Sorry, and asking for permission

4 replies to this topic

#1 jkeion

jkeion
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:45 PM

Hey,

I recently uploaded a mod on the Beamdog forums that worked as a standalone mod as well as an addon for Divine Remix consisting of a few priest kits I was working on. To ensure consistency I was looking at both the Divine Remix .tra file and your .tp2 file and I think I copied some parts of it by mistake (I noticed it when I decided rebuild my own tp2 file for an update). I removed the mod from the site and edited the post already.

I know it's a bit late but Is it okay if I integrate some parts of your code into the mod I was making? I will put full references. If not, I shall not post my mod online.

(I am FailGeek on the Beamdog forums).

I also PMed CamDawg on the Beamdog forums.

Apologies

#2 jastey

jastey
  • Gibberlings
  • 6819 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:30 AM

Answered on Beamdog forums, too. What was the code in question? If it's just some weidu ninja-ing you couldn't code better by yourself, I really don't think it would be a problem.

#3 jkeion

jkeion
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:30 AM

To be specific, it was the spell to innate macro, and the biography injection (accounting for BG1, BG2 and IWD).

#4 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Gibberling Poobah
  • 2341 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:35 PM

As jastey says, most modders don't mind if you want to borrow macros or coding techniques they've used.  They're more likely to take issue if a mod idea is stolen and rebranded.  It's not a bad idea to ask the original mod author about borrowing some code, because they might tell you they wrote that code ages ago and there's a better way of doing things now.

It sounds like you'd be fine if you just added a comment to the code mentioning where it was borrowed from.

#5 jkeion

jkeion
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:21 PM

I'll do a credit inside the tp2 as well as a credit inside the readme and overview. If they ask me to take it down I will.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users