Character levels up to 2.5M XP on BG2 Tutorial

khelban12

I don't know if you read anything, but the bug was actually about bgt, not the tutorial. And quite some effort was put in by the reporter, so not much remained to be done.

Hardly anyone runs the vanilla tutorial, so of course it has lower priority. Now, if you're attached to it and willing to help us fix any issues, there's hardly any barrier. Is the extra xp that detrimental to the experience? Are you willing to test changes?

You got the vision wrong too. The mimic bit was about repeating the same mistakes. If the originals were all-round beautifully coded ...

I don't know if you read anything, but the bug was actually about bgt, not the tutorial.

The bug was about the tutorial but it was triggered due to code about BGT.

Please consider that people like the tutorial because you get to meet some BG1 characters and it's just a nice way for new players to ease into the game. It's part of the content, so players are going to expect it to be playable :-/

If the game fails already in the tutorial, it just leaves a bad impression.

The developers' goal seems to be to create a version of the Infinity Engine that can be used for new games, but most people who download GemRB probably have the goal of playing the old games, so there is probably a misunderstanding there. People expect something that GemRB apparently doesn't even try to do. I was told that having the engine mimic the behaviour of the original was actually not a goal of the devs. I think this should be stated more clearly...

Hardly anyone runs the vanilla tutorial, so of course it has lower priority.

Ideally gemrb should support everything the vanilla engine does. It should mimic the vanilla behavior when that is correct and alter/correct the vanilla engine's shortcomings.

I, for one, never remember running the tutorial (maybe i ran it when i first played it years ago). I have played BGT countless times and only recently realized that it used the tutorial. However, the tutorial should ideally be correct even if nobody ever runs it. For that part, i agree with tormentor.

However, we do not live in an ideal world. When i consider the practical part which is that gemrb is being developed by 2-3 people in their spare time and without having the luxury of having the original code like the beamdog team acquired, then some parts will have lower priority than others.

Having that in mind, the result is admirable. GemRB works on many platforms, is open source, is highly moddable, etc. Labeling the EE engine "modder friendly" is a joke when compared to GemRB. I can run a Sorcerer-Thief multiclass in GemRB and even before that, i could ran many combinations just with editing qslots,clskills and 2-3 more files. For example, i did a run once with a Sorcerer that could acquire find/remove traps. Of course it is not a legal class but it was fun for me and gemrb let me do it.

Archived