Photo

Spell Revisions v4beta15

231 replies to this topic

#226 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp

• Modders
  • 6714 posts
  • Location:The town where the dead haven't keeled over, yet. In Finland.

Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:53 AM

I also think Haste spells should benefit casters as well as warriors.

It does. Mage is not just a caster, it can attack, while primarily using spells ... it might be bad at hitting stuff in melee, but give them a bow/sling and up their ApR, and they can be ranged attackers. Now that doesn't mean that they can take on party of 6 fighters, unless you summon stuff to aid, but that too just powers up the hastes effects. In my opinion, the hastes should have restrictions like, "up to 6 creatures". Casting time of +anything is OP as HELL, as well as any alacrity, as there's a specific spell for that AT 9th level.

We are talking about the custom fatigue that fades away in a real world minutes, K? That's fine. On hastes spell duration is somewhat in definite about. It's a combat spell, so the 10 rounds sounds fine... or it could be 3 +1/3 levels rounds starting from the level 5, up to 10.

Welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand.
Here's how to install all the ... mods you ever really could want to Infinity Engine games. I removed the stable word from there as Roxanne began to add BS mods that are likely to break compatibility from the BWS.

#227 DrAzTiK

DrAzTiK
  • Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 10:52 AM

In my opinion vanilla haste (level3) is op and unfair on vanilla  because we can have a lot of  benefits from better speed while IA will not take advantages about it so much.

If haste (level 3) remain to be a AoE spell, at least it should be less powerfull in comparaison to vanilla one.

Of course the effects would have to be reduced if they are spread to the entire party (not to mention summons etc.) Both Bartimeus and I have, in the past, separately advocated this:
- Haste: +0.5 APR, fatigue after 10 rounds
- Imp. Haste: +1 APR, no fatigue

I like it 

For what is worth I always play with the component  " use BG walking speeds" (tweak anthology forum) because the increase of speed really makes fights easier and unfair for IA.

Edited by DrAzTiK, 09 September 2018 - 11:08 AM.

#228 Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus
  • Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:36 AM

Yeah, SRR already has your basic idea of Haste & Improved Haste with the exception of casting speed. Decreasing casting speed is *insanely* strong. I've always felt weird about IR's Metaspell amulet because of it - it's so weird to get such a strong amulet so immediately in the game. This would definitely be something you'd have to test, and my guess is that it would strongly benefit the player more than AI in 99% of cases. However...it wouldn't hold a candle to the original Haste opcode still (which was mega broken IIRC), and it is kind of unfortunate that for pure mages, SR's Haste isn't currently of too much use. I would recommend the basic changes you suggested, but would strongly advise caution on doing anything with casting speed for the time being.

@Jarno: I don't think it's possible to do a "only up to 6 creatures"-type AoE projectile, though it is possible to make it apply to only party members. I don't think it's necessary if the spell only grants move speed bonus and +1/2 ApR and nothing else, especially when no other AoE buff has that sort of targeting, though.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 11 September 2018 - 09:37 AM.

#229 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modders
  • 2627 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:59 AM

Decreasing casting speed is *insanely* strong.

How so? (IA cheese excepted, of course. Or is it just down to IA cheese?)

Faiths & Powers: Spell spheres and kit pack for priests and paladins
Might & Guile: Tweaks and kits for warriors and rogues
Scales of Balance: Game tweaks and rule overhauls
NPC_EE: More options for NPCs in BGEE, SoD, & BG2EE

#230 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp

• Modders
  • 6714 posts
  • Location:The town where the dead haven't keeled over, yet. In Finland.

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:20 PM

@Jarno: I don't think it's possible to do a "only up to 6 creatures"-type AoE projectile,

Sure you can. Just summon invisible creature that targets 1st to 6th closest allied creature, appies the effect, and kills itself.

Welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand.
Here's how to install all the ... mods you ever really could want to Infinity Engine games. I removed the stable word from there as Roxanne began to add BS mods that are likely to break compatibility from the BWS.

#231 kjeron

kjeron
  • Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:54 PM

@Jarno: I don't think it's possible to do a "only up to 6 creatures"-type AoE projectile, though it is possible to make it apply to only party members. I don't think it's necessary if the spell only grants move speed bonus and +1/2 ApR and nothing else, especially when no other AoE buff has that sort of targeting, though.

It's simple in EE through the projectile:

Offset 0x200: BIT15

Offset 0x244: 6

Offset 0x246: 1

Hits 6d1 targets.

#232 Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus
  • Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:18 PM

Decreasing casting speed is *insanely* strong.

How so? (IA cheese excepted, of course. Or is it just down to IA cheese?)

It just makes spell interruptions so much rarer in my experience. AI is already bad enough at causing them - with Haste granting another +1, yikes.

@Jarno & kjeron: Alright, I stand corrected.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users