Yoshimo Romance released

Lava

Hi, people!

After months of my work the official beta of the Yoshimo Romance is up!

80660899.jpgzr2f.jpg

Few words as an introduction: Yoshimo Romance is a project which introduce brand new romance for infamous rogue - Yoshimo. Curious yes, my friend? The mod includes plenty of content for both SoA and ToB portions of Baldur's Gate 2. Apart from the core component, players can install optional PIDs, additional non-romantic talks, and the already mentioned ToB part of the mod.

I did my best in creating this mod - it offers you a sad romance strongly linked with the plot of Baldur's Gate 2: SoA. Even though after Jon's death romance could possibly end, I decided to add ToB part.

I did my best in making him as in-character as possible, but writing mods is always somehow subjective. It's hard to make a romance for character who's usually hiding all cards in his hand. Again, I did my best.

Note that this romance is written as extension of his original plot, so his fate is somehow written...but even a condamned soul shall be remembered.

Romance requirements: human/elven/half-elven/tiefling female with charisma 13 or higher.

Incompatibilities: Mod is incompatible with Keeping Yoshimo, however it is compatible with Yoshimo Friendship and Tortured Souls, but still the appearance of the talks may be affected by those mods. Check readme for more details.

For now the mod shall be among mini-mods of G3. What shall happen to it later? We'll see. I need some of your feedback. The romance is less standard than some other, but is Yoshimo a standard NPC? Heh, I doubt, my friend! I'd call him a man of surprise!

So, now I'm waiting for some opinions! (I think this thread shall be fine for it) But first of all... happy gaming and wealthy Easter!

Download page (at the bottom of mini-mods' page)

Direct download link

EDIT:

Mod was moved to TeamBG.CoM

Yay! :) I must say that the idea of Yoshimo romance sounds thrilling!

I'm currently on my new run, so I decided to check this mod. I must say that it's really nice. I had something like...10 talks, probably, and I found them interesting! I hope to find some nice moments with Yoshi :cool::blush::suspect:

There were no bugs until now. Well, once romance track got played 2 times, but it wasn't really annoying.

BTW, I'm surprised that Keldorn romance got warmer welcome. I consider them equally great.

Some of the dialogue looks pretty promising, though I'm still wondering if you would consider letting us keep Yoshimo (or at least some form of him) for later in the game.

Meantime, which are the coolest talks / topics in your view as writer? I didn't go through everything, so I could have some surprises when I (get time / energy enough to) play BG2 :cool::)

Thanks for your feedback, Molly! I hope you'll like the mod. :cool:

@Zyraen:

I'm not sure if this should be marked as spoiler or left as it is...

You know, that depends on the reader - for those who like long dialogues and stories, I think number 4, along with part of the talk 14. Yoshimo tells charname a story, later (14) he talks about its end. Compare the told story and Yoshimo's :) It's not only a sad tale, but also shows how Yoshimo hesitates. It's a warning for charname, too.

And if someone prefers just simple talks when they can chat for a while, then talk maybe 12 - the dog talk. It shows that Yoshimo's isn't just an emotionless bounty hunter, but a man who did mistakes in the past and someone who likes dogs... he isn't a killing machine driven by gold.

...and it's nice to see Yoshimo petting a real dog! Not the talks description ^^

About keeping - you know, all the dialogues and and post-brynnlaw content would need rewriting... hmm, post-brynnlaw would be deleted, the idea of mod would change... that would be writing completly new mod and the thing is Yoshimo's fate was discussed plenty of times - for if that is changed, it's no longer our in-famous bounty hunter. He would become ordinary NPC. Somehow I'm fond of sad stories. :suspect:

Aww, talks 13 and 14 are so cute.

The Great Yoshimo offering to sew her backpack! And later, when he refuses her. Hot and cold behavior is always attractive for some reason, and we know why Yoshi has to refuse her.

I love the beginning of romance talk 14, when he

smashes the bottle. He seems desperate for having to betray Charname. It's just 'awwwww!'

Lava, you always find a way to liven up the talks!

Like that tea leaf on his teeth! I'd feel awkward in real life, but that was funny.

In my opinion, the mod is nicely written and very engaging. Especially if one is a sucker for romance/betrayal stories. :)

Obviously, he's a little more open and curious than he was in vanilla game, but it's hard to imagine a romance otherwise. Well, Edwin's romance also slightly altered Edwin, and it's still an adored* mod. :suspect: (remembering that the original Edwin was usually on the lookout for cheap prostitutes and thought the PC was a monkey like all the rest...) Yoshimo romance is a story different from the one planned by the game authors, but then, they did plan to make us ladies stick with Anomen. :cool:

I prefer a game in which the characters who would normally be attracted to a female character, recognize that my character is female. It doesn't mean that everyone has to like her at the same time, but what if I wanted to play a character that Yoshimo would really like? Which, at one point, I wanted (ah, those thieves...)

