Commentary

SixOfSpades

Overall, an excellent mod, and an idea that I for one feel was long overdue: In the real world, it's a lot more socially acceptable (and mentally balanced) to have sex with someone than to kill someone, and it's nice to see BG begin to reflect this. So huzzah for all involved, especially you. Yes, you.

With that said, I just have to wonder: What's with all the "female human, half-elven, elven, halfling protagonists?" Over 95% of those individuals who discriminate on race have these exact same requirements--no more, no less. Are there no characters who would prefer to sleep with a Dwarf, Gnome, or Half-Orc?

I shall now give my feedback/suggestions on the prerequisites for each of the encounters.

1. Weathermistress Ada

She's the head of a major big-city temple to a Greater deity. She has the clout to demand a good-lookin' hunk of man, and she doesn't seem the type to go slumming. She should require at least 12 Charisma, and 15+ CHA if the PC's Reputation is above 13.

2. Aimi

Just for the sake of variety and because she's not in the original game, I say turn her into a Gnome and make her only consider the short races (with 7 CHA or higher) as potential partners.

3. Anishai

She seems hungry for new experiences; I would suggest that she's willing to try out any PC except Male Human Warriors or Monks.

4. Aran Linvail

As a Shadowmaster, he can enjoy the company of pretty much any lady he wants, and he's already got Tassa at his beck & call, so already you're up against some stiff competition. All we know of his tastes is that he likes his girls expensive . . . and possibly without armor. So I would have him demand at least 15 Charisma, and possibly inform his date that he expects her to dress up for the occasion: wearing metal armor to a nice dinner would be an indication of hostility, not to mention tacky. She should wear nice Robes if at all possible, and at all accounts nothing heavier than Leather. Also, if the PC's class/alignment/reputation give Aran cause to suspect that she might have something against organized crime, his conversation should probably include asking her if she eventually plans to kill him someday (meaning, his intention in getting to know the PC better was largely a means to avert that eventuality).

5. Bjornin

Requirements are just about perfect already. I would require a Charisma of at least 6: reputation is far more important to a Paladin, but then they aren't noted for their promiscuity, either.

6. Bodhi

I was going to say that she (and all the other Vampires, actually) are far too arrogant and supercilious to even consider the blanket statement (ha, that's actually a pun in this context) of "available to all male protagonists." But when you consider that she'd only be doing it for the sake of getting a small sample of what's destined to go to her brother, she should actually be open to all females as well.

7. Guildmistress Busya

She may owe the PC favors, but not necessarily that kind. So I'd implement a restriction of 11+ CHA, and possibly the same "no heavy armor" request that Aran makes.

8. Aesgareth

Judging by his avatar, he's one big fella. I would lock out Gnomes and Halflings based on those mechanics alone, and perhaps Dwarves and Elves as well. He is also highly cultured, so he should want at least 11 CHA and 13 INT.

9. Chanelle

Perfect. As a servant, she considers the PC's status as ruler of the Keep far more important than their race/gender/sex appeal/reputation . . . and she knows that pleasing her LadyLord means quite a lot of job security.

10. Coran

Considering that he just watched his (albeit treacherous) girlfriend get brutally dismembered mere minutes ago, I have trouble with the whole idea of this one. Granted, he's a playboy on the rebound, but still. It would be far better to reencounter him in Saradush or Amkethran, where he's willing to lie with a Female Elf or Half-Elf with 7+ CHA, a Dwarf or Half-Orc with 13+ CHA, or any other race with 10+ CHA. And change his friggin' butt-ugly picture, please.

11. Cyric

Given that he's a god and can take any form he wants to, racial preferences seem kind of silly. Then again, he's only been a god for 10 years, and has only recently recovered from insanity, so his original tastes might still be firmly at the fore. Still, he should care a lot more about the PC's alignment/reputation than what race she is. Should the PC's CHA be less than 10, it would be neat if Cyric cast a temporary CHA boost on her.

