ITEMEXCL.2da Cap

Aquadrizzt

I asked this couple of months ago on the beamdog forums but got no response. Is the ITEMEXCL.2da cap hard- or soft-coded in the original engines? What about in GemRB?

How does ITEMEXCL.2da actually prevent equipping? Does it just give each item a set of "cannot equip [other item]" effects or is it more complex?

GemRB implements itemexcl by storing the associated number in the item object. When you try to equip an item it checks if any other equipped items' itemexcl field contain the same bits. If yes, then forbids equipping.

The IE doesn't handle multiple bits. If you try to equip an item on the list, it simply checks if you have already equipped another from the list.

By "cap" I mean the number of items that can be equipped from that list. It appears that the cap I'm referring to is just 1, according to Avenger.

So I take it that implementing a limit of say, 3, items from the list wouldn't be possible.

You have to realize why the number of items is 1, it's because the magic of the items, in normal game, you won't be able to carry a +1 amulet of protection and a +1 chainmail ... because they use the "same magic" to archive the +1 to the Armor Class.

And yeah, you can only restrict the number of maximum items to 1 with this mechanism.

The reason I was wondering in the first place is because I was thinking about using an "attunement" system similar to 5e in which you can only equip 3 items that require attunement simultaneously. This would be part of a much larger overhaul type mod, and I'm sure with enough coding around the engine I could implement it without using ITEMEXCL.2da, but I figured that it might be able to simplify the process.

currently none of the other bits are used, so the mechanic could be upgraded/recycled.

Actually, i think they are used in GemRB. Items with the same bit(s) are incompatible, but items with disjunct bits are equipable.

Archived