Spell/Combat protection mechanics

scorpio

I'll be done with it by Friday; provided Demi says that the anti-magic shebang currenty in use is final.

Cool. I don't expect radical changes unless your work itself points out major flaws of the current mechanic.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make Spell Trap more unique and powerful while preventing the infinite spells exploit, but it' not a big deal. There's also a recent talk about making Dispel Magic single target, but I'm not yet convinced by it, and even if we go for it that would not change the 'protections vs removals' table.

Great, I'll have it done (just PM me about Oracle) tomorrow if I find the time.

To summarize what dispells what, it would be enlightening to make some sort of a check-list or a table for SR V4 - for example https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y7r2Z3FfZk74NdAVHuZuiNmWh14y1tAytNrsFMSY7zc/edit?pli=1#gid=0.

Because honestly, I'm completely lost in these protecting/dispelling mechanics.

Especially now that V4 removed some spells (SI) and brought new ones.

It's on my to-do list (I promised to do this to two people at least).

I'm kind of waiting for Demi to get back so we can "finalize" the spell protection/removals mechanic.

G-hmm, we are still waiting you/Demi/Mike/someone to open a topic with the correct info at post one, preferebly set so that the info is legit for per version bases too(v1, v2, v3, preluminary v4), that Demi can pin up about this.

I'll be done with it by Friday; provided Demi says that the anti-magic shebang currenty in use is final. For v4 only, I don't even have v1 and v2, and v3 is mostly like vanilla anyway. I don't even know why someone would use old(er) versions since v4 is a blast.

Since I'm such a cool guy, I'll add an recommended install setup with SCS and Refinements. :)

I'll be done with it by Friday; provided Demi says that the anti-magic shebang currenty in use is final.

Cool. I don't expect radical changes unless your work itself points out major flaws of the current mechanic.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make Spell Trap more unique and powerful while preventing the infinite spells exploit, but it' not a big deal. There's also a recent talk about making Dispel Magic single target, but I'm not yet convinced by it, and even if we go for it that would not change the 'protections vs removals' table.

Great, I'll have it done (just PM me about Oracle) tomorrow if I find the time.

Howdy,

Any update on this.

Was that checklist eventually done.

Now that there is a revised SCS for SR, another BG2EE play-through looks much more refreshing.

However, it looks that there is a ton of changes to spell/combat protection mechanics.

I know it is already explained.

But it is scattered across many threads and it might be no small task to put it all in one piece.

If someone, well versed in those mechanics, could make a simple spreadsheet - like this one - it would remove a lot of guess work.

Judging from the revised SCS thread, all of you guys are busy, but if you find some time ...

Was that checklist eventually done.

Now that there is a revised SCS for SR, another BG2EE play-through looks much more refreshing.

However, it looks that there is a ton of changes to spell/combat protection mechanics.

I know it is already explained.

But it is scattered across many threads and it might be no small task to put it all in one piece.

If someone, well versed in those mechanics, could make a simple spreadsheet - like this one - it would remove a lot of guess work.

Judging from the revised SCS thread, all of you guys are busy, but if you find some time ...

Just a quick thought but bolding text in online excel doesn't really highlight differences all that well. One should use the fill color option instead, it's much better for that purpose.

@johnny Just use BWS :)

It looks like it's a Win exe installation.

I'm on Linux :/

Johnny wait for a few hours.

No rush guys.

I'm starting another play-trough in about 2-3 weeks.

I have to wrap up some things first.

But thanks for the (upcoming :)) suggestions.

Then use wine or virtual Windows installation with attached network shares. No excuses! Just do it!

@ALIENQuake are you somehow involved in BWS?

Do you happen to know if it uses revised SCS?

On a side note, I tried BWS with wine and almost got it to work.

It breaks at the end, because it cannot verify extracted mods.

Famous Linux upper/lower case issue?

Beats me.

However running BWS from Win 7 in Virtualbox seems to work

I had to work out some of the kinks though.

Then use wine or virtual Windows installation with attached network shares. No excuses! Just do it!

No excuses - lol! I hope MS pays you for that lame shilling.

@topic

Does AoE protection work for everyone? It doesn't work for me. (BGEE)

Bleh....I hate Google Drive. Try here.

Me too! But this spreadsheet is great, thank you!

And it would be even better, if even more spells were added to the spreadsheet.

Especially the new spells that were added with SR.

For instance, how Moment of Prescience can be dispelled?

And what does "almost omniscient perception of things to come" really mean?

Improved Inv. + Mind Blank, judging from the description, looks to me like overpowered SI:Abj + Imp. Invis.

Can it be dispelled?

Cowled enforcer with this combination was completely invisible while casting.

Oracle didn't help.

Found a few mistakes.

Dispelling Screen is dispelled (or canceled ?, what is the difference ?) by Spell Thrust, Secret Word, Pierce Magic, Khelben's, RR.

Spell Deflection is dispelled by Spell Thrust.

Archived