12. Desharik

Considering that he's got you over a barrel (or thinks he does), he should be kinda picky. Yes, he's about to dump/kill his mistress, but he also has Galvena's entire stock of girls from which to select a replacement. You've got to convince Desharik that you're more interesting than they are, for at least a little while. 13+ CHA only.

13. Dryad

Any wandering male that passes by. Yep, that sounds about right. Though one wonders why she'd go for a CE Dwarf with only 3 CHA when she had all those Paladins to choose from, only this morning . . .

14. Edwin

He's arrogant enough to demand the very best, at least from his position, and he wants someone he can dominate, but he also can't stand stupidity. So Half-Orcs and pureclassed Warriors should be out, and he should require at least 14 INT, 15 CHA, and a Virtue/Rep no higher than 11.

15. Eldoth

I'm assuming that he approaches the PC, rather than vice versa? If so, it must be because you're charming enough to interest him . . . I'd say 12+ CHA and 10+ INT, plus a Reputation of no more than 15.

16. Elhan

Any Elf, you say? That sounds about right, but I'd include Half-Elves as well, providing they have at least 8 CHA and 9 Reputation.

17. Firkraag

Since Dragons, especially Red ones, are so incredibly arrogant that they think themselves greater beings than the gods themselves, I don't think a bit of Bhaal essence and having been tutored by one of his old enemies would be sufficient to hold Firkraag's attention for all that long, not without some significant mental requirements . . . like 16 CHA and 14 INT.

18. Gaelan Bayle

He can grant you a discount on the Shadow Thieves' price . . . just how much gold are we talking, here? Given that he has little reason to consider you to be much more important than the sluts at the Coronet, the amount of gold he's willing to donate to your cause should be roughly proportionate . . . unless of course she's capable of knocking his socks off. Hey, let's give him a taste for the exotic: He prefers non-Human Rogues (pureclassed or partial) of either gender, with at least 9 CHA and 16 DEX.

19. Garren Windspear

Given that you saved his kid, restored his lands, and quite likely killed and/or scared off all Evil creatures for miles around, your own race and sex appeal seem trivial when it comes to him expressing his gratitude. And personally, I don't see why sleeping with him would violate any Paladin oaths. As long as he's willing, what harm would it cause? Are all Paladins assumed to be sworn to chastity?

20. Haer'Dalis

At least while on the Prime Material, Tieflings can hardly afford to be finicky about race, and Haer'Dalis certainly doesn't strike me as the most chaste of fellows, so let's drop the race requirement. He would, however, demand a certain grace, so he should require at least 12 in DEX, INT and CHA. And in defiance of the "Bards are fops and therefore gay, or at least bi" stereotype, Haer'Dalis is only attracted to women.

21. Hendak

Bjornin (and likely Firkraag) can sense whether or not you are Evil; Hendak cannot. All he should care about is whether or not you freed the slaves, and how much convincing it took to make you do it.

22. Ilona, a Merchant's Daughter, by Kulyok

Idle thought: Make her underage? The concept would seem to suit this character better than, for example, a recruitable Paladin from Mount Celestia. Regardless, as a starry-eyed princess-type, she should only go for tall male PCs with at least 14 CHA and who can wear Plate armor.

23. Jarlaxle

Given that he's likely interested in you because you're different, adding a stat requirement or whatnot seems irrelevant. Keep it as is.

24. A Night with Lais in Imnesvale, by Kulyok

Sure, she's desperate for some excitement--but you've still got to be more interesting than Daar, or Fael. So you need at least 9 CHA and 15 STR.

25. Laran

He's been trained in a city the size of Athkatla and yet has never been inside a tavern before? If the Radiant Heart keeps its squires as cloistered as all that, then why is he given free rein now, just when he's most likely to desert? I would amend his story, so that he's only been inside taverns a couple of times before, and this is the first time he's (seriously) talked to a girl in one, especially while he's tipsy. Heck, make Laran underage too, and give him the common "ideal damsel" fantasy (Human, Elven, or Half-Elven Female who doesn't wear Plate), as well as a thick pair of beer goggles: At least 7 Charisma is required to sleep with him, but come the morning you'll need at least 12 if you don't want to see him try to disguise his regret.

