PATCH: v14 REQUIRED PATCH

cmorgan

Try clicking on the .rar with the right mouse button and see what it says - look for "extract files" or "extract here".

It sounds like your computer has associated the extension ".rar" with the media player. There are ways of fixing this, but it is diferent on Vista/XP/etc so you might want to inversigate it online or in your system help. You are looking for what runs each program by looking at the extension (.rar, .txt, .zip, etc.) and redefining it.

I thinka quick reinstall of winrar will also reset it, at least on WinXP SP2 and Win98

I tried right-clicking on it, and the most useful looking thing was "Open With..." but none of the programs I could open it with looked promising.

I have a WinXP SP2, so I tried to find out how to reinstall winrar, but there wasn't anything on the FAQ of the winrar website, and I can't find anything in "Add or Remove programs".

What should I do now?

(And as I've said elsewhere on the PPG forums, I'm REALLY sorry for being such a pitiful newbie when it comes to being technologically inclined...)

I have a WinXP SP2, so I tried to find out how to reinstall winrar, but there wasn't anything on the FAQ of the winrar website, and I can't find anything in "Add or Remove programs".

I have XP and SP2 too :) I just looked here and clicked on WinRAR 3.71 -- it asks me to Save File or Cancel. If you save it (where ever you like) you get a "wrar371" file, and if you double-click that you get a option to Install it.

Did this help or am I just confusing the thread now?

I followed your directions as best as I could (it was a little different for my computer), and I think it's fixed! Thank you ever so much! Thank you, cmorgan and Louisa!

And cmorgan... thanks for the reassurance. I just feel so pathetic for having trouble with things that others have no problems with. I'll know now not to hesitate to ask for help if I have further trouble with this.

Important FYI!!

For those users with the CA Security program, the downloaded file has its extension renamed to '.efw' (Stupid security program...grrr...)

In any event I searched the web and found out how to get it to work.

When you get the save as window, simply add the '.rar' to the end of the file name and ta-da! Follow op's instructions from there.

Simple to some of you, I know...but I thought I should bring it up.

Dew

unfortunately i can't download the patch, when i click on the link a new page opens with error:

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.

can anybody help? or send me file on zwadek@tlen.pl ?

Archived