Help with modifying the ring of wizardry

Question

I am attempting to modify the ring of wizadry to double more than just level 1 spells. Looking at it with infinite editor, the item's effect has the following settings :

Set to affect when equipped

Probability of 0-100%

Target : Self

Parametrs :

Spell addition : 1

Spell level : 0

From the text it seems that if you want to double the spell levels for that spell you leave the spell level at 0, and instead use the spell addition parameter to specify which spell level you want to double. I have tried this, by adding effects that will double 2nd to 9th level wizard spells. All it does is max out my first level spell memorizations.

I have also tried this with priest spells. I did the exact same thing as the ring of wizardry....putting "1" into spell addition parameter. Instead of doubling the first level priest spells as the normal ring of wizardry does to first level wiz spells, it adds an extra first level priest slot.

I cannot figure out what i am doing wrong as im simply using the default settings and modifying them to affect different spell levels.

Edit : Hmm strange. I deleted all the effects except the one set to 256...supposedly it will double level 9 wiz spells. Instead it doubles 1-9 wiz spells. Which means the IE editor text is wrong. Not only that but it brings up the question of how you get it to double, say, level 2 spells only, seeing as how putting in "2" will double 1st-2nd wiz spells, just like how putting 256 doubles 1st-9th spells instead of just 9th.

I tried the same thing with priest spells. Put 64 for 1st-7th spells. Instead of doubling them it adds 3 bonus 1st-2nd spells and 2 bonus 3rd level priest spells (the test character was not high level enough to cast more than 3rd level priest spells). I dont know why its not doubling the spells castable....my theory is that it only doubles base spells and i am not factoring in the bonus priest spells from having a high wis.

I am also attempting to duplicate the free action effect without it negating the boots of speed effects. Any ideas? Also it seems the effect "Free action" does not do anything, you have to manually add all the protection against opcode effects?

Hmm. Is it possible to add a effect to a item that duplicates a spell? Such as, say having a item give the armor spell effect while worn.

I am attempting to modify the ring of wizadry to double more than just level 1 spells. Looking at it with infinite editor, the item's effect has the following settings :

Set to affect when equipped

Probability of 0-100%

Target : Self

Parametrs :

Spell addition : 1

Spell level : 0

From the text it seems that if you want to double the spell levels for that spell you leave the spell level at 0, and instead use the spell addition parameter to specify which spell level you want to double. I have tried this, by adding effects that will double 2nd to 9th level wizard spells. All it does is max out my first level spell memorizations.

Use Near Infinity. If you change the # of spells to add to 0, that's when you see the doubling. Which spell levels to add are bit flags, which Near Infinity properly identifies and makes easy to edit.

I have also tried this with priest spells. I did the exact same thing as the ring of wizardry....putting "1" into spell addition parameter. Instead of doubling the first level priest spells as the normal ring of wizardry does to first level wiz spells, it adds an extra first level priest slot.

I cannot figure out what i am doing wrong as im simply using the default settings and modifying them to affect different spell levels.

Edit : Hmm strange. I deleted all the effects except the one set to 256...supposedly it will double level 9 wiz spells. Instead it doubles 1-9 wiz spells. Which means the IE editor text is wrong. Not only that but it brings up the question of how you get it to double, say, level 2 spells only, seeing as how putting in "2" will double 1st-2nd wiz spells, just like how putting 256 doubles 1st-9th spells instead of just 9th.

I tried the same thing with priest spells. Put 64 for 1st-7th spells. Instead of doubling them it adds 3 bonus 1st-2nd spells and 2 bonus 3rd level priest spells (the test character was not high level enough to cast more than 3rd level priest spells). I dont know why its not doubling the spells castable....my theory is that it only doubles base spells and i am not factoring in the bonus priest spells from having a high wis.

I suspect this is a similar issue with the editor not presenting the correct options. Again, use Near Infinity.

I am also attempting to duplicate the free action effect without it negating the boots of speed effects. Any ideas? Also it seems the effect "Free action" does not do anything, you have to manually add all the protection against opcode effects?