26. Lord Logan Coprith

If the encounter is as tricky as you say, perhaps you already include stat checks. Even so, if it's an intimate dinner or some such, perhaps it would be best to observe the "no metal armor or drawn weapons" suggestion . . . for both parties.

27. Mekrath

Ha! Lust for knowledge, even erotic knowledge, takes precedence over the niceties of lust for a specific person! No CHA checks for you! (Besides, he's a hermit who lives in a sewer. How picky could he be?) Should require at least 13 INT, though.

28. Mira

Since all she does is flirt, and she's working in retail, I see no reason to change anything.

29. Noober

Is he more clueless, or more desperate? Truly, a question for the ages. Keep as is, the PC meets his standards just by virtue of having a pulse.

30. Rebecca

Since she's a gypsy, she would likely tend to prefer those who not behave in a predictable, strictly Lawful manner. Also, for the sake of variety, would it be possible to make her a Half-Orc or something, with personal tastes that roughly match?

31. Renal Bloodscalp

He has a good deal of dating clout, but no apparent female attachment--in fact, Yoshimo makes a very slight implication that he might swing the other way. Hey, let's make him sick of hanging around thieves & ruffians all day: He is willing to go out with a PC of any race/gender as long as they're part Priest and/or part Wizard, they have 14 CHA or higher, and they're not Lawful Good.

32. Ribald Barterman

Requiring 13+ CHA seems about right, as he's respectable enough to be kinda picky. It might be neat, however, for him to be slightly mercenary in his attentions: No romance-related banters can take place while the party has less than 10,000 gold.

33. Sir Ryan Trawl

Let's slap some INT and WIS requirements on this one, just for the sake of encouraging people to roll a Paladin with realistic stats. How's 9 INT and 11 WIS sound? (I forget the Paladin's natural minimum on WIS)

34. Saemon Havarian

I can't decide what he'd do with Lawful types: Shun them, or try to play them? In any case, he'd probably find a Paladin too stuffy and uptight to be any fun. Ideally, he should be willing to have a fling with any Female who's not a Paladin: non-Lawful Rogues require 9+ CHA, all others require 12+ CHA.

35. Sendai

She's much more interested in your share of the Bhaal taint, and turning you from an enemy into an ally, than simply pleasing her in bed, so yes, it makes sense that she'd be willing to be with any male. But for that same reason, it seems logical that she'd be open to females, too, but perhaps it would be nice to require 13+ CHA from them, making Sendai bicurious.

36. Sheri

Seems about right. I would suggest INT and CHA requirements of at least 5, since Bards do after all have taste, even when they're dirt poor.

37. Solaufein

Nice.

38. Talak

I was going to say that having both of these encounters would be too similar, especially with Phaere in the offing, but then decided that I like how it adds to the theme. I would alter it, however, so that PCs of either gender can specify a pleasure slave of either gender--and if a Male PC requests to sleep with both Solaufein and Talak, Phaere should question him to this end before she offers herself.

39. Spell Research with Teos, by Kulyok

Given the general condescension of the Cowled Wizards (and Teos is no exception), this thing needs some kinda steep requirements: 14+ INT and 13+ CHA.

40. A Fling with Yoshimo, by Kulyok

Umm . . . I would have thought that becoming even more conflicted about the PC would be the very last thing Yoshimo would need. I can't give more feedback until I can be sure that the whole encounter actually makes some kind of sense.

Glad you liked 'em. I'm ok with Sheri having even more restrictions - Sheri, Chanelle, and Ainshen were meant to be open to as many players as could possibly make sense, but I am ok with the idea of giving them limited standards to match your ideas.

