SR + BG 2 enhanced edition?

geg_Ma3gau

Hi. So i ve gotten BG EE and i need SR installed but it doesnt seem to work because it says something like "this mod only works with bg2 engine" during installation and skips all components.

BG EE is badly bugged and i refuse to play without at least fixing mirror image protection from aoe spells.

How do i make 3.1 run on BG EE?

where do i take version 3.4?

can i have SR v 4 which apparently is better balanced (less - 6 save spells) and works with BGEE?

Do not use V3 on EE, I've sent you a PM for V4. Case closed. ;)

Could you send it to me as well? You already did actually, last summer, after a discussion on the BG:EE forums, but I lost your email and it seems that after all the work that has been going on lately, I should use a more recent beta! Thanks.

I am sorry I am not helping out myself but I am not playing the game. :(

All I can contribute is just theoretical at this point. Once the final versions are out I promised myself I'd do a full BGT playthrough.

I had to reinstall everything on IWDEE (a really difficult and annoying task on an iPad) to get SR and IR and FPPS and everything working together. So I'm only in Dragon's Eye and have only had the use of cleric spells, and only up to level 3 so far (I just dualled a cleric to mage, so I'll finally have some use of, and feedback for, wizard spells. Though, the MS spells don't get patched into stores for IWD, and I have no CLUA console, so I won't be able to discuss them.)

I've already discussed Obscuring Mist and ASI. ASII is working fine, the war dogs are pretty squishy but for a 2nd level spell that's how they should be.

Magic Stone is extremely useful. My cleric of Mystra can cast Magic Missile, which I consider to be the best spell in the game. But for the Vale of Shadows she didn't memorize a single MM. 3 back-row casters tossing Magic Stones meant skeletons were dropping like flies. I really like this as an undead-specific MMM.

Spiritual Hammer is also great for back-row casters. I think it might be a bit OP. It gets a +4 thac0 bonus for being a touch attack, but it works from 20 feet away...? I think one or the other of those two bonuses would be enough.

Flame Blade is great. I'm not high-enough level to enjoy the scaling but it's great to know that it will continue to be useful. An enemy priest used it against me and he was really dangerous, I had to target him quick before he could do too much damage with it.

The only problem, as ever, is that it pales in comparison to Spiritual Hammer. If the SH has force and heft, but can magically hit from afar, I think it shouldn't have the touch thac0 bonus. Then FB, in contrast, as a weightless rod of pure flame, would have the benefit of the touch thac0 bonus, but that would be offset by the danger of engaging in front-line melee.

I just used Grease + Entangle together and they make an amazing combination.

Silence has been very ineffective against Lizard Man Shamans. (Maybe they have really good saving throws?) I'm inclined to think it should have some effect even on a successful save. Like deafness with 50% spell failure for two rounds. At least that way, on average, you will trade one spell for one spell. (And Vocalize should cure deafness as well as silence.)

I'll add my voice to the chorus clamorous for faster Regeneration. Faster but with tight caps on the amount healed. Right now I'm casting it in front-liners as a *pre-fight* buff and it lasts through the whole fight, basically like a potion of regeneration. I know you see slower regen as a check on its power, but I think using it like this rather makes it *more* powerful.

Did you add a saving throw to Command? Or is it just IWD? (Or was it always like that?) I'm finding it to be singularly useless. Of course I'm also using my Drowse cantrip which causes 6 seconds of Sleep on a failed save, and can be cast at will. Still though, as a single-target sleep spell - especially with TobEx/EE's "wake on hit" - it should either be 1-round duration with no save, or like 4-5 rounds if it allows a save. But again, this might not be an SR issue at all.

I think that's it for now. Hopefully this weekend I'll start to see higher level spells.

@subtledoctor, thanks! :)

Magic Stones are getting even better in the next build. I had to reduce their "duration" because of an EE bug, but in exchange I reduced their casting time from 5 to 1. I'm glad to hear they are now a decent option for some players.

