Curious...

Lich

Well, maybe not exactly the answer you had in mind, but you will be able to meet Ajantis again in my Ajantis BGII-mod, which I am currently working on, and there will be the possibility to continue the BG1 romance. (Seifer is working on Ajantis for BGII in his mod, too, but I don't know about romance possibilities there.) For the other NPCs - I have no idea. And please, the project is big enough already... :( But if you want to volunteer as a writer, that's fine! :)

The idea is great, though! :(

I think it will largely depend on the author of a particular romance. So, speaking only for myself:

I intend my Kivan of Shilmista project as continuation of BG1 development of Kivan. I am not sure yet if it will or will not include a romance in the traditional sense of the word.

Dynaheir's romance will be ended with Dynaheir's death.

Coran's romance is a v. tempting thing to continue in BG2

Pro's of continuing romances is of course an absolutely valid idea that if you romanced someone in BG1, they would stick around with you and continue being your lover.

There are con's though:

Romances, are a huge writing/coding undertaking and they become more and more complex as you go from the first dozen talks to teh second dozen talks. We aim for about 25 talks per BG1 romance. Another 30 for BG2 SoA and 15 for ToB... that is a huge, huge thing and it is walking uphill, if you want to keep it interesting, not slide into the multitude of "fillers" and the "sames".

Plus the modern plank of a romance was raised very high for BG2, ie you will need flirt-packs (again not a multitude of the "sames", additional quests, reactional banters with NPCs, conflicts... ie half-a-year minimum worth of full-time writing.

There is a question of reusing BG1 talks as well - it might be very awkward for the palyer who did not paly BG1 to find him/herself already in the developped relationship which presumes a lot that "had been". On another hand, the player who did play BG1 will be bored going through the already seen material.

I can just see all the: "But I have never been intimate with Coran yet, and he says that my passionate lovemaking is what keeps him coming back... in the LT1! Can you please add another 3 options? or pull Robin Hobb's Foll's Errand trick with summarizing her first trilogy in the first 200 pages of the 600 pages book...

With dwindling demand and interest in BG2 mods, there is relatively low inscentive to write a continuation of a BG1 romance for BG2 and ToB...

Low incentive? There seem to be many *more* SoA mods in some stage of development than ever before.

No, I think the real problem is one of continuity. Atm, SoA doesn't "know" anything about what went on in BG1, not even who was in the final party vs Sarevok. So until someone figures out how to port the actual characters and relationships from BG1 into SoA, there can't be any real continuous romancing from one to the other.

I have to disagree with that; there are far more people on the various IE-related forums than there ever has been before. I mean, for people who enjoy character driven RPGs more than any other kind, there's really only one or two newer RPGs of that type that are anywhere near as good as the BG series.

Anyway, I did consider including Alora in LoI, but now she's being included in one of the CoM mods (Encounters) it seems a bit of a waste of time. Though having said that, the author does seem to be doing things with her that I disagree with, so I may eventually feel the need to make an alternate version :).

I'd definitely be interested in seeing a progression/continuation of BG1 romances (for applicable characters, of course, like Adjantis, Branwen, Xan and Coran) in SoA/ToB.

Although I agree with Domi that playing BG2 over and over again for the sake of trying a new NPC *can* get old, a well-written dialogue/romance makes it all worthwhile. Just thought I would toss out a little incentive there.. LOL!

The problem, however, as I see it would be the fact that in some cases it *does* affect some SoA quests. Adjantis and Coran come to mind here. For Adjantis it might not be so difficult to remove Anomen's interjection (wasn't that done in the original game and restored by UB?) which is really the only reference to Adjantis in the whole game, IIRC. I could be wrong here, but, I can't think of any other spot where Adjantis is mentioned.

Coran would be the trickier one to integrate, being that he *does* have his own little side-quest in Tethyr. It would certainly involve that particular quest being re-written, although it is a small and truthfully useless venture that doesn't result in anything truly earth-shattering or game-changing.

@Domi: As far as writing, I would be more than happy to contribute as far as SoA/ToB content. If the idea actually materializes, then I'd be happy to send in sample banters and lovetalks and whatnot.

One little question, however, regarding the Dynaheir romance in BG1: I thought I read somewhere that she dies at the end of BG1, not sure if this implies she was killed by Sarevok or someone else. My question is, how does this translate into continuity, since it is made very clear in SoA that it was Jon Irenicus who killed her, right in front of Minsc? Maybe it would be better to let her live instead, to keep the story consistent with SoA content?

Just my $0.02...

I don't think SoA says that Irenicus killed Dynaheir; what I got from Minsc's words were that as they were kidnapped, Dynaheir was killed while Minsc saw but could not help. It could've been a stray arrow or something as opposed to Irenicus torturing/murdering her.

Coran would be the trickier one to integrate, being that he *does* have his own little side-quest in Tethyr.  It would certainly involve that particular quest being re-written, although it is a small and truthfully useless venture that doesn't result in anything truly earth-shattering or game-changing.

This is where SetName(I:STRREF*) comes in handy. :)

I don't think SoA says that Irenicus killed Dynaheir; what I got from Minsc's words were that as they were kidnapped, Dynaheir was killed while Minsc saw but could not help. It could've been a stray arrow or something as opposed to Irenicus torturing/murdering her.

If I remember correctly, Minsc's Favored Enemy is vampires. Don't we know someone close to Irenicus that is a vampire? Just a thought...not a nice one, though.

Archived