I am ok with Renal swinging both ways, but Renal was tailored to Kulyok's taste as a present to her for lots of long and hard work on recoding BG1 NPC, so what she feels meets her characterization of him is entirely up to her. She holds full rights for changes, alterations, and additions to his component for all time and into the next universal big-bang with no need for any checking with me. Heck, if she wants to use it to start a new mod/questmod/whatever, it is all hers. He was originally set up as a mirror to Sheri, with one light and the other dark, but his same-sex content was not at the same standard as the rest of the encounter - probably a failure on my imagination more than anything.

(And noober was a joke content for which i claim full responsibilty and apologise to the universe at large. Kulyok made it more FR and palatable, for which i am very glad. But I will have several years of purgatory for perpetrating him on the universe at large.)

1. Weathermistress Ada

She's the head of a major big-city temple to a Greater deity. She has the clout to demand a good-lookin' hunk of man, and she doesn't seem the type to go slumming. She should require at least 12 Charisma, and 15+ CHA if the PC's Reputation is above 13.

Maybe, but she's chaotic, so who knows what she wants?

2. Aimi

Just for the sake of variety and because she's not in the original game, I say turn her into a Gnome and make her only consider the short races (with 7 CHA or higher) as potential partners.

No. If you'd like somebody exclusively for the shorter races, you could always write an encounter, but I like Aimi the way she is. She's got the possiblity of a dark path through that encounter, and I don't want to restrict that to races that are traditionally good inclined, or at least neutral.

25. Laran

He's been trained in a city the size of Athkatla and yet has never been inside a tavern before? If the Radiant Heart keeps its squires as cloistered as all that, then why is he given free rein now, just when he's most likely to desert? I would amend his story, so that he's only been inside taverns a couple of times before, and this is the first time he's (seriously) talked to a girl in one, especially while he's tipsy. Heck, make Laran underage too, and give him the common "ideal damsel" fantasy (Human, Elven, or Half-Elven Female who doesn't wear Plate), as well as a thick pair of beer goggles: At least 7 Charisma is required to sleep with him, but come the morning you'll need at least 12 if you don't want to see him try to disguise his regret.

Sorry if you don't find his story believable. It isn't really, but I like anyway. Which means that it stays the way it is. Originally, I had charisma restrictions on it, but decided to take them out. Charisma is personal magnetism and leadership ability, not necessarily physical beauty, so I didn't think he would be around long enough to know whether or not the PC is a good leader. I don't know of any way to evaluate PC portrait beauty, and even the most beautiful people can have low charismas, so it's going to stay the way it is.

Laran will not be made underage. I would not even remotely consider it.

28. Mira

Since all she does is flirt, and she's working in retail, I see no reason to change anything.

Hey, I've got one for five!

38. Talak

I was going to say that having both of these encounters would be too similar, especially with Phaere in the offing, but then decided that I like how it adds to the theme. I would alter it, however, so that PCs of either gender can specify a pleasure slave of either gender--and if a Male PC requests to sleep with both Solaufein and Talak, Phaere should question him to this end before she offers herself.

This happens when Phaere would ordinarily be ordering the PC to sleep with her, so I don't think offering him the possiblity of a pleasure slave instead would go over too well. After all, it would be tough to argue that he's a eunuch, but... say, isn't that pleasure slave just yummy? :)

I just don't see drow as having female pleasure slaves. Even powerful males defer to females, so I don't really imagine the men of Ust Natha have female slaves at their disposal.

5. Bjornin

Requirements are just about perfect already. I would require a Charisma of at least 6: reputation is far more important to a Paladin, but then they aren't noted for their promiscuity, either.

True. I have to admit, that my thoughts went: Are there really players who give their PC a CHA value below 6?

21. Hendak

Bjornin (and likely Firkraag) can sense whether or not you are Evil; Hendak cannot. All he should care about is whether or not you freed the slaves, and how much convincing it took to make you do it.

True as well. I wouldn't mind taking out the !evil check and turning into a reputation check, rep > 11, maybe?

37. Solaufein

Nice.

