Bug Reports: IR v4 Beta

we love you kreso.

I know. Everybody loves me, I'm kinda perfect.

V4 - Beta 10 (18.6.2017.)

- fixed Cernd's equpiment (staff & cloak were a mess), regen buffed to 1/round

- staff of woodlands fixed

- Valygar's armor Non-Detection working a la SR

- Shurupak is now splint mail

- Amulet of Spell Turning now turns back one "magic attack"

- wrong power level on some eff spells fixed to 0

- Vengeance cloak power to 3, fixed instakill due to posion and similar ticks

- ditto Yamato

- Mazzy sword now penalizes damage as well

- Keldnorn's armor matches description

- bracers of Blinding strike now give you 1xday whirlwind

- potion of speed now gives +6 to movement, 0.5 apr and stacks with haste

- Grandmaster tweaked to behave a la SR's imp.haste

- shadow armor now works a la SR's Ghost Armor

- deep guardian plate now makes you immune to hostile spells only

- ring of invisibility duration to 1 turn

- Spider's bane & Arbane fixed not to prevent paralyzation but web only

I'll finish Greenstone, tweak some minor stuff and upload tomorrow.

Kreso, are these new versions of SR and IR an alternative branches of those two fantastic mods or did you take the mantle of developing those mods from Demi? Can we treat these builds as official releases someday?

Kreso, are these new versions of SR and IR an alternative branches of those two fantastic mods or did you take the mantle of developing those mods from Demi? Can we treat these builds as official releases someday?

Haven't heard Demi from March, I'm afraid. :undecided: I cannot "take the mantle" since these aren't my mods and I've never asked permission to do so. .

I wouldn't call these "alternative" branches since I'm not really modifying much - it's mostly bugfixing for IR and SR base components.

I doubt Demi would object to that. There are some SR spells I tweaked for balance reasons (probably Waves of Fatigue being the most changed, followed by Wail of Banshee and Spellstrike, both of which Demi wanted to change at least similary to what I did).

EE-stuff I've made for SR is solely my work; which I've icluded (whatever I did is in the lib folder starting with my name since up until now I only did stuff via code for SR, base component spells otoh I've tweaked via NI) - it's (was) imo a shame that SR doesn't make use of what EEs now offer. None of these tweaks will affect the gameplay much - I'd label that as "convinience stuff" for EE players. Since I want SR to still work on old engine I made sure I kept the compatibility - i.e. code for Hardiness is parsed on both vanilla installs that use "Pro Spell" to avoid stacking, while ees use 321 so it's duration is refreshed. When you this via code, compatibility is preseved since I only change the relevant opcodes that are the same on both game versions.

That's why all EE changes are done by code w/o dropping spell files in your override (and it's far easier to debug stuff as well, at least for me).

On a sidenote, I'll see what I can do with Githhub...

Edited by kreso

Haven't heard Demi from March, I'm afraid. :undecided: I cannot "take the mantle" since these aren't my mods and I've never asked permission to do so. .

I wouldn't call these "alternative" branches since I'm not really modifying much - it's mostly bugfixing for IR and SR base components.

I doubt Demi would object to that. There are some SR spells I tweaked for balance reasons (probably Waves of Fatigue being the most changed, followed by Wail of Banshee and Spellstrike, both of which Demi wanted to change at least similary to what I did).

EE-stuff I've made for SR is solely my work; which I've icluded (whatever I did is in the lib folder starting with my name since up until now I only did stuff via code for SR, base component spells otoh I've tweaked via NI) - it's (was) imo a shame that SR doesn't make use of what EEs now offer. None of these tweaks will affect the gameplay much - I'd label that as "convinience stuff" for EE players. Since I want SR to still work on old engine I made sure I kept the compatibility - i.e. code for Hardiness is parsed on both vanilla installs that use "Pro Spell" to avoid stacking, while ees use 321 so it's duration is refreshed. When you this via code, compatibility is preseved since I only change the relevant opcodes that are the same on both game versions.

That's why all EE changes are done by code w/o dropping spell files in your override (and it's far easier to debug stuff as well, at least for me).

Thanks for an answer, I asked because I fear Demi will not pick up work on IR, SR and KR anymore (RL probably just caught him full time) and I wondered if you came to some kind of an agreement, that you will officially continue his work on those mods. Those mods truly deserve fully developed versions that will be uploaded to G3 site.

Thanks for an answer, I asked because I fear Demi will not pick up work on IR, SR and KR anymore (RL probably just caught him full time) and I wondered if you came to some kind of an agreement, that you will officially continue his work on those mods. Those mods truly deserve fully developed versions that will be uploaded to G3 site.

Edited by Cahir

will we never have a definitive version? It has been three years since I've started lurking in these forums and demiurgus is always away. Why doesn't he give the throne to someone else? Bartimaeus did a shitton of work with his own version and what is currently going on is complete void let him release a new version if needs be, at least we will have a version that is supposed to be bug free, instead of opening the can of worms each time

I have same doubts. With each installation, I wasn't able to advance more in the game before next version popups with several bugfixes. I stopped to care about SR/IR long time ago because it was endless alpha with constant changes and bug fixes. I strongly support kreso work but what I desire is Revised SCS 31 + IR + SR combo fully stable and finalized in terms of vision and consistency how things work. Maybe someday such thing will come true.