*although the only mod I think everybody likes is Dungeon-be-gone. And I might be misinformed.

Guest guest

I downloaded the mod and simply adore it! <3

But is there anyway to keep Yoshimo from simply dissapearing at the end of ToB? I tried both endings - becoming the new lord of murder and remaining mortal, but both ways, it's the same ending, "his family forgot him, etc". Am I missing something? Some ninor NPC I should have spoken to or something?

Sorry I'm so daft, but all the same, love the mod! :cool:

edit: spoiler tags fixed - cmorgan

Yoshimo romance is a story different from the one planned by the game authors, but then, they did plan to make us ladies stick with Anomen.

Different - probably yes. The thing is that Yoshimo was never faced with love itself, so it's impossible to say what original Yoshimo would do. Yes, Yoshimo always makes sure that only he can see cards in his game, but if the feeling is true, would he let love to take a look? I think he would never show his cards, but he would show just...one of five cards. Know what I mean?

I prefer a game in which the characters who would normally be attracted to a female character, recognize that my character is female. It doesn't mean that everyone has to like her at the same time, but what if I wanted to play a character that Yoshimo would really like? Which, at one point, I wanted (ah, those thieves...)

And I think Yoshimo recognize main character as a female, he is somehow close to her, but in the same time he hides his cards. After all he doesn't know charname completly - what's more it's not even about not trusting, but a...let's call it "deadly work". He has to do something, this may doom him... what would be your answer? I would be truly troubled. :)

Dear Guest - the epilogue depends on something different. It depends on someone you met at Amkethran (and I probably made a mistake in the city name...again!). Epilogues are simillar, though. It depends on how you described him to the person you met.

As I said before, I did my best and you know - I'm glad that there are some people who really enjoyed it! It means it's already a kind of success :suspect:

I thank you both for your opinions! :blush::cool:

PS. Can a moderator or admin black out Guest's spoiler, please?

Guest Guest_AvengingExile

Just finished this mod and wow. I really liked it.

First off, I did it one little bug. While in the Underdark, I was resting at the tavern and I had a dream

where I'm killing multiple Yoshimos

but after the dream, it did not register that I had rested.

So, yeah, I really enjoyed the mod...

EXCEPT THAT IT MADE CRY!!! No way to save him at all? Really?! Come on! My PC lost everything, she can't lose her heart too! And it's not even like he really gets peace either. There's not even a hope of seeing him again in the afterlife! Gah! Too dang sad! I mean, I realize life does not always work out like one wants, but I play games to escape that reality. I want my happy endings.

Okay, I'm done. Good work!

(...) but after the dream, it did not register that I had rested.

Probably one action is missing. I will remember to add it in next version. So, excluding this little and not really horrible bug, everything was fine? Great! My first mods were really full of bugs! It's nice to see that kind of progress in my mod-writing! :blush:

And about the thing you blacked out - did you have the very last talk in ToB?

The one after completing all tests, as far I remember. Then Fate Spirit shall tell you about something and this "something" is supposed to appear :suspect: This isn't really super-bad. That's the moment when everything ends - the thing they had was really true and even after death they can see eachother for the last time. It's a goodbye-talk, but somehow it's a beginning of something new. I know it's sad, but also that's Yoshimo's fate. I can't imagine them bouncing on the clearing among flowers, butterflies and riding an unicorn :blush: Heh, I know that you didn't mean that kind of hey - it is Yoshimo who's trapped between dignity and curse :)

Still, I hope you enjoyed the mod :cool: (Yoshimo Romance - the saddest existing romance ^^)

I haven't yet played the romance tho I just installed it TO play it! But Guest...I know what you mean. Right now in the modding world it seems that the "Politically Correct" thing to do is to have "sad stories," "realism" and all that.

I have enough death and misery in my RL that I also play games to have escape from that. A dear relative just died last week and the last thing I need is to cry in a game.

But still, I hope to be able to deal with this all right. I know that Lava does terrific work and I hope for something not quite as depressing as I fear. :cool:

Guest Guest_AvengingExile_*
But still, I hope to be able to deal with this all right. I know that Lava does terrific work and I hope for something not quite as depressing as I fear. :cool:

I'll have the tissues ready for ya.

Nah, I'm not doing this because of any "political correctness", but because I love sad stories ^^ Most of my mods are sad, but this one is the saddest.

Yay! I'm going to have a reputation of "Lava Alan Poe" modder! ^^ Heh, anyway - I hope you'll like the mod, Ankhes! :cool:

PS. And I'm sorry to hear about your tragedy...

Archived