Active Crossmod Author's Corner: Tashia

cmorgan

One of my favorite NPCs - all these are by me, but hopefully Bri or Lord Ernie will wander by and make changes or suggestions.

File: aranw_aware\aranaware_tashia_SoAbanters.d

/* SoA Banters: Tashia<>Aran : High Spirits : cmorgan */
CHAIN IF ~Global("c-tashia1aran","GLOBAL",0)
InParty(Myself) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
CombatCounter(0) !See([ENEMY])~
THEN BTASHIA tashia1arantalk
~[TASHIA] Rather gloomy, aren't you?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-tashia1aran","GLOBAL",1)~
== C-ARANB ~[ARAN] Aye, then, lass, I think you have a mite bit o' th' truth there. Down just a little, I think.~
== BTASHIA ~[TASHIA] So, how about a riddle?~
== C-ARANB ~[ARAN] No, not now, as I got naught for spirited talk. You seem a mite down yourself, there. You got an interestin' familiar, some tough magic, an' you be travelin' with us. What's th' matter wi' you, to bring you so far down?~
== BTASHIA ~[TASHIA] Well, that's really no one's concern but mine. Personal matters... you understand, I'm sure.~
== C-ARANB ~[ARAN] Sure. I understand. Here, lass... have a nip from this flask. It may not solve anythin', but it will warm up your insides.~
== BTASHIA ~[TASHIA] I would think so... I can smell it from here!~
== C-ARANB ~[ARAN] Sometimes a nip o' somthin' what can kick a lad or lass will do wonders. Spirits for to raise your spirits, eh?~
== BTASHIA ~[TASHIA] I don't know...~
== C-ARANB ~[ARAN] Well, suit yourself. Th' offer's always available.~
EXIT
[code]

And now for a little moe fun - let's play with the blanket idea that Tashia has between Jaheira and Aerie, only throwing a slightly different light on thins - a riff in the key of flirt, if Tashia and Aerie are in the party with Aran:

[code]
APPEND C-ARANB

/* SoA Banters: Aran<>Tashia : no romance with PC with either Aran or Tashia, and even better if you have both Tashia and Aerie in the party...  : cmorgan */
IF ~!Global("TashiaRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) !Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",2) Global("c-aran1tashia","GLOBAL",0)
InParty("tashia") InMyArea("tashia") !StateCheck("tashia",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
CombatCounter(0) !See([ENEMY])~ THEN BEGIN c-aran1tashiatalk
 SAY ~[ARAN] Oh, nice an' soft... just th' right sort o' thing. I'll just be packin' this up, an'...~
 IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aran1tashia","GLOBAL",1)~ EXTERN BTASHIA c-aran1tashiastart
END

IF ~~ c-aran1tashiafour
 SAY ~[ARAN] Now, I doubt that would end so well for me. I done learned a long time ago that pleasin' a woman be a full time occupation, an' splittin' forces leads to disaster.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXTERN BTASHIA c-aran1tashiaseven
END

IF ~~ c-aran1tashiafive
 SAY ~[ARAN] Now, while that be a right entertainin' thought, I was actually talkin' to you, Tashia.~
 IF ~~ EXTERN BTASHIA c-aran1tashiaseven
END

IF ~~ c-aran1tashiasix
 SAY ~[ARAN] Now, while that be a right entertainin' thought, I was actually talkin' to you, Aerie.~
 IF ~~ EXTERN BAERIE c-aran1tashiaeight
END

END

CHAIN C-ARANB c-aran1tashiaone
~[ARAN] Well, I might be in a right fine position to share it wi' you...~
== BTASHIA ~[TASHIA] Are you suggesting what I think you are suggesting?~
== C-ARANB ~[ARAN] Now, you be a woman o' th' world, an' a beautiful one at that. Why should I not ask?~
END
IF ~~ THEN EXTERN BTASHIA c-aran1tashiaseven

