Discussion: BG2 Kit Creation Series

On 4/4/2004 at 8:53 AM, CamDawg said:

Complete Series

So you can create mage kits for NPCs, eh? :D Presumably it's possible to alter the number of mage spells recieve per level, as we've done for priest spells in the Cleric remix mod?

Would this mean that it would be possible to create an NPC-only kit which alters both mage and priest spell progression, and then apply it to a cleric/mage NPC? If so, a Druid/Bard NPC should be possible...

So you can create mage kits for NPCs, eh? :D Presumably it's possible to alter the number of mage spells recieve per level, as we've done for priest spells in the Cleric remix mod?

Would this mean that it would be possible to create an NPC-only kit which alters both mage and priest spell progression, and then apply it to a cleric/mage NPC? If so, a Druid/Bard NPC should be possible...

AFAIK, yes. The "hardcoded limitation" on maximum kits to which you always hear folks refer is a limitation of kits available to the PC on the character creation screen. So a mage kit for an NPC should be possible.

With a custom kit, you would be able to alter the spell progression and all that other fun stuff with the CLAB files. Are you referring to a kit that would simulate a multiclass, or a multiclass kit? The former is very difficult (the buttons and spellbook limitations specifically) and the latter is worse.

The kit would be either a cleric or mage kit, but applied to a cleric/mage multi- or dual-classed NPC. I guess a more general version of my question could be:

If you give a kit an ability that would usually be ignored because it's for the wrong class (e.g. a fighter kit which improves pick pockets, which would obviously have no effect in-game), if we applied this kit it to a multi- or dual-classed character who's other class(es) does support this ability (e.g. the hypothetical fighter kit with improved pick pockets is applied to a fighter/thief), would the ability take effect?

The kit would be either a cleric or mage kit, but applied to a cleric/mage multi- or dual-classed NPC.  I guess a more general version of my question could be:

If you give a kit an ability that would usually be ignored because it's for the wrong class (e.g. a fighter kit which improves pick pockets, which would obviously have no effect in-game), if we applied this kit it to a multi- or dual-classed character who's other class(es) does support this ability (e.g. the hypothetical fighter kit with improved pick pockets is applied to a fighter/thief), would the ability take effect?

That's a very interesting question. My guess would be yes, simply because I can't see any reason why it would not.

I'd go a bit further and say that it can be used in the fighter kit itself using the Pickpockets() scripting action. The same applies to stealth, set traps (see bard) and possibly turn undead. I'm about to test mage kits for the NPC Kit Pack - I'll let you know how it goes.

Confirmed, NPC only mage kits are possible. I had to make one (or nine) because AddKit()ing a mage kit doesn't grant the extra spell per level. I have created (or will create) shadow mage kits to use with AddKit that will grant the extra spell per level and remove any opposition school spells (a la BG2 not PnP).

That's what I'm doing right now. AddKit() doesn't give the extra spell per level when you add a mage kit. To fix this I created duplicate mage kit with a clab file that will give the extra spells at the appropriate time. It will also (once I get round to it) remove any spells from opposition schools that are in the spell book. It could do more but currently I don't need it to.

A Red Wizard kit for Edwin sounds like a project for the NPC Kit Pack. Mind if I steal the idea? LoI would benefit from the work, of course.

I think you should post somewhere that this is possible. :D I have always been told it is OMG HRADC0DED!!!!!1111111

As for Edwin, because of the Amulet giving him spells I don't think he needs a new kit - although a title change to Red Wizard (Conjurer) could be nice. :D

We could do much more stuff now we know we can make Mage kits...

I just have posted it, and so did Cam in the main tutorial. :D

The "OMG HRADC0DED!!!!!1111111" crap is along the same lines of "each class can have a maximum of 9 kits" bollocks that is constantly floated, just because the PC can't select the kit doesn't mean the kit can't exist and be used. I'm thinking Cam will be covering all the popular misconceptions in this tutorial series. I might write a 'what I did" once I'm done with the KitPack.

As for Edwin, because of the Amulet giving him spells I don't think he needs a new kit - although a title change to Red Wizard (Conjurer) could be nice.

Consider it done.

Some classes can not be kitted - Sorcerers, monks, barbarians, and wild mages can not be kitted.

This means that these classes cannot be kitted for a PC, correct? NPC only kits for these classes can be made, can't they? (Good to know before I start trying to tinker about)