bg1re v2.0 - Bugthread

jastey

Please post any bugs or typos here. Make sure to specifiy the game you are playing (BG1, Tutu, BGT, BG:EE, or EET) and which version of the mod (Windows, Mac, Linux).

If possible, please post your WeiDU.log so I can see which other mods were installed.

After installing Romantic Encounters for BG1:EE on Steam for WIndows the application won't start. It seems to try to launch, but then gives up. To see if it had anything to do with compatibility with other mods I uninstalled the game, deleted all the files, and the reinstalled both the game and the mod. After I delete the mods data the game starts up just fine. Other mods from G3 work phenomenally.

After installing all bg1re components on OSX (BG1EE latest version, RE v2, Mac OS latest version) bg1ee did not start. OSX error message is "process not responding". I killed the not responding bg1ee process via OSX means.

My bg1ee installation is unmodded otherwise.

In order to find the fault component I Installed one component after the other and launched bg1ee everytime.

I found the "Bartus Seduction" component causing the trouble. Install the component and the bg1ee process hangs. Uninstall it and everything works fine.

All other components are ok.

Hi,

I think I found the problem with the Bartus component.
The tra files doesn't get converted during the installation, because the bg1reinstall.mrk is packaged within the bg1re/install directory (the Bartus component uses a special character for some journal entries which are loaded at the start of the game, which causes problems if the special characters are in ANSI instead of UTF-8)

Also the setup.tra and setup_game.tra are loaded from bg1re/tra instead of bg1re/autotra/tra, which could lead to problems with other languages then english...

Solution:
Delete bg1re/install/bg1reinstall.mrk before installation

Hm, if that marker file is installed the conversion should have taken place for all trat files. The component worked for me as did the German version but maybe I changed something and didn't test it finally.

Thank you very much for your ideas, nevertheless. I have no access to my computer currently that is why this takes so long.

The marker is there without installing anything (I think maybe it wasn't deleted before packaging the mod).

Here's the part of the tp2:

LAF HANDLE_CHARSETS
      INT_VAR
        infer_charset = 1
      STR_VAR
        tra_path = EVAL ~bg1re/tra/autotra~
        noconvert_array = fl#noconvert
        reload_array = fl#reload
     END
LANGUAGE ~English~
         ~english~
         ~bg1re/tra/english/setup.tra~ ~bg1re/tra/english/setup_game.tra~

LANGUAGE ~Deutsch (Teildeutsche Version, der Rest ist in Englisch)~
         ~german~
	~bg1re/tra/german/setup.tra~ ~bg1re/tra/german/setup_game.tra~

If I understand it correctly, HANDLE_CHARSETS only converts the content inside the bg1re/tra/autotra/%LANGUAGE% folder, but bg1re/tra/%LANGUAGE%/setup.tra is loaded... (also a setup_game.tra is missing in the german folder, which should break the installation process at the beginning)

EDIT: ok, I didn't get the "the marker is there wirhout installing anything". Don't tell me it's in the download package, i.e. a leftover from a borked install on my side.

I'll move the marker into the backup folder for future versions to make sure this doesn't happen. I'll be able to upload a fixed version in 3 weeks.

---

The install is not as messy as it might look, vor at least it shouldn't be. For the German version, the English version is taken for the missing files. The game.tra is reloaded by hand after the HANDLE_CHARSET. It's not that I wouldn't test my mods before releasing them. I understand that something wird seems to go on with the Bartus' component but this indicates that it's not the automatic text conversion, or the whole mod would be broken in a way I wouldn't have released it.

Don't tell me it's in the download package, i.e. a leftover from a borked install on my side.

Sorry, but that's the case... ;)

The install is not as messy as it might look, vor at least it shouldn't be. For the German version, the English version is taken for the missing files. The game.tra is reloaded by hand after the HANDLE_CHARSET. It's not that I wouldn't test my mods before releasing them. I understand that something wird seems to go on with the Bartus' component but this indicates that it's not the automatic text conversion, or the whole mod would be broken in a way I wouldn't have released it.

Ah, now I get it, it works just fine as it is, the problem was I tried to install the german version with the marker already present, so the only thing left is a version without the marker inside the install folder... :D

Thank you for reporting! I had problems with the backup folder being locked / not properly deleted upon deinstallation with this mod but I didn't expect the installmark to have stayed, too. Guess it's one if the live and learn moments.

Archived