Weird installer

Guest Some BG addict

Guest Some BG addict

It took several minutes to install this mod and the same text kept appearing at the bottom; "{setup-bg1npc.exe} Querid (pid = xxxxx) version = 20400 query done." where xxxxx was a number counting down and then restarted.

When the installation was finished it said at the bottom: "ERROR: Cannot perform auto-update, exiting! Sys_error(Setup-Oversight.exe: Too many open files")".

It better not have f***** up my installation!

I've followed this guide: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=8122

to install these games/mods in their order:

1. BG.

2. TotSC.

3. TotSC patch.

4. BG2.

5. ToB.

6. ToB patch.

7. EasyTutu_ToB.exe

8. EasyTutuNPCKits-v2.exe.

9. Tutufix_v18.rar

10. BG1 NPC Project v14.

11. BG1UB V6 for Tutu/BGT.

12. Oversight.

13. SimDing0's D0Tweaks.

14. BG2 Tweak Pack.

15. EasyTutu Spawn Randomizer.

:)

Guest Guest

The same thing happend when I installed the tweak pack. I have corrected the list of mods, these are the exact file names:

1. BG

2. TotSC

3. BGTalesUK5512.exe

4. BG2

5. ToB

6. BGII-ThroneofBhaal_Patch_26498_ENGLISH.exe

7. EasyTutu_ToB.exe

8. EasyTutuNPCKits-v2.exe

9. Tutufix_v18.rar

10. BG1NPC-v15

11. BG1UB_v6_TutuBGT.exe

12. Oversight-v12.exe.

13. D0Tweak_v20.exe.

14. BG2_Tweaks_v6.exe.

15. EasyTutuSpawnRandomizer-v3.exe.

What your experiencing is an error with the installer of several mods.When you attempt to extract the mod and you get that constant autoupdating nonsense,just click the X button to close the window(yes i know ur not supposed to click the X button of a command prompt window but in this case it should be ok since nothing is being installed yet)then double click the installer again and the mod should autoupdate correctly.

What your experiencing is an error with the installer of several mods.When you attempt to extract the mod and you get that constant autoupdating nonsense,just click the X button to close the window(yes i know ur not supposed to click the X button of a command prompt window but in this case it should be ok since nothing is being installed yet)then double click the installer again and the mod should autoupdate correctly.

Yep, it's a problem with new versions of WeiDU. It happens when new versions of WeiDU try to update older versions. Sucks, doesn't it? I can't believe this kind of bug was overlooked.

The surest way to insure perfect installs...

<snip> Use the method cmorgan suggests below. Tis faster. :laugh:

...apparently the current WeiDU developers don't care... unless this issue was fixed in v205 (released recently; I haven't had the time to investigate).

I'm currently using an earlier, stable version of WeiDU for my modding needs until this issue is resolved.

aWL

EDIT: snip

unless this issue was fixed in v205 (released recently; I haven't had the time to investigate).
Yeah it was, and the latest version is v206. No need to live in the dark ages, what with Baldurdash and antiquated WeiDU. The Fixpack and new WeiDU are your friends :laugh:.

Most of the problems derive from the G3 auto-update.bats, which were necessary back in the day, but now are not (because the bigg has set up weiDU to do it). The autoupdate routine gets caught in a loop. So the quicker way to do this is to find G3 mods, and take the file

setup-mymod.bat

out of the package before running it.

Any G3 mod packaged with .zip or winrar can be easily repaired this way (and I believe almost all follow the G3 template, which uses winrar with sfx distribution, as indicated on the wikki; yet another reason to dislike NSIS installers, as you need to try to extract the mod to the desktop, then delete that file, then move the file to the correct directory, then run the .exe).

We are working through our mods and removing the obsoleted .bat files, but that spring cleaning is going to take some time.

Yeah it was, and the latest version is v206. No need to live in the dark ages, what with Baldurdash and antiquated WeiDU. The Fixpack and new WeiDU are your friends :laugh:.

New WeiDU is definitely a friend if this issue has been resolved. New functions make me happy. ;)

I'm becoming increasingly jaded on the Fixpack, tho (in fact, I just spent about an hour compiling a Baldurdash + Scriptable Spells + assorted critical fixes alternative for my current game).

Any G3 mod packaged with .zip or winrar can be easily repaired this way (and I believe almost all follow the G3 template, which uses winrar with sfx distribution, as indicated on the wikki; yet another reason to dislike NSIS installers, as you need to try to extract the mod to the desktop, then delete that file, then move the file to the correct directory, then run the .exe).

We are working through our mods and removing the obsoleted .bat files, but that spring cleaning is going to take some time.

I'm a bit confused about this. Does the new version of WeiDU fix the issue, or is removing the G3 .bat file still necessary? I've also had this problem with PocketPlane mods (tho they might be using the same .bat file since the two communities are basically different sides of the same coin; no insult meant at all as I enjoy mods from both, just an observation).

aWL

A quick follow-up note: WeiDU v206 does NOT fix this issue. Deleting the .bat file remains necessary in order to avoid the loop.
Ah, so it's a G3 (and I guess PPG) thing, not a WeiDU thing. So that's why cmorgan's doing his G3 mod "spring update" - I thought it was just because he was bored and didn't have enough other stuff to work on :(.

Anybody who set up any kind of auto-update script of any kind will get strage results - the trouble is not WeiDU, really, as the old scripts were a workaraound to force an update back in the day when WeiDU diodn't do it for you, and before the bigg started really testing and rebuilding things with full backwards compatibility in mind (so that dealing with v98 and v198 was ok).

@Miloch - yep. too many folks running into this problem. Going through and removing the obsolete scripts, getting README/VERSION/WeiDU v206/trying to add Linux distros. The equivalent of cleaning the garage. Just wish I could use a pressure hose on a mod...

I am having this same problem with Oversight-v12.exe.

http://c.imagehost.org/0929/Untitled_1_10.jpg

I have tried restarting the install, same result.

I tried deleting the named file in the installation folder, same result.

As near as I can tell I am using the latest versions of:

BGII + ToB (I got the patch at Bioware's site)

BG2fixpack

1pp studios graphic fix pack for BG2

Oversight

Installed in that order.

Oversight

Installed in that order.

The thing you need to do is in this case; delete the Setup-Oversight.exe, copy the setup-1pp.exe to the same directory thus making it setup-1pp - copy.exe, then rename it as Setup-Oversight.exe, and run it.

Maybe I ought to take this to a different section of the site, but you helped me out so quickly, I thought I'd try again. :laugh:

The switching files around thing worked perfectly, thank you. My installation now looks like this:

BGII + ToB (I got the patch at Bioware's site)

BG2fixpack

Oversight

Unfinished Business

Item Upgrade Mod for SoA and ToB

Ascension

D0Questpack

Big Picture

Redemption

BG2Tweaks (and here's the error I get from it: http://c.imagehost.org/0472/Untitled_2.jpg)

Installed from top to bottom, in that order. Will the file renaming thing will work again, and with which files?

OK, it worked fine. The exact same thing as the first time, just a different file. Thank you for your help!
Well, it works always... that's because the WeiDU program is trying to do it-itself(auto-update), but fails, because the setup-modname.exe has been modified. As the setup-modname.exe is actual WeiDU.exe just renamed so that it takes instructions from the file called setup-modname.tp2 ... :laugh:

Archived