Ideally Flame Blade advantage over Spiritual Hammer should be the higher damage output, but you are not the first one to notice the latter is almost OP for its lvl considering it also gets a slightly better dmg type. I was thinking to slightly raise FB dmg output, but while I'm still unsure about that I do agree SH needs a small nerf.

I love SR's Grease too. I'm still tempted to make it increase fire dmg in the area...

I have no idea how saves work on IWDEE (e.g. do those lizards get outstanding saves vs spell?), but Silence spell itself seems fine with its large friendly AoE and huge -4 save penalty. The "problem" with Silence is how easy it is to counter it with Vocalize, but it can still prove useful against priests or to "buy one round" against multiple mages (it's still a good opportunity cost if you can silence 2 or more casters with a single spell because they have to expend 2 or more spells to counter it). Deafness is already used by another spell of the same lvl...if anything I would use a small spell failure, but I don't think either solution really fits.

Players opinions on Regenerate Wounds spells go from "they suck" to "they are way better than CW spells". It's really hard to say because it depends on a lot of factors but I'm really not convinced they need a change.

Command had no save but it was limited to low HD targets. Similarly to Sleep it went from OP to completely useless depending on the stage of the game. I opted for a save which gets harder to resist (up to -4 penalty as Spook). A no save effect would be very OP for a 1st lvl spell imo. Even with just 1 round duration you could easily spam such a cheap spell to permanently disable a powerful foe.

Ideally Flame Blade advantage over Spiritual Hammer should be the higher damage output, but you are not the first one to notice the latter is almost OP for its lvl considering it also gets a slightly better dmg type. I was thinking to slightly raise FB dmg output, but while I'm still unsure about that I do agree SH needs a small nerf.

How about adding a keen-like property to FB (i.e., it has a chance to scorch the target) for 1 fire damage\round for 3 rounds total or so?

SH is indeed a bit op, but in a good kind of way imo (hello sunscorch) :D

If anything, the duration can be slightly nerfed.

I'm still tempted to make it increase fire dmg in the area...

Yes, please.

Although, how would such a feature handle creatures that are immune to grease (flying, incorporeal etc)?

Command had no save but it was limited to low HD targets. Similarly to Sleep it went from OP to completely useless depending on the stage of the game. I opted for a save which gets harder to resist (up to -4 penalty as Spook). A no save effect would be very OP for a 1st lvl spell imo. Even with just 1 round duration you could easily spam such a cheap spell to permanently disable a powerful foe.

All fair points. But in that case (allowing a save) then I think it's duration should be extended. If all you get is a six-second nap *assuming everything goes your way* (and assuming the i tom doesn't take any damage and wake up in that time) then it's not just underpowered, but straight-up useless.

Consider Spook and Horror: single-target and with an improving save, vs. multiple-target. Here, Command compares against Sleep in a similar way... but Sleep is the same level as Command! So the power difference between them shouldn't be so drastic. I'd say a 3-round duration would make it attractive but not OP.

Hello,

I'm newly registered to the site, but I have been lurking for some time.

I had BGT at one point, but now I have BGEE and BG2EE. Consequently, this awesome mod (along with IR) do not work with the EE game. I would really like to play the betas for SR and IR, and Kit revisions too (which is in open beta, as I understand it). Could I have links to the latest SR and IR betas?

I'll try to do some bug reporting, when I have time to play...

Thank you!

-Dew

Command is just sleep with a minimum duration and, in my opinion, should have been left untouched. Very powerful foes don't have low HD and the extremely short duration does not make it overpowered. It's not completely useless either later on because, while the spell allows a save vs higher level enemies, it's not totally ineffective against them.

I don't think SR should really make its goal to render each and every existing spell equally useful at every level. It's okay to have some spells that are mostly effective at some level range (like Command is) also to give more role playing and variation to the caster's spell book choice.

But in this, Demi and I have never seen much eye to eye... ;)

Archived