KR hasn't been updated in ages. I had a fully fixed version on my laptop, now it's gone since I didn't make any backup of it. :(

I'll see what I can do to make at least a fixed, AI-friendly version of it, since there are limitations.

Frankly, what I want to do now is

a) play the game using the current SR version I uploaded

b) include fixes for IR (those I made + those I'll make tonight)

c) fix what needs to be fixed/changed and test out everything

d) name the new versions "IRv4" and "SRv4"

e) get KR back online (not much, at least bugfixing)

f) final, but not the least, see what I can do with Gith Hub.

While this may not seem like much work; I'm the kind of player that pays much attention to detail and want things to go and play out perfectly. Even a missing "Immunity to display string" annoys me to no avail.

Managing a mod like SR is a huge undertaking by itself, let alone when you want all changes to work with due care and respect for other people's work. Then you've got IR which has about 100 bugs at least, and a number of items that need to be tweaked one way or another - Demi had much more original ideas about tweaks than I do. :undecided:

Fixing bugs is easy, but to make an item original, useful, unique and special in a game that has hundreds of those is something which Demi used to do perfectly. So even tweaking an item like Deirek's Ring of Spell Turning (now it can cast Spell Turning 1xday, but if you install SR's "AoE Deflection" this is horrible) takes a lot of thinking about making an item really stand out, which is one of the reasons IR is so well accepted by the community. And that's just one item.

Then you've got Greenstone Amulet. My idea is to tweak this item so it protects you from spells, but not on-hit and effects (so it's kinda balanced). Doing this took more than an hour of my time. And I'm still not happy with it.

If you want the item to work on both old and ee engine you can't use any ee goodies :( . At least on EEs things can be improved much further.

IR's to-do list is:

- bugfixes and tweaks for current version; and then I'd probably call old-BGs IR's (and SR) development "final". There's no point in looking back anymore. While you can drive a 1980 WW Golf, why would you do it when you've got a 2012 Ferrari in your garage?

- EE1 new items

- EE2 new items

- SoD items (I'd say these are mostly fine as they are in most cases, since it's obvious they drew inspiration from IR)

- make Store Revisions include BG1. Code-wise, I think this shouldn't be hard. Balance-wise, this is a legit nightmare.

Well, the first thing you should do is try to get the word correct. = GitHub :devlook:

Yeah, I know that's a typo, but had to throw the joke in...

It's not a typo...

will we never have a definitive version? It has been three years since I've started lurking in these forums and demiurgus is always away. Why doesn't he give the throne to someone else? Bartimaeus did a shitton of work with his own version and what is currently going on is complete void let him release a new version if needs be, at least we will have a version that is supposed to be bug free, instead of opening the can of worms each time

I have same doubts. With each installation, I wasn't able to advance more in the game before next version popups with several bugfixes. I stopped to care about SR/IR long time ago because it was endless alpha with constant changes and bug fixes. I strongly support kreso work but what I desire is Revised SCS 31 + IR + SR combo fully stable and finalized in terms of vision and consistency how things work. Maybe someday such thing will come true.

I don't know about "definite" versions. Maybe never, with 2000 spells + 1000 items in the game there's always something to tweak. :D

But I would be very happy with versions that are

a) bugfree

b) fun

c) stable

d) balanced

This day will come soon I hope - frankly, I much prefer playing the game than modding. I know there's been a lot of fixes during the v3-v4 advancement; but SRv4 introduced some new stuff that's much different then what you had in v3. First I suggested that Break Ench could use "remove spell type protections" which worked great. But then you've got an issue that not all spells game uses as disables (charms, holds, etc.) are actually coded with "disabling" secondary type.

Then there was an idea about Dispelling Screen mechanic, by Toxin. Then I made this work (september 2015, first go.....sigh.. :love: ), then I went further with sectypes for haste & slow + petrification, then there were bugs, then there were fixes, then EE messed up stuff, then more fixes, then more bugs with AoE Deflection, then fixes, then bugs with petrification etc. You should also understand that my work with this was pretty much my 2nd modding attempt. All things considered, it worked out fine, considering how delicate BG spell system is....

But I would be very happy with versions that are

a) bugfree

b) fun

c) stable

d) balanced

But which one of the 4 versions is this then ?

While you can drive a 1980 WW Golf, why would you do it when you've got a 2012 Ferrari in your garage?

It's this little thing called fuel consumption, as a 2015 Ferrari has a 14.08 miles per gallon(yes, 7.1 gallons per 100 miles is that), the 1980's VW Golf has 18.6 miles per gallon. Switch the cars a bit and you get other results yes, but the general direction is very much the same. F's are economically very bad cars.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Not sure if this has been brought up, but there's a pretty severe bug with everything that adds arcane casting speed penalty - in the case of any mage/cleric hybrid (dual, multi, or triple) that penalty will in fact ALSO AFFECT DIVINE SPELLS. That's a massive blow to any cleric hybrid, and given that those items all specifically state they affect ARCANE casting speed (and clerics are indeed meant to use armor/shields all the time), I cannot believe this is intentional.

It does not affect single-class clerics, or clerics in class combos other than mage.

Ignore if it's already fixed, I can't find all the up-to-date documentation.

Edited by Lord_Tansheron

It's not intentional, but it's unavoidable.

Due to engine limitations, innate abilities and divine spells cast by arcane casters while wearing armor will also be affected by this change.

At one point, to eliminate the unfairness, there was a version of this component that affected all classes, so the behaviour for divine casters would at least be consistent.