CHAIN BAERIE c-aran1tashiatwo
~[AERIE] No, that is mine! How did we get these all mixed up?~
== C-ARANB ~[ARAN] Well, I might be in a right fine position to share it wi' you...~
== BTASHIA ~[TASHIA] Are you suggesting what I think you are suggesting?~
== BAERIE ~[AERIE] Wh- what is he suggesting?~
== C-ARANB ~[ARAN] Now, you be a woman o' th' world, an' a beautiful one at that. Why should I not ask?~
== BAERIE ~[AERIE] Aran, are you talking to me, or to her? Ask what?~
END
IF ~~ THEN EXTERN BTASHIA c-aran1tashiathree

APPEND BTASHIA

IF ~~ c-aran1tashiastart
 SAY ~[TASHIA] Hey! That's my blanket you're taking!~
 IF ~InParty("aerie") InMyArea("aerie") StateCheck("aerie",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~  THEN EXTERN BAERIE c-aran1tashiatwo
 IF ~OR(3) !InParty("aerie") !InMyArea("aerie") StateCheck("aerie",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN EXTERN C-ARANB c-aran1tashiaone
END

IF ~~ c-aran1tashiathree
 SAY ~[TASHIA] For all we know, he might be talking to us both.~
 IF ~RandomNum(3,3)~ THEN EXTERN C-ARANB c-aran1tashiafour
 IF ~RandomNum(3,2)~ THEN EXTERN C-ARANB c-aran1tashiafive
 IF ~RandomNum(3,1)~ THEN EXTERN C-ARANB c-aran1tashiasix
END

END

CHAIN BTASHIA c-aran1tashiaseven
~[TASHIA] I see someone has a growing appreciation for the possibility of female companionship.~
== C-ARANB ~[ARAN] Do you be usin' some sort o' sorcerous ways to see right through these clothes o' mine?~
== BTASHIA ~[TASHIA] No, no... I just know the way men's minds work.~
== BTASHIA ~[TASHIA] Nice try, Aran, but I have my Peanelian to keep me warm.~
== C-ARANB ~[ARAN] I do admit he can do that right well, but I might have some more ways o' pleasin' you, you know.~
== BTASHIA ~[TASHIA] Oh, I don't know...~
== C-ARANB ~[ARAN] You can't be naught in th' way o' serious.~
== BTASHIA ~[TASHIA] Hehe... You should see your face!~
== C-ARANB ~[ARAN] You might think on it a bit, you know, all jokin' aside. You be a fine lookin' lass.~
EXIT

CHAIN BAERIE c-aran1tashiaeight
~[AERIE] I... Oh. You are... You are?~
== C-ARANB ~[ARAN] I have been admirin' you for some time now, Aerie. I wouldn't speak so bold if I hadn't seen your eyes come my direction more than a few times, eh?~
== BTASHIA ~[TASHIA] I see someone has a growing appreciation for the possibility of female companionship.~
== C-ARANB ~[ARAN] Do you be usin' some sort o' sorcerous ways to see right through these clothes o' mine?~
== BTASHIA ~[TASHIA] No, no... I just know the way men's minds work.~
== BAERIE ~[AERIE] You... you were talking to me.~
== BTASHIA ~[TASHIA] Now I can't decide which of you two is blushing brighter. Should I just leave you two lovebirds alone?~
== BAERIE ~[AERIE] NO! No... I mean, please don't go. I... I don't think Aran is suggesting...~
== BTASHIA ~[TASHIA] Believe me, he is.~
== C-ARANB ~[ARAN] Belive me, I am.~
== BAERIE ~[AERIE] Oh! Oh my!~
== BTASHIA ~[TASHIA] Was her grabbing the blanket and running off hiding her face in it part of your master plan, loverboy?~
== C-ARANB ~[ARAN] Sune's Sweet Smile, I thought I was makin' time right well. Damnation on my blighted tongue.~
== BTASHIA ~[TASHIA] Sometimes a girl does like attention. Just don't go overboard.~
EXIT

installed and tested.

And of course the ToB ones: Two riddles.

