Question to text (translation)

In one Ajantis-Kagain banter, Ajantis replies ~Hold! We are not brigands, to take at sword point. Gold has its role in the Order as well.~

In what meaning is "Order" meant here? The Order of the Radiant Heart? (Doesn't make much sense in the context). The order or all things?

The banter in full:

Kagain = ~Hey, longshanks, is it truth that your lot fights for the honor of bringing' justice to the oppressed?~
Ajantis = ~Hmm... I had not expected such an interest... but, yes. A trifle crudely put, but a fair summation.~
Kagain = ~Excellent! Ye take your honor and glory and such, this trip, and I'll mind the gelt!~
Ajantis = ~Hold! We are not brigands, to take at sword point. Gold has its role in the Order as well.~
Kagain = ~Tchah! Should of knew ‘twas that way with ye. ‘Twere best to kept silence and saved me gums.~

Written in capital letters means Order (of the Radiant Heart). And it makes sense in the contents, at least for me.

The Order fights for honor and justice etc, but that alone does not pay their bills. They value the worth of money (gold) and need it just as well. Kagain's *You get the honor while I get the gold* does not work for Ajantis.

Have you ever seen any Order, Church, religious organisation etc that has not a primary interest in money...or power? Is not the Catholic Church one of the richest organisation of the last 2000 years despite all their teachings and the dogma of the man they claim to represent?

Edited by Roxanne

I think Ajantis' line is meaning something like this, "We are not brigands who prowl the countryside for profit! A member of the Order only keeps what he needs to sustain himself and his retainers, and a tithe to the Order. The rest he gives for the benefit of the sick and destitute."

The grammar from Kagain is also bad, "is it truth", "Should have knew", "kept silence". I don't know if that's meant to be his 'voice' (but Kagain's vanilla dialogs don't show that kind of speech pattern), or if they are errors that should be fixed.

Edited by AstroBryGuy

Another question: What does Khalid refer to by "Light and Way"?

Khalid = ~OW! Shar-Teel, easy does it.~
Shar-Teel = ~Then get out of my way more quickly, worm!~
Khalid = ~I just slowed a b-bit for the view over there. You don't have to jab a fellow in the back for that.~
Shar-Teel = ~No, I don't *have* to, it is merely a small pleasure for me to do so, since by my oath, I may not slay you.~
Khalid = ~Your shield is large enough that you shouldn't have to hide b-behind an oath as w-well.~
Shar-Teel = ~Ha! Ha! But you do, it seems. At any rate you are shrinking behind *something* before my very eyes.~
Khalid = ~By the Light and the Way...~
Jaheira = ~Khalid! NO! This is not the time nor the Way!~
Shar-Teel = ~Listen to your ‘bitter' half, little worm. Her wisdom is all that stands between you and a gruesome death.~
Khalid = ~You d-do not understand what Jaheira just said. She reminded me that you are not worth f-fighting - not with, for or over.~

This sounds pretty much like a private joke by whoever wrote the dialogue, a reference to the couple's more intimate relationship. Better not dig deeper.

There is nothing in the game's internal lore that this is referring to.

Edited by Roxanne

x#jaqu.tra:

@89 = ~It appears that constant exposure to civilization has softened you even more than before your leaving of the circle. Or, perhaps the recent troubles have affected me in the ways I can't see, and I have grown more ruthless than I realize? Perhaps... this is something to reflect upon.~

"have affected me in the ways I can't see" - I would say there is a "the" too many?

x#jaqu.tra:

@89 = ~It appears that constant exposure to civilization has softened you even more than before your leaving of the circle. Or, perhaps the recent troubles have affected me in the ways I can't see, and I have grown more ruthless than I realize? Perhaps... this is something to reflect upon.~

"have affected me in the ways I can't see" - I would say there is a "the" too many?

*have affected me in a way I can't see*

Edwin-Jaheira banter (X#Edwin.tra)

@82 = ~How soon I tire of your nagging! I am certain that those who understand my obvious qualities are by far more numerous than those who'd call you attractive - nay, remotely pleasant, wench.~

I have problems to grab the meaning. Is it those who call Jaheira attractive - or those who she would call attractive?

Edwin-Jaheira banter (X#Edwin.tra)

@82 = ~How soon I tire of your nagging! I am certain that those who understand my obvious qualities are by far more numerous than those who'd call you attractive - nay, remotely pleasant, wench.~

I have problems to grab the meaning. Is it those who call Jaheira attractive - or those who she would call attractive?

The first - more people can see Edwin's qualities (whatever they are) than can see Jaheira's attractiveness.

Deine Noergelei ermuedet mich. Ich bin sicher, diejenigen, die meine Vorzuege erkennen sind zahlreicher als diejenigen, die dich liebreizend nennen wuerden - oder auch nur umgaenglich.

Something in that vein, my german is very rusty and Edwin's grammar is quite twisted. And my keyboard is missing all those umlaut letters.

Edited by Roxanne