Guile/releases/tag/1.4.2

I'm also trying something new with weapon styles in the WPO. First, cosmetic changes:

- "Two-Handed Weapon Style" is renamed to "Two-Hand Style"

- "Sword & Shield Style" is renamed to "Shield-Fighting

- "Single-Weapon Style" is renamed to "Finesse"

- Two-Weapon Style" is renamed to "Dual-Wielding"

Additionally, all styles now include thac0 bonuses for investing points into them. Additionally, I've reversed the main-hand/off-hand penalties for dual-wielding; the idea now is, using a weapon in your off-hand impairs your main-hand accuracy... but you are more likely to score a hit with the off-hand weapon since your opponent has a tough time keeping track of it and defending against it. Here are the new bonuses:

"Finesse"

– * = +1 thac0, -1 AC, +5% crit chance when using a single-handed weapon

– ** = +2 thac0, -2 AC, +10% crit chance

"Shield-Fighting"

– * = +1 thac0, -1 AC when using a shield

– ** = +2 thac0, -2 AC, +5% crit chance

"Two-Hand Style"

– * = +1 thac0, +2 damage with two-handed weapons

– ** = +2 thac0, +4 damage

"Dual-Wielding"

– - = -5 main-hand thac0, and -3 off-hand thac0

– * = -4 main-hand thac0, and -2 off-hand thac0

– ** = -3 main-hand thac0, and -1 off-hand thac0

– *** = -2 main-hand thac0, and no penalty to off-hand thac0

The changes to dual-wielding can have interesting interactions with the IWO's bonuses for light weapons. Dual-wield two daggers improves your thac0 by 2 points - which, if you are fully trained in dual-wielding, will result in a net bonus for your off-hand weapon (you're more like to score an opportunistic attack with your off-hand). I think this is still balanced because 1) those weapons do less damage, and 2) the hand with that thac0 bonus does not benefit from APR increases.

Edited by subtledoctor

Some questions (I post them here assuming Faith&Powers is very closely related in a family to replaceSoB):

• Is Faith & Powers for BGEE only or also for BGT?
  • Will it affect existing priest kits in the game?
  • Is there an impact on weapon profiecency of dual class priests (fighter/priests)?
  • Does it add new priest spells for all?
  • Does it remove/overwrite any spells?

Some questions (I post them here assuming Faith&Powers is very closely related in a family to replaceSoB):

M&G and F&P are definitely being developed with each other in mind (along with Tome & Blood, to a lesser extent), but they are distinct. M&G is my own baby, whereas F&P is really being directed by Grammarsalad, I'm just assisting with some kits and some of the Weidu. For F&P-specific discussion you can use one of these two threads:

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27627&do=findComment&comment=239433

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/43174/faiths-and-powers-gods-of-the-realms-kitpack-and-divine-caster-spell-tweaks#latest

... but I don't mind discussing it here. As for your questions:

- M&G is 100% developed with TOB/Tutu/BGT in mind. I'm pretty sure my current builds of F&P are working on the old engine as well. What we have left to add is a bunch a kits, some new spells, and the deity selection dialogue. The last of those, which Grammarsalad is working on, is the only thing that might have problems on the olde engine, because I know the EEs add a bunch of script triggers that people really love. I'm going to try to persuade Grammarsalad to keep everything compatible with the old engine... it might require TobEx, though.

- Right now the beta works with existing cleric kits, and eliminates/replaces the existing Druid kits. When the mod us finished, we will replace all of the existing priest and paladin kits with our own versions. (Some of them might be very similar, though.)

- Depending on which components you install, the mod will eliminate clerics' item usability restrictions. This means Yes lick could wield an axe, Anomen could wield a spear, and ranger/clerics could use long bows. :)

- We are also adding some new spells of our own to fill out spheres that have gaps. Like, there is no 3rd-level Earth spell, and no 6th-level Plant spell. So Grammarsalad is working on making them. All in all, I think we plan to add ~15-20 spells to the game.

- The sphere system uses just about every vanilla priest spell, plus some wizard spells, plus the many priest and wizard spells from the IWDification mod. It doesn't *remove* any spells... but it limits different kits to certain spheres. "Flame Blade" is in the sphere of Fire, so Arctic Druids cannot cast it. "Sanctuary" is in the sphere of Shadow, so priests of Lathander can out cast it. "Spiritual Hammer" is in the sphere of War, so priests of Sune cannot cast it. "Animate Dead" is in the sphere of Death, so priests of Helm cannot cast it. Etc.

M&G and F&P are definitely being developed with each other in mind (along with Tome & Blood, to a lesser extent), but they are distinct. M&G is my own baby, whereas F&P is really being directed by Grammarsalad, I'm just assisting with some kits and some of the Weidu. For F&P-specific discussion you can use one of these two threads:

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27627&do=findComment&comment=239433

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/43174/faiths-and-powers-gods-of-the-realms-kitpack-and-divine-caster-spell-tweaks#latest

... but I don't mind discussing it here. As for your questions:

- M&G is 100% developed with TOB/Tutu/BGT in mind. I'm pretty sure my current builds of F&P are working on the old engine as well. What we have left to add is a bunch a kits, some new spells, and the deity selection dialogue. The last of those, which Grammarsalad is working on, is the only thing that might have problems on the olde engine, because I know the EEs add a bunch of script triggers that people really love. I'm going to try to persuade Grammarsalad to keep everything compatible with the old engine... it might require TobEx, though.

