Voiced flirts?

Grim Squeaker

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We're getting there with the Tyris voicing. I say we, I really mean Emberwolf. All I'm doing is editing and making suggestions...

However, the point is we haven't done any voicing for Tyris' flirtpack so far. Mainly because I'm kind of torn on it. Obviously more voicing is better and I'm sure some people out there want to hear some of those raunchier lines voiced :blush: However, if the bit that Tyris says is at the end of an action based line will it seem odd?

Take this tickling flirt:

(Learning from your previous mistakes, you aim your assault lower on Tyris' sides and succeed quite successfully in making her jump. She quickly grabs your hands, squeezing them as way of punishment and then places them carefully back on her exposed skin.)

What started as mischievious tickling soon becomes something far more sensual as Tyris guides your hands, across her stomach and soon towards her lower garments.)

(However, just as your fingers slip inside, your hands are once again seized and this time placed back at your sides.) Me? A tease? Never...

If when that last line came up you immediately heard "Me? A tease? Never...", would that seem really odd? I reckon it would because at the time you'd still be reading the actiony bit that came before it. Possible solutions would be selective voicing of lines (e.g., only voice those where the dialogue is basically on its own in the line) or bumping the actual dialogue to the next line. So you'd have to press enter/continue between the "fingers slipping inside" bit and the "Me? A tease? Never...".

What do you guys and gals reckon?

I'm all for it! I do see what you mean in your example and it may be that you find a couple that just don't work out to voice but for the most part you should be able to break up the actual voiced line with the paranthetical descriptions.

Also just like any other voiced stuff it doesn't have to be then entire portion of Tyris' lines to be effective in enhancing the overall product.

I'm going to be mean and say no to voicing flirts period.

However, if you absolutely MUST (in my opinion it makes the NPC stand out as a mod a bit too much), I would suggest bumping the dialogue to the next line so it's not mixed with the action text.

I'm going to be mean and say no to voicing flirts period.

However, if you absolutely MUST (in my opinion it makes the NPC stand out as a mod a bit too much), I would suggest bumping the dialogue to the next line so it's not mixed with the action text.

An entirely valid argument. I agree it does scream mod, but on the flipside, does it scream mod with the BioWare NPCs because they're unvoiced? But they *are* what we're used to (and in fact the standard for a flirt pack)...

I'd say no to voiced flirts, especially those with action text. When the parenthetical bits are at the beginning, I'm going to be reading the parenthetical bits and listening to the voicing, and that will confuse the living hells out of me. I read very, very slowly as it is. In the end, I wouldn't get much out of either the silent part *or* the voiced part.

I'm not a fan of voiced banters under the best of circumstances. I read so slowly that the speaker gets done talking long before I'm done reading.

On the other hand, non-dyslexic people are likely to be less confused than I would be, so it's probably best to base your decisions on normal people.

Just to throw in my two coppers, it might be better if the voiced flirts were those without much action text, and if you want to maintain the seamlessness with the originals, only the first lines, or very important lines.

But if you're going with totally voiced ones, having the speech part shunted onto its own line is probably a good idea.

No matter how cool the voicing, I am definitely a big fan of "soundtrack" + "soundset", with voicing kept short and targeted to the first line of friend talks and love talks. I would vote using a song instead of a voicing for flirts. Mood-setting music, maybe?

Heh I'm sure Grim could get it voiced anyway and send it to you. :devil:

:blush: Nah, I would never preasure Grim to bug Emberwolf over one line just for me, thats so selfish .................................. of course I can be pretty selfish at times. Thanks for planting the seed :D

Archived