So, which one?

Domi

Which Romance (if any) proved to be 'yours'?  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dynaheir. My character is an elf fighter/mage who never feels so comfortable as when Minsc is kicking butt by his side, so Dynaheir was a natural to come along. The romance itself is intelligent and sophisticated (and gave my character a chance to show off his general knowledge. :p He has 18 Intelligence and 15 Wisdom by the end of Baldur's Gate). In fact, I'm gonna play it again.

So far, none. I'm left with watching Khalid-Jaheira romantic exchanges, and those are pretty sweet. :p

I initially thought about romancing Xan with my female Charname, but the romance seems to have been broken at some point. Or did it even start? Not at all sure about that.

In any case, since my Charname is a human LN cleric of Helm, I thought she might be just the right girl for her fellow Helmite, Ajantis. So, I pick the paladunce up. Again, silence.

I check the romance guide, and it turns out that Ajantis has his Alignment Detector set in a such way that he only finds the Good Charnames to be hawt. Which, curiously enough, precludes him from romancing a fellow Helmite. Okay. Right. I sure as hell understand the reasoning here. :)

It's easy to tell when Xan's romance starts - you get the talk immediately once you exit the Nashkel mine.

I think Jastey did not want Ajantis to look like he is out looking for love, but fall in love only because what PC is, what she does, and he'd fall in love with a paragon of virtue. I know that it is difficult, but I think you have a good point about the N cleric. I will ask her if she is interested in adding LN cleric an exception to the 'all good alignments' rule.

It's easy to tell when Xan's romance starts - you get the talk immediately once you exit the Nashkel mine.

Can I check up the status of the romance with the CLUA console or something?

I think Jastey did not want Ajantis to look like he is out looking for love, but fall in love only because what PC is, what she does, and he'd fall in love with a paragon of virtue. I know that it is difficult, but I think you have a good point about the N cleric. I will ask her if she is interested in adding LN cleric an exception to the 'all good alignments' rule.

Incidentally, I would say that my LN cleric *is* a paragon of virtue, her reputation is as high as 16. Ajantis should be swooning for her, I think! :p

When writing the romance I noticed that writing for a paladin is sometimes not very easy, given the IE engine possibilities for checking the PC behaviour. The reason I reduced the alignments to good only is to prevent the situation where Ajantis tells his lady how admirable he thinks she is after she actually did something rather nasty (my nightmare).

There were discussions about what restrictions are apropriate, and I think most participants agreed that the alignment/ class checks do always exclude a PC that would meet Ajantis' specifications because it all comes down to how the player makes the PC behave, which can only be barely checked in the game. So I apologise to all who find there PC falling through the restrictions although they see her as an appropriate match for a paladin.

Including LN should be no problem, though.

Well, personally I am against putting many requirements on the romances, but the alignment ones are my special pet peeve.

I think I'll now go and create a blonde elven LG mage with Charisma above 13 and then get all Coran, Ajantis, Xan - and maybe even Kivan - in my party. I'll probably have to call the PC Marisu. *sigh* Heh, it might be fun to watch. :p

Yeah! I *knew* I missed something - Xan should only romance blondes!

... damn. I have chestnut hair.

Really, the only way you do not get a romance for a female is:

- either you are not playing a "romanceable race" - makes sense to me;

- you are playing a bad-looking and evil human - let's all nag Dorotea for Eldoth romance! You'll still be able to get Kivan's romantic friendship, though - almost a romance.

If you'll create a good elven\half-elven character with a high Cha, however, you are asking for trouble: the amount of love talks, flirts and all that rot may drive your poor heroine mad. I tried it, I know.

Nah, I took out the decisevly romantic talk if PC romances someone else out of Kiv, plus overall it's not even a quarter of what the 'romances-romances' get. ANd he shuts up if reputation is too low for his liking.

And yep, as another survivor of all three romances running together, I emphatically advise to let max of two

Really, the only way you do not get a romance for a female is:

- either you are not playing a "romanceable race" - makes sense to me;

- you are playing a bad-looking and evil human - let's all nag Dorotea for Eldoth romance! You'll still be able to get Kivan's romantic friendship, though - almost a romance.

Actually, I've accidentally created a LN human cleric of Helm with CHA 12. I think that she's very pretty, but Coran apparently wouldn't - oh well, his loss! :)

I think some requirements are useful, such as racial ones and reputation (even though the way it works in the game is silly) and stat-related ones (you could argue about some of those, as in CHA isn't all the looks, but that's not my point here). Sure, the Bio romances had only racial requirements... which hardly was realistic. It's just sad that those three women would get into self-degrading and humiliating hair-pulling catfights for whatever jerky character. I guess it was striking the male player ego, at least. :p

Actually, I've accidentally created a LN human cleric of Helm with CHA 12. I think that she's very pretty, but Coran apparently wouldn't - oh well, his loss!

Heh, the guy ought to have the reason to be as persistent as he is....

I can't play this unless you guys make it vanilla bg because I didn't run a full install, and my current CDs wont install at all. I am very particular about my party, for bg2 Aerie and Anomen are must haves for my party. For bg1 I always make a multiplayer game and copy/paste it to single player, so I have a mage (charname), fighter, Imoen, Khalid, Jahiera, and Kivan. I don't plan to romance unless you manage to get Aerie into the mix.

It is impossible to redo the project in vanilla as it is now - because we draw heavily on BG2 coding provided by either TUTU or BGT.

One of the aims of the project was trying to convince people that there are more NPCs in the game than Minsc, Imoen, Khalid and Jaheira, along with making these all-time-favorites interesting and fascinating in BG1 contest, of course. While bringing in a BG2 character in BG1 is possible for some of BG2 characters, Aerie is a clear exception from this rule, because her backstory clearly states that she was a caged prisoner until Quayle came into her life as a protector. But look at it this way - while you can't have Aerie, you might meet a couple of people that influenced her one way or another - Quayle, who became her father-figure, and Dynaheir - Minsc's former witch.

There are also a number of interesting and versatile fighters in BG-TUTU cast, such as Kagain, Shar-Teel, Ajantis, Yeslick or Coran. Branwen, kitted as a cleric of Tempus via Song and Silence could be a fierce warrior. Safana, imo is as interesting a character as Imoen, or, if you like Aerie, Skie with her Eldoth dilemma could be an interesting story for you to watch. Faldorn could be an appealing alternative for Jaheira for some.

In other words, trying to break the mold of the Imoen-Minsc-Dynaheir-Kivan-Branwen or Imoen-Misnc-Dynaheir-Khalid-Jaheira or Imoen-Xan-Khalid-Jaheira-Kivan party could lead to fun and surprisingly satisfying gameplay :D

Cheers, and have fun howevere you chose to play

Edited by Domi