What is going on with forums?

Sir Kalthorine

Guest Eon Blue Apocaypse

Okay, I've been wondering this for too long now, I've got to ask this:

For years I've been a lurker at infinity modding forums, mainly at TeamBG, but did occasionally visit other sites like the old fwstudios. Last year I spent in India, so I wasn't online a lot. After I returned, several things had changed, most notably TeamBG's demise. However, something happened at fw as well, what with jcompton and possibly others having been banned there and a lot of negative vibe between parts of fw and ppg. So it seems to me like there was a row at fw, and the discontent switched to ppg. My question: what exactly happened, I don't want to start digging up the past, turning this 'neutral' board into a battleground, but if someone could give me the basic facts I'd be most grateful. ;)

Eon, you are correct in your assumption that there was a major falling out among members of the community, and there remains to this day a lot of "bad-blood" and malcontent which resulted in this "splintering" that you now see.

To speak of it further, however, only serves to reopen old wounds and hinder the healing process many of us hope for. More than likely things will never be the same in the BG community; but I for one am hoping that someday everyone can learn to put the past behind and move forward from this point.

The modding community itself, although splintered, continues to grow and thrive, which is great to see and be a part of. The "basic facts" of the disagreement, however, probably should remain buried to those who are not directly involved, lest it cause further dissent among the members of this community.

OFF

Btw, Bigg, how is Ref. v2 going? (can't check the forum)

Well, I don't exactly know how much will we have to do (we'll be done only when TGM stops proposing new ideas ;) ), but you should know it'll be a hell of an improvement.

On my part, I have to be arsed to re-write the scripts I made for the planetars, since they have been completely changed another time around. Bah ;).

Sorry for the OT... ???

I'm always kind of amused when it's asserted that lack of discussion will help people feel better. (Or that community dissent is a bad thing.)

Shout, shout. Let it all out...

Actually, I'd PM or e-mail you, Eon, but you posted as a guest with no contact info.

The short version is that became apparent that Neil had some very different ideas about how Studios and Forgotten Wars should be run. So I decided to move my work to a new site and welcomed the vast majority of FW mods and modders, and we moved a couple of other Studios resources (Tutu and WeiDU.org boards) in subsequent months. Studios, meanwhile, added a variety of new staff members and proudly took on a great deal of TeamBG characteristics. Those of you keeping score at home will want to update your scorecards to reflect that at the moment, neither Ghrey nor I are banned from Studios.

(And to bring things back on topic: We've also enjoyed considerably less downtime since setting up our own resources.)

Obligatory farcture joke only I think is funny: It wasn't just PPG/Studios, you know. Last year this board also broke away from camagna.net in a disgusting display of hubris.

Those of you keeping score at home will want to update your scorecards to reflect that at the moment, neither Ghrey nor I are banned from Studios.

I'd noticed your reply in the ogg topic and wondered..

Thanks Kai and jcompton (shout it all out at me if you want to ;) ) for the explanation. It's a shame these type of problems always seem to pop-up in online communities. I guess it could be worse than it is at the moment.

Forgottenwars used to be two sites that later merged though, right? And the CoM developped independent of this all?

I can't remember the last time I've had problem accessing this site or ppg. I prefer IPB over the bbs software ppg is using, therefore I find G3 and fw more comfortable to use.

Forgottenwars used to be two sites that later merged though, right?

From April 2001-summer 2002 there was just the one "Forgotten Wars" site. Neil launched Studios that summer to provide mod hosting on different, less restrictive terms than I enforced at FW, which consolidated a lot of the independent mod boards that had cropped up (Tashia, Chloe, etc.) and gave Weimer an excuse to get off of the godawful rickety forums nobody liked but him and Blucher.

Once PPG was established last March/April, FW was left with exactly one published mod, so its administration decided to fold what was left of FW into Studios and then re-brand Studios back to "Forgotten Wars", a change keen observers will notice not everyone recognizes.

And the CoM developped independent of this all?

Yes, CoM's been around for quite some time and is its own entity. It just so happens to be hosted by the same free gaming community, Telefragged, as Studios.

I prefer IPB over the bbs software ppg is using, therefore I find G3 and fw more comfortable to use.

And I think Invision should be stabbed with a shrimp fork. So. ;)

Forgottenwars used to be two sites that later merged though, right?

Yes, what Jason is calling "Studios and Forgotten Wars" are more generally known as Forgotten Wars Projects and Forgotten Wars Studios.

Archived