/* ToB Banters: Tashia<>Aran : Riddle Me This... : cmorgan */
CHAIN IF ~Global("c-tashia3aran","GLOBAL",0)
InParty("c-aran") InMyArea("c-aran") !StateCheck("c-aran",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)  
THEN BTASHI25 c-tashia3arantalk
~[TASHIA] Tell me a riddle, Aran.~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-tashia3aran","GLOBAL",1)~
== C-ARN25B ~[ARAN] Well, now, let me think. How about this - I sing with the voice o' an angel or demon, an' I'm always bowin' an' scrapin' away. But remore the hair o' a horse from my side, an' I cannot come out an' play.~
== BTASHI25 ~[TASHIA] That one is easy. It's a fiddle.~
== C-ARN25B ~[ARAN] Aye, that's right. Your turn...~
== BTASHI25 ~[TASHIA] I have told you many, and you have told me few. You can balance the scales.~
== C-ARN25B ~[ARAN] Right, then... a tough one for you. Somethin' not quite ordinary...~
== C-ARN25B ~[ARAN] I rise in my pouch, swell, an' lift my covering proudly. A bride grasps my bonelessness, an' in time she will cover th' swellin'.~ /* Midaevil riddle... Essex collection? Wessex? Can't remember... */
== BTASHI25 ~[TASHIA] You can't fool me. That is bread dough!~
== C-ARN25B ~[ARAN] Well, now, I never did say I was good at these games. I'm more of a 'hands on, kind o' man, if you know what I mean.~
== BTASHI25 ~[TASHIA] So I see. You can move that hand, now. (must... resist... the urge... to hit...)~
== C-ARN25B ~[ARAN] Oh, blighted hells... sorry about that. Old habits die hard.~
== BTASHI25 ~[TASHIA] Not as hard as you will, if you 'forget' again, my friend!~
EXIT

/* ToB Banters: Aran<>Tashia : Riddle Me That... : cmorgan */
CHAIN IF ~Global("c-aran3tashia","GLOBAL",0)
InParty("tashia") InMyArea("tashia") !StateCheck("tashia",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)  
THEN C-ARN25B c-aran3tashiatalk
~[ARAN] Right, then... you be lookin' right chipper an' interested. You want another riddle?~
DO ~SetGlobal("c-aran3tashia","GLOBAL",1)~
== BTASHI25 ~[TASHIA] I will trade you one for the other, unless I have heard it before.~
== C-ARN25B ~[ARAN] A strange thing hides in a man's clothes, concealed until he brings it forth an' puts it to good use.
It has a hole in its head, is stiff an' strong, an' it fits th' place it were designed for right proper.
When he returns to hearth an' home, it slips gently into th' place it has often filled before,
but on occasion it requires him to fiddle an' poke about until it grants release.
What be it?~
== BTASHI25 ~[TASHIA] Now that is an interesting one. I think I know what you are trying to do, but I see right through it. The answer is "a key"!~
== C-ARN25B ~[ARAN] Sune's Sweet Sigh, I get naught in th' way o' foolin' you! Your turn, eh?~
== BTASHI25 ~[TASHIA] Well, if you want bawdy, I am not afraid of lifting a few eyebrows. Try this one on...~
== BTASHI25 ~[TASHIA] A finger goes in me, and you fiddle with me from time to time, turning me round and round, for I delight in all positions. The best man always has me first, but he hands me over to you when it is time to please me. I bind you with sweetness, but separate me from you after joining with me and the penalty is disastrous.~
== C-ARN25B ~[ARAN] I can think o' three answers, two o' which will get me slapped right hard, an' one o' which will turn me into a light snack for Peanelian.~
== BTASHI25 ~[TASHIA] Oh, come on, silly. Be a man. Answer!~
== C-ARN25B ~[ARAN] I have naught in th' way o' a clean answer, an' I just know it be one... I give. What be th' answer?~
== BTASHI25 ~[TASHIA] A wedding ring!~
== C-ARN25B ~[ARAN] Well, no wonder I had no thought o' what th' answer were to be. That be th' one thing that trumps flyin' undead lich-dragons in my book. Nothin' scarier than a lass wi' one o' those bands showin' in her starry eyes!~
EXIT

Installed and tested.

