Missing/incorrect resource types?

Hi there,

while digging through the game files of all editions (except PST:EE, cause i don't own it yet) there are some resource types missing and two seem incorrect.

First missing 0x0405 was mentioned http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26057 already, it's a text file containing glsl shader code

0x0408 => text file containing lua code used for menu scripts

0x0409 => text file conatining lua code

0x040a => TrueType font file

0x03ff => movie in wbm format

There is an entry for wbm movie files, but it is stated as type 0x0401. There is no type referenced as 0x0401 in BGEE, BG2EE or IWDEE. Maybe a mistake or an old patch version?

Is the type 0x044c used somewhere? I couldn't find any place.

I could add them to the iesdp later, but maybe there some comments.

Thanks and have a nice day :)

0x401 appears to be unused. WBM does use 0x3ff.

0x44c is supposed to be the resource type for BAH. I've never seen a BAH file nor do I know anything about its file format or what it could be used for. The only mention of it (that I remember) comes from the game executable itself. Maybe it's a remnant from an earlier Infinity Engine development stage.

You can find a more complete list of known resource types in the Near Infinity sources.

bah is supposed to be some image format (related to bam) in the old engine, but i never seen any example for it.

0x400-0x401 are unused in the current EE.

0x408 is *.menu as in ui.menu (it is lua type, but somehow special).

0x409 is *.lua as in util.lua

wbm (movies/area animations) and png (portraits) are supported by EE.

Edited by Avenger

0x44c is supposed to be the resource type for BAH. I've never seen a BAH file nor do I know anything about its file format or what it could be used for. The only mention of it (that I remember) comes from the game executable itself. Maybe it's a remnant from an earlier Infinity Engine development stage.

bah is supposed to be some image format (related to bam) in the old engine, but i never seen any example for it.

This intrigues me greatly. Is the engine code to use such a file implemented enough to be functional? Avenger, could you rummage around in the source code to back out the file format like was done for VEF by Ascension64? That file format was (IIRC) completely unused until Ascension64's discovery of it, but turned out to be quite powerful and useful (if still under utilized).

The .bah format is removed from the EE. But from what i see, it was bam without bitmaps (bam header).

In the same vein (although presumably with a bit different implementation) as tilesets and their headers being stored separately? I find it hard to imagine why this type of thing would have been done in the first place. My only guess is that it resulted in fewer computational steps for the images to be send to the graphics card, or otherwise facilitated marginally faster rendering of the graphics?