What is going on with forums?

Sir Kalthorine

PPG - color choice is too bright on the main page, displays time you spent there, it is difficult to find profile editing options

Heh, well, while we're playing "Defend Your Forum", I've viewed PPG on a variety of monitors and haven't been too appalled any time I've seen it. The profile management improved quite a bit once SMF got to version RC1, I believe, so if you haven't gone through it in a while you might be a bit more pleased (or less displeased.)

As for the time display... well, that's not really the fault of the software or its operation. Just a handy reminder. ;)

(And, oh dear, other people remember the early Studios total crash too, eh?)

The profile management improved quite a bit once SMF got to version RC1, I believe, so if you haven't gone through it in a while you might be a bit more pleased (or less displeased.)

Actually I went through it 2 days ago. The trick was *getting* into profile management. I actually had to use Help file. And yes, compare to old orange PPG, blue is a step forward ;)

The profile management improved quite a bit once SMF got to version RC1, I believe, so if you haven't gone through it in a while you might be a bit more pleased (or less displeased.)

Actually I went through it 2 days ago. The trick was *getting* into profile management. I actually had to use Help file. And yes, compare to old orange PPG, blue is a step forward ;)

(There is that big blue "profile" button up there. ??? )

Some people liked the orange. On the other hand, nobody liked the horrifying placeholder HTML I wrote.

Every once in a while a major overhaul of the design principles, forum divisions and other parts one has come to love is not that bad. PPG is a quantum leap from the blueish thingy in all aspects I can recall. Usually I stick with the 'familiarity breeds contempt' idea, but after something is gone everybody turns nostalgic all of a sudden.

Admins watch your backups and for all the old stuff: good riddance.

BTW: I like the Aqua Blue skin on G3 so much I am now considering buying an Apple. ;)

CoM - horrible colours, other than that never used it much to know if it has other quirks

You can change the skin.

Bioware - horrible colours, ridiculous log in procedure that kicks you out of the forum once you logged in when trying to reply to a post; not much luck with Guest posting either.

You can configure it to let you stay logged in.

-Echon

kicks you out of the forum once you logged in when trying to reply to a post

/side comment: This could be a problem of the cookie settings of your browser, at least that was the explanation when I had similar problems: with Netscape 7.x you can choose "deny all cookies from this site", and once chosen, you can only change it by deleting the site's address under options -> security -> cookies -> saved cookies and then in a next step accept the cookies from that site. If that was the problem you should stay logged in after that. -Maybe this helps someone, I spend some time to realise this (actually I didn't - I was told.) ;)

It all depends on you firewall, security etc settings. Some forums try to load cookies on your machine etc, and when your security settings do not want that to happen, you logging in procedure becomes a pain. Yes, Echon, I know that I can change skin, but I am talking about the default view for a person who does not stay logged in/or cannot stay logged in on the forums. That's why guest posting and default views are such a big issue for me. At some point to log into FW I had to disable all security programs on my machine, getting an earful from my resident System Administrator... ;)

At some point to log into FW I had to disable all security programs on my machine, getting an earful from my resident System Administrator... ;)

I think that was the old old YaBB 1.4 days at FW. It particularly had trouble maintaining logins for Netscape users. I had trouble, Kish had trouble... I think I probably still have those e-mails somewhere, actually.

CoM - horrible colours, other than that never used it much to know if it has other quirks

You can change the skin.

To difficult for some people I guess. ;)

Back to TF and being hosted by them. I guess you get what you pay for. Well it's free. ???

In the mean time head on over yonder to talk about CoM mods.

The main problem I have with Bioware forums is that they take so darn long to load. I hate to think what they must be like on dial-up. I've had the same problem with being told I'm not logged on as Domi has, too, and it's not my cookie settings unless Bioware's page reacts to cookies in a different way than any other forum I visit. Plus it's not consistent, so I doubt it's anything on my end.

G3's the only one that's never given me any technical problems. ;)

Archived