- Right now the beta works with existing cleric kits, and eliminates/replaces the existing Druid kits. When the mod us finished, we will replace all of the existing priest and paladin kits with our own versions. (Some of them might be very similar, though.)

- Depending on which components you install, the mod will eliminate clerics' item usability restrictions. This means Yes lick could wield an axe, Anomen could wield a spear, and ranger/clerics could use long bows. :)

- We are also adding some new spells of our own to fill out spheres that have gaps. Like, there is no 3rd-level Earth spell, and no 6th-level Plant spell. So Grammarsalad is working on making them. All in all, I think we plan to add ~15-20 spells to the game.

- The sphere system uses just about every vanilla priest spell, plus some wizard spells, plus the many priest and wizard spells from the IWDification mod. It doesn't *remove* any spells... but it limits different kits to certain spheres. "Flame Blade" is in the sphere of Fire, so Arctic Druids cannot cast it. "Sanctuary" is in the sphere of Shadow, so priests of Lathander can out cast it. "Spiritual Hammer" is in the sphere of War, so priests of Sune cannot cast it. "Animate Dead" is in the sphere of Death, so priests of Helm cannot cast it. Etc.

Quite interesting and a lot of work to develop and test it.

we will replace all of the existing priest kits ... with our own versions

Will you replace everything that has class 3 assigned? In the original game I can find only Lathander, Helm, Talos for priests, every other kit has been developped by some other mod, many of them are not usable for the PC but only apply to a single NPC - will you leave at least those last ones untweaked?

Background for my question is of course my own NPC Priestess of Mystra who already has her own set of spells granted from her goddess and comes with her own personal items and heavy restrictions for some others - for the sake of her storyline it would not be applicable to change her. I just use her as an example, there may be others designed for a special mod in a similar way.

A suggestion made with no idea of technical feasibility, so feel free to laugh at me:

What if instead of restricting which items can be worn/equipped/wielded by class, we allow any class to use any armor/weapon (assuming stats minimums are met, like enough str/dex), and then use applied bonuses/penalties (THAC0 penalty for unfamiliar weapon, DEX penalty like Item Revisions option for heavy armor, etc.) to discourage using items that aren't "appropriate" for a certain NPC/class/kit?

Would it be more compatible to apply a set of bonuses and penalties to particular NPCs or kits based on what they wear, instead of patching every item/weapon in the game to be equippable or not by a certain class/kit? Could this be done with scripts attached to NPCs in a way that would be ignored by AI mods like SCS?

Edit: thinking about it some more, many armor and weapons have special abilities beyond just AC modification and damage, which might not be appropriate for other classes. Putting a cleric armor that increases level 3 priest spells on a wizard won't actually harm anything, will it? But, an item that has 'usable' abilities (from the action bar) might need to be restricted by class to prevent abusing an 'archmage talisman' to cast spells on a barbarian. I guess you can somehow check for items that have usable abilities and handle them differently...?

Edited by agb1

Will you replace everything that has class 3 assigned? In the original game I can find only Lathander, Helm, Talos for priests, every other kit has been developped by some other mod, many of them are not usable for the PC but only apply to a single NPC - will you leave at least those last ones untweaked?

Background for my question is of course my own NPC Priestess of Mystra

The mod doesn't delete anything, it just adds a bunch of kits and rewrites the K_C_H.2da files such that only ours show up for players in the character generation menus. All other kits from the original game, from other mods, etc. are still there in the background.

Now, the sphere system has certain spheres applied to our priests of Mystra, but it doesn't know about your kit, so your kit will just get access to a default group of 'cleric-y' spheres. Your kit will have those spells plus whatever special spells you add yourself.

Eventually, once the mod is released, we're going to make it totally compatible with other kit and NPC mods. That way you can look at our 21 spheres and decide which of them your kit should have major or minor access to. Two possible ways to accomplish this are, 1) you contact us and tell us which spheres your kit should get, and we'll code it into our mod (that's what we do with Divine Remix kits right now) or 2) your mod gets installed after ours, and you include a special .tpa file that will find out sphere system and hook into it (we can give you a template, it's super-easy). We'll probably go with option 2), but I'm not 100% sure.

Meantime, if you want to play around with a beta of our sphere system to see how it interacts with your mod, I'd be happy to PM you a download link. :)

Edited by subtledoctor

Background for my question is of course my own NPC Priestess of Mystra

The mod doesn't delete anything, it just adds a bunch of kits and rewrites the K_C_H.2da files such that only ours show up for players in the character generation menus. All other kits from the original game, from other mods, etc. are still there in the background.

Now, the sphere system has certain spheres applied to our priests of Mystra, but it doesn't know about your kit, so your kit will just get access to a default group of 'cleric-y' spheres. Your kit will have those spells plus whatever special spells you add yourself.

Eventually, once the mod is released, we're going to make it totally compatible with other kit and NPC mods. That way you can look at our 21 spheres and decide which of them your kit should have major or minor access to. Two possible ways to accomplish this are, 1) you contact us and tell us which spheres your kit should get, and we'll code it into our mod (that's what we do with Divine Remix kits right now) or 2) your mod gets installed after ours, and you include a special .tpa file that will find out sphere system and hook into it (we can give you a template, it's super-easy). We'll probably go with option 2), but I'm not 100% sure.

Meantime, if you want to play around with a beta of our sphere system to see how it interacts with your mod, I'd be happy to PM you a download link. :)

That is what I was hoping for - fine.