Free Action is a one-time, instant effect, clearing any movement effects on the player. Giving it a duration is useless. You will have to add protection from opcodes manually.

Hmm. Is it possible to add a effect to a item that duplicates a spell? Such as, say having a item give the armor spell effect while worn.

Yes. Items and spells use the exact same set of opcodes, so anything that can be done via spell can be attached as an item effect or ability.

I have it, and the problem im running into is there is no descriptive text to explain what a effect does and how to modify it.

I still cannot get the "reduce spellcasting...." effect to work. No values i put in for "amount" or "power" in NI do anything.

I cannot seem to get the "Decrease spellcasting speed by" effect to work. I put in -9, and 9, and absolutely nothing is changed...my spellcasting does not increase/decrease in speed?

If I'm not mistaken, these values need to be positive. It may be a bad timing mode--try looking at other spells/items which use this opcode.

Near Infinity lives at http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~joh/ni/. Even though the link is mislabeled as v1.32 beta 24 on the downloads page, the v1.33 beta 18 is the latest version and stable as hell.

Aura cleansing effect can be added to an item easily:

If you use IEEP, add the effect "Increase Spellcasting Speed" to your item, then go to the parameters section. There you will find two slots. One of them is "Spell/round" the other is "non-meaningful". The trick is that you should leave the "Spell/Round" field at zero, the one which is labeled as non-meaningful is actually the meaningful one. Set it to "1" (rather than 9) and it will work.

If you use DLTCEP, add effect 188 and then set the constant field to "1". It will work.

Note that aura cleansing will not decrease the casting time of your spell. It will rather eliminate the idle time between two successive spells, which means that you can start your second spell immediately after casting the first one.

If you want to reduce the casting time of spells, you need another effect: "Spell speed factor", the speed modifier factor will determine haw fast each will be cast, it must be a positive number. for example if you set it to 4, it will reduce the casting time by 4 (just like robe of Venca), but it will not grant you aura cleansing. If you want both effects, you need to add both to your item.

What if i were to use near infinity?

Okay im looking at the "Reduce spell factor" thing in IEEP. I have put "9" in the first parameter, 0 in the "non-meaningful" one. Spellcasting speed is still normal. I put 0 in the first one, 9 in the second, still nothing happens.

Daer'ragh's mental agility has power 2, speed modifier 1, and non-meaningful set to 0.

I have screwed with this numbers, to no avail. Modifying power and leaving speed mod at 1 does nothing. Modifying power AND speed mod does nothing. Modifying speed mod but not power does nothing. Modifying all 3 does nothing. Modifying speed mod/non-meaningful does nothing.

Okay im looking at the "Reduce spell factor" thing in IEEP.  I have put "9" in the first parameter, 0 in the "non-meaningful" one. Spellcasting speed is still normal. I put 0 in the first one, 9 in the second, still nothing happens.

What exactly do you want to do? Do you want to add "Aura cleansing" effect to your item or do you want to reduce casting time of the spells? These two are different and I explained both in my previous reply.

For modifying spell casting time, you need to add "Spell speed factor" to the equipped abilities of your item (not to the extension header). For adding aura cleansing you need to add "Increase Spellcasting Speed" to equipped abilities again.

Using IEEP, make sure that the timing mod is set to "while equipped", the target is set to "self", the probabilities are set to 0-100 respectively. No need to touch power, leave it at zero.

Then click on "Click to edit parameters":

(1) For "Spell Speed factor", set the first parameter a positive number (ex:4 or 5) and leave the second at zero.

(2) For "Increase Spellcasting speed" which grants aura cleansing, set the first parameter t0 zero and the second one to 1.

Does the spell actually work? (IIRC, his crap wasn't ever used.)

Yes, it works.

I am adding both. I have gotten the spells castable per round to work(i think), but the spellcasting speed modifier is not working.

I am adding it as an additional ability to the item, and the parameters are exactly as you said. I am not seeing any reduction in casting time at all.

ieep8km.th.jpg

Archived