Thank you, that is the first positive remark about Solaufein in the public forum. :)
18. Gaelan Bayle

He can grant you a discount on the Shadow Thieves' price . . . just how much gold are we talking, here? Given that he has little reason to consider you to be much more important than the sluts at the Coronet, the amount of gold he's willing to donate to your cause should be roughly proportionate . . . unless of course she's capable of knocking his socks off. Hey, let's give him a taste for the exotic: He prefers non-Human Rogues (pureclassed or partial) of either gender, with at least 9 CHA and 16 DEX.

He can't grant you anything, he's just a messenger. He prefers nobody, he sleeps with any willing chick. That's the joke here, it doesn't make sense to make him only interested in certain classes or races or stats.

32. Ribald Barterman

Requiring 13+ CHA seems about right, as he's respectable enough to be kinda picky. It might be neat, however, for him to be slightly mercenary in his attentions: No romance-related banters can take place while the party has less than 10,000 gold.

Your statement doesn't make sense at all - if you say so, you haven't understood what Ribald's encounter is about. He's not after a lady's money, he's a good businessman and rich enough as it is. At first, he's only interested in some fun with a beautiful woman (hence the Charisma check), but lateron, the "romance" only begins if <Charname> wants more than sex. Making his romance depend on <Charname's> income is utterly ridiculous.

23. Jarlaxle

Given that he's likely interested in you because you're different, adding a stat requirement or whatnot seems irrelevant. Keep it as is.

Yes, that is true....Jarlaxle is very much intrigued by the PC because she is different than any others he has encountered before. Thanks for the comment. :)

17. Firkraag

A Dragon and . . . a Halfling. Um. The mind boggles. I assume that regardless of the PC's race, the actual mechanics must take place with Firkraag in his Human form? Speaking of which, I've never heard of a Dragon assuming any humanoid form but Human, so I infer that they have a preference for it, and that preference would extend to any uppity lesser beings who think they have a shot at getting laid with a Dragon. If I were Firkraag, I would blow off everyone except non-Good Female Half-Orcs, Humans, or Half-Elves with at least 17 CHA, 13 INT, and 13 CON.

Uh... Play it and see what happens before you comment.

35. Sendai

She's much more interested in your share of the Bhaal taint, and turning you from an enemy into an ally, than simply pleasing her in bed, so yes, it makes sense that she'd be willing to be with any male. But for that same reason, it seems logical that she'd be open to females, too, but perhaps it would be nice to require 13+ CHA from them, making Sendai bicurious.

Same as above, I'd say.

All in all, I like it that the encounters don't have too many restrictions - I'd not want to be forced to start over and over again just to meet all the requirements.

I just don't see drow as having female pleasure slaves.

Well, actually, they do :) I was surprised myself when I've read about it in some book of War of Spider Queen novel series (horrible series BTW). Of course, the existence of such slaves is supposed to be a secret from matron mothers, but still, there *are* powerful males in drow society, powerful enough to somehow have their way.

I have to admit, that my thoughts went: Are there really players who give their PC a CHA value below 6?

Yes, those who tend to use Ring of Human Influence a lot ;)

Considering that he just watched his (albeit treacherous) girlfriend get brutally dismembered mere minutes ago, I have trouble with the whole idea of this one. Granted, he's a playboy on the rebound, but still. It would be far better to reencounter him in Saradush or Amkethran, where he's willing to lie with a Female Elf or Half-Elf with 7+ CHA, a Dwarf or Half-Orc with 13+ CHA, or any other race with 10+ CHA. And change his friggin' butt-ugly picture, please.

Well, IIRC, he wasn't really as heartbroken as it could be expected in the original game. I got a feeling he was maybe tired of Safana and her treachery worsened the deal.

To the modders: please, don't make him hit on a dwarf or halforc. It's just... well, out of character, i think :)

23. Jarlaxle Given that he's likely interested in you because you're different, adding a stat requirement or whatnot seems irrelevant. Keep it as is.

