Assassin backstab multiplier increment curiosity

Hi all, I'm a new poster on the forum and I had a very small question about something that came up in a playthrough with an assassin. I was at level 17, so i had a backstab mult. of x6, and upon levelling up to level 18, i was informed that my backstab mult. had incremented by -1... but then after levelling up, my backstab mult. was still at x6. Has anyone else seen this before?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y52/rtl42...asedby-1wtf.png

anyways, as the thread title says, it seems more of a curiosity (or rather, a cosmetic glitch) than anything serious, but i wanted to ask in case someone else might know something more about it.

I don't suppose you had a backstab-multiplier increasing item equipped at the time? In this thread I made some wild speculation that might interest you... if you're able to make sense of my gibberish

/edit

Actually, in this case the speculation is probably irrelevant, since I'm pretty sure Assassins receive their x6 and x7 multipliers from a CLAB*-applied special ability, and not from a chart. Ignore me.

pardon for the double-post, but i hadn't noticed that v8 was available at the time i made the thread (sorry!...), so i downloaded that and re-installed everything with v8 of the fixpack... so now, i can confirm that the game is still adamant that my assassin should have a max backstab multiplier of x5, and up until i hit level 40, it was trying to increment by multiplier by -2. fortunately, after exiting the "level up" interface each time, my multiplier managed to stay at x7, so perhaps there is a typo somewhere in the scripting?

anyways, not a big deal, but i thought i would follow up my previous posts as best i could.

I believe these assassin bonuses are actually hardcoded (I don't remember there even is an effect to allow modifying the backstab amount?) -- I don't think there's anything we're doing that would contribute to this behavior.

Can you confirm that this doesn't occur without the fixpack installed? If it does, however, there's probably nothing we'd be able to do.

Before I move this off to No Action:

You'll always get a nonsense message about your backstab modifier when you level up as a thief and have some backstab modifying effect active. You don't actually get the wrong value applied to your character, but the text feedback can't be stopped by the usual prevention effect. Sans engine hacks, this is an unfixable (cosmetic) issue.

Guest sebastian
Hi all, I'm a new poster on the forum and I had a very small question about something that came up in a playthrough with an assassin. I was at level 17, so i had a backstab mult. of x6, and upon levelling up to level 18, i was informed that my backstab mult. had incremented by -1... but then after levelling up, my backstab mult. was still at x6. Has anyone else seen this before?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y52/rtl42...asedby-1wtf.png

anyways, as the thread title says, it seems more of a curiosity (or rather, a cosmetic glitch) than anything serious, but i wanted to ask in case someone else might know something more about it.

Archived