Problems with OSX versions of G3 Mods

Gorilym

Ok, I've been having some trouble trying to install some OSX G3 Mods, among them Mur'Neth (I suppose I could post in each of the mods' forums, but that seems rather redundant, seeing as the problems are essentially of the same nature.).

For one thing, none of the install scripts / .command work. At all. This may be an incompatibility introduced somewhere along the way to OS 10.4.4*, but it's odd nonetheless. In any case, it's not a big deal, the mods can be easily installed from the command line.

However, in the case of Mur'Neth & the BG1NPC Musicpack, the audio install scripts are broken as well. In the former case the script seems not properly "translated", in the latter it looks for the .ogg files in the wrong place. Now, I was eventually able to get around these issues, but I just thought I'd let you know that currently these mods are not fully converted.

So long, and thanks for all the groovy modding! :)

* This could of course be a local issue, but seeing that non-G3 .command files still work I tend to doubt it.

How are you extracting the files? We've had issues in the past with some extraction programs making everything non-executable, hence failures of .command files. For Mur'Neth and BG1NPC Music, I'll look at the scripts.

I use UnRarX, easily the most common GUI for expanding RAR archives on the Mac. It hasn't been updated in quite a while though, so I guess I can try the newest CLI version instead.

UnRarX was, I believe, he sulprit in previous cases. StuffIt, which comes with OS X, should extract rar files without fubar'ing the flags.

StuffIt isn't actually included with OS X anymore, (starting with 10.4 if I recall correctly) and the reason I installed UnRarX in the first place was ironically that StuffIt didn't extract (many) RAR files properly :) . This may have changed with updates, so I'll try both the RAR CLI & the most recent StuffIt and see what happens.

Ah, didn't know that. I use OS X 10.3 at work and it has StuffIt. If it's no longer included on newer versions we're going to have to find an alternative compression format (don't mention .sit--I need something I can generate from my home PC). Would zip files work?

Ah, didn't know that. I use OS X 10.3 at work and it has StuffIt. If it's no longer included on newer versions we're going to have to find an alternative compression format (don't mention .sit--I need something I can generate from my home PC). Would zip files work?

I don't see any problem with using zip files. While not the most technically advanced option, it's easily the most universally accessible, and as far as Macs go, it's the built-in standard as of 10.4.

I've now tried expanding the RAR archives with the current RAR CLI, which like using the older UnRarX resulted in messed up .command files. The newest StuffIt Expander got the job done properly, but seeing as .zip is now standard it would still make sense to use that instead of .rar or .sit. (I suspect one of the reasons for Apple ditching StuffIt from 10.4 was the rather unpredictable nature of it's developer - install an update, and all of a sudden older archives couldn't be expanded etc.)

Which leads me to another issue. The Mur'Neth .command file was now recognized as an executable script, but it failed to - umm, execute. That is, until i changed the names of the .tp2 and WeiDU-executable, removing the apostrophe from Mur'Neth in both instances. After this it would run properly, leaving only the problem with the audio-install script, which I eventually gave up on to convert the .oggs manually.

Looking at the BG1NPC Music audio-install script again, the error is simply that it looks for the .oggs in the same folder as the script is in, while it should be looking in the sounds folder.

In order to successfully install OSX Mur'Neth v6 I found some tweaking to be necessary - for one thing the apostrophes in Mur'Neth had to be removed from both the .tp2 (title and contents) and the mod directory, otherwise WeiDU would refuse to even initialise properly. Also, the .tp2 looks for its audio install script in the wrong directory.

In order to successfully install OSX Mur'Neth v6 I found some tweaking to be necessary - for one thing the apostrophes in Mur'Neth had to be removed from both the .tp2 (title and contents) and the mod directory, otherwise WeiDU would refuse to even initialise properly. Also, the .tp2 looks for its audio install script in the wrong directory.

Both of these issues exist in v7 of the Mac files.

[edit]I remembered how to fix the audio problem  mur'neth needs to change to murneth in the audioin and out .sh files as well as the .tp2 and directory.

Archived