Hm, from a novel starring him (yep, I know I tend to mention FR rulebooks and fiction a lot... just like to see mods making use of existing realmslore, it really matters a lot for me) I got an impression he really likes beatiful women and won't hit on just anybody strange enough :) Although we don't really know how Adalon's spell changed PC's look. But then again, he most likely can see through such a disguise.

7. Guildmistress Busya

She may owe the PC favors, but not necessarily that kind. So I'd implement a restriction of 11+ CHA, and possibly the same "no heavy armor" request that Aran makes.

I don't think it's very unlikely that the Guildmistress would want to owe 'that' sort of favours. Her dialogue gives some impression of having such a responsibility to her work that she's shunned a lot of other things that she'd maybe hoped to do. So, if there's an opportunity, and there's a passing hero who has some manners and can say the right things, there's no reason for her to say no. Every girl has to live a little at some point.

I'm not bothered, either way, about the armour thing. He is meant to be a hero, though, so she might dig his armour and weapons for the date. As for the stat thing, I'll defer it to Kulyok.

10. Coran

I think I'm in the minority of people who quite like his original picture, so really, I'd prefer it to stay. I'm sure there's ways and means for people to change it themselves for their own games it if offends them *that* much.

Also, his relationship with Safana is... unknown, at best, to most degrees, and he's hardly Mr Faithful. I don't think this encounter takes him too much away from the attitude he emanates, and I'd rather leave him where he is than have him moved. I'd also rather not have too many stat-restrictions on him, as he's very much an opportunist. If it moves, has a pulse, and is preferably female, then he's interested.

These are just my views on the encounters though -- when I submitted them, I gave full rights to edit and amend where necessary to Kulyok, so any changes she sees fit to do are fine by me :) I trust her judgement and reasoning.

All in all, I like it that the encounters don't have to many restrictions - I'd not want to be forced to start over and over again just to meet all the requirements.

Yes, that's my opinion as well. :)

I wouldn't have included racial restrictions in Laran, either, but if I had a hard time imagining that he'd get to know a PC well enough to know how compelling she is, then I certainly couldn't imagine him getting to know a PC well enough to look past a dwarvish beard or half-orcish tusks.

And that's why the rest of the encounters I wrote don't have them. The reasons for including such restrictions are not compelling enough to me to justify making the player start a new game just to try them out.

Although we don't really know how Adalon's spell changed PC's look. But then again, he most likely can see through such a disguise.

My thoughts exactly and he does know that she is not who she claims to be. He does have his magical eye patch (which some people, if they don't know Jarlaxle, probably don't know about) and most likely sees thru the drow disguise.

I just wanted to say that tho I have never played a male PC, I actually

did for this mod because I wanted to see it all. It's just so well written

for ALL the encounters and I think they are perfect just as they are. :) well, Noober is still annoying ;) I too thought Solaufein's was great and just as

it should be. I think Teos has be my favorite tho :) His genuine

concern for the PC and desire to get to know her better is very sweet.

I'd love to see a second encounter with him. Anyway, for what it's worth,

there's my 2 cents :)

4. Aran Linvail

Available to: female protagonists

I find it difficult to believe that a Shadowmaster will drop trou for any female PC who enters his sight radius, especially since he's already got Tassa at his beck & call.

Ah...I don't want to be spoilerish, however the encounter doesn't resolve as you seem to be assuming. After all it is RE (Romantic Encounters) and not SM (SexMod...not the other thing :) )

I'm not a big fan of too many restrictions. For one thing it will mean more stuff to put in the readme or a whole lot of threads asking why such and such encounter didn't work.

Another vote for *not* adding a lot of restrictions to encounters. (I see a fair number of players with 6 charisma - "Why won't Minsc talk to me in Nashkell?" - but people who min-max their characters probably aren't your core audience.)

Quite a lot of SoS's suggestions are based on the idea that every one of these encounters actually involves sex of some kind, and they don't necessarily. Better to have actually played each of them before offering a lot of suggestions for changes, I should think.

Archived