Polytweak, initial release

The 'fix'

Well this should do it... it's completely reused code from the PolyTweaks v2.0, and I have no rights to use it from polytope, but as I am just filling in a request for you Simon280586, I see no reason why you shouldn't use it. As you could just quote the stuff out yourself ... which would require a bit of coding knowledge, but this makes it unnecessary.

To use that, just first uninstall the PolyTweaks troll component, to do that just run the setup-Polytweaks.exe and skip the other components and selecting the uninstall option when the Troll component comes, and then install the above by first extracting the archive to the game folder and running the setup-PolyTrip.exe .

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

So I tried it out and the trolls now die normally, and the spirit trolls no longer flicker. That's great!

However, I think part of the fix is still missing: polytweaks applied improved invisibility via script, rather than their claws, but now the trolls never go invisible. Now they are pretty easy to kill (as they are easier to hit and can be targeted by spells). Also, they no longer drain strength on a hit.

I have a save where there's a lone spirit troll down the hallway that I can easily test on. With your component installed, he's visible. If I uninstall it and install the polytweaks component, he's invisible, and becomes partially visible when he attacks me.

Any chance you could take a look at this? :love:

edit: I had a look through the scripts and found this (in TROLSI01.BCS). But I don't know what to do with it as I don't know any programming.

IF
!StateCheck(Myself,STATE_IMPROVEDINVISIBILITY)
HPGT(Myself,1)
!GlobalTimerNotExpired("trollinvis","LOCALS")
THEN
RESPONSE #100
ApplySpellRES("A^TROINV",Myself)
SetGlobalTimer("trollinvis","LOCALS",TEN_ROUNDS)
END

IF
!StateCheck(Myself,STATE_INVISIBLE)
!Detect([GOODCUTOFF])
!StateCheck(Myself,STATE_BLIND)
!CheckStatLT(Myself,7,VISUALRANGE)
!Range(Player1,4)
!Range(Player2,4)
!Range(Player3,4)
!Range(Player4,4)
!Range(Player5,4)
!Range(Player6,4)
!GlobalTimerNotExpired("turninvis","LOCALS")
THEN
RESPONSE #100
ApplySpellRES("A^TROINV",Myself)
SetGlobalTimer("turninvis","LOCALS",ONE_ROUND)

Also it looks like the strength drain effect comes from a^spitrl.spl:

Effect: Type: Strength bonus (44),Targettype: TargetPresetTarget (2),Power: 0,Value: -1

Edited by Simon280586

Can anyone who has used this mod before confirm:

When the trolls 'die' and are replaced by the damage-immune version, does the new troll 'play dead'? On my install, the new trolls are still able to move and attack. I wonder whether this is intentional?

I had a look through the scripts and creature files and noticed that the process goes something like this:

Troll 1 > Uses Troll 1 script > Troll 1 'dies' (without fire/acid) > Troll 1 creates Troll 2 > Troll 1 destroys self

Troll 2 > Uses Troll 1 script

Whereas the default behaviour is:

Troll 1 > Uses Troll 1 script > Troll 1 'dies' > Troll 1 switches animation to Troll 2

Troll 2 > Uses Troll 2 script > Script says 'play dead' > Play dead

Basically I'm wondering if the Polytweaks Troll 2 is meant to use the same script as Troll 1. I would have thought the new troll is meant to play dead.

Thoughts?

edit: I did some tests with the ice trolls in the keep. I changed trolic02.cre to use trolic02.bcs (rather than trolic01.bcs). Now the trolls behave as I would expect - when they 'die', they are replaced by a new troll which plays dead, is immune to most damage, and if left alone will eventually get back up and revert to the original script. And they can be killed directly, for example with a flame arrow spell. It's awesome!

However, since I have no modding experience, I am unsure what to do next. If I edit the relevant .cre files using Near Infinity, will this affect the Weidu uninstall process?

Here's a list of the creature files with possibly incorrect scripts:

trolde02

trolgi02

trolic02

troll02

troll03

trolsi02

trolsn02

trolsp02

hgtrl02

edit 2: I backed up the files above (copying them from the override folder) and edited the originals - assigning each the script corresponding to its name. It seems to work well.

edit 3: This mod is seriously awesome. There's something incredibly satisfying about doing some fire/acid damage and then killing a troll with normal weapons. Trolls are no longer a chore!

edit 4: noticed another (possible) minor bug. From the tp2 file:

~obsice04.cre~ ~override~ //Planar sphere snow troll

obsice04.cre is actually a mountain bear, according to Near Infinity. The snow troll is obsice01.cre.

Edited by Simon280586

Simon280586, I'm having the same issues with the 'near dead' trolls being up and active on a BG@EE install; seems like for some reason the scripts are not being assigned properly, possible conflict with SCS assigned scripts perhaps. I've installed the component long after SCS per the author's instructions too.

I'll go ahead and manually swap out the scripts as you described for now.

Edited by ithildurnew

Upon further playthrough it seems there are a number of other troll cre files besides the ones listed above that become unkillable in a EE install with Polytweaks' troll component, for example Roger the fence's Sea Troll (ROGTRO01 and ROGTRO02.cre), the snow trolls in the planar sphere (OBSICE01.cre), etc. Hard to say how many more there will be as I'm still in the early stages but it gets pretty tedious to run away from an immortal troll, save game, and NI to fix the scripts and restart, reload, etc. repeatedly.

It's really fantastic how Polytweaks implements trolls but for now this component needs to be considered incompatible with EE (it's worked fine with non EE installs as far as I remember) until someone compiles a comprehensive list of affected trolls and patches the mod to modify their scripts properly with EE. A shame; I hope a fix/update does come through at some point.

Edited by ithildurnew

I will, but it might take me a while because so much of my earlier work has been lost with my old hard drive (backed some of it up on USB stick, but not enough) for now I must just emphasize what other posters have already discovered do not use the troll component on Enhanced Edition.

(In my defence, EE hadn't touched the troll-death mechanic when I released Polytweak all those years ago)