I will look at it tomorrow, but I see nothing wrong with these dialogues.

However, just looking at the riddles you mentioned for ToB, I am fairly sure that one, and maybe both were used in some form in Tashia in a lovetalk. And yes, they were from the Exeter book of riddles. Good book, if for no other reason than to show that the people of the past weren't as 'prudish' as many modern day people portray them as ;)

Thanks! I"ll double-check on the closeness of the FR-izarion. Probably the most fun thing to do would be to check for her romance being active, and put together another to play if it is. Tons of good stuff out there; I can set that up pretty quickly!

I hope my stuff makes sense...I'm on break from work at the moment.

However, note that you don't have to change anything on my account. Tashia is open sourced, after all :)

Anyways, just some comments (starting from the top).

High Spirits section:

The dialogue itself is fine, though Tashia asking Aran if he wants a riddle is a tad abrupt. Maybe something along the lines of:

Aran:...Down just a little, I think

Tashia: Well, if I can help, let me know. Sometimes...well, sometimes it helps to take your mind off your problems. How about a riddle?

Note: I put in the sometimes as a slightly bigger emphasis that Tashia herself feels down.

Just a slight quibble in the next one. You have:

BTASHIA ~[TASHIA] Are you suggesting what I think you are suggesting?~

I would recommend the 'you are' to contraction the 'you're'.

Another line:

== BTASHIA ~[TASHIA] Was her grabbing the blanket and running off hiding her face in it part of your master plan, loverboy?~

This feels a little cumbersome.

I would leave ou the 'running off'. If someone is hiding their face in a blanket, then the assumption is there they fled.

Otherwise, everything else looks good to me.

Riddle Me This:

The first riddle is good (the one with the violin). I know I didn't use it, and has a hint of the playful about it.

The other riddles:

I do like your take with how Tashia replied to them. She has used them in some lovetalks with the Bhaalspawn. There is no reason for you to change your dialogue, though. Good, bawdy riddles can be hard to come by.

Addendum:

However, if you wish, I can also look up to see if I have some other bawdy riddles like those once I get home. Of course, the dialogues themselves are fine, and if you wish to include what you have, you have my approval :)

leaving them in (with your edits) for non-romancers, since lovetalks don't play for non-romancers.

Actually, you make a very good point that I didn't even think of...those who don't play the romance (for a variety of reasons) certainly may not see those riddles.

If I can't come up with anything else, then all the more reason to include your ToB riddles then.

Here is one I just remembered I had. It is too long to insert, but it does give some alternative verses to the last ToB (A possible starting off point). Sorry if it seems like I'm spamming your thread.

My pretty maid, fain would I know,

What thing it is 'twill breed delight,

That strives to stand, that cannot go,

That feeds the mouth that cannot bite.

It is a pretty pricking thing,

A pleasing and a standing thing.

It was the truncheon Tempus did use,

A bedward bit that maidens choose.

It is a friar with a bald head,

A staff to beat a cuckold dead.

It is a wand that shoots point blank,

It hits between a maiden's flank.

It is a shaft of Sylvanus' cut,

'Twill serve to rove, to prick, to butt.

'Twas ne'er a maid but by her will,

Will keep it in her quiver still.

It has a head much like a mole's,

And yet it loves to creep in holes.

The fairest maid that e'er took life,

For love of this became a wife

Here is another one that is much shorter that is bawdy (though quality isn't as fine as the Exeter ones):

Between two legs the living flesh ambles,

Between two buttocks the living flesh trembles,

And when it comes to the door,

Its master knocks.

(the answer is horse and rider)

Obviously, this doesn't have the written quality of the Exeter riddles, but it could be expanded on.

A tad shorter:

Stick, wet, loose, pull,

if it doesn't fit then lick the end.

(the answer is needle and thread)

Further confirmation:

Those riddles you put up are definitely used in lovetalks in Tashia, but not in the general list of 'riddles' (I just got finished looking through them). I will put up a few more when I get a tad bit more time (long hours at work tend to make my brain into mush)

A few more riddles. Not quite as bardic as the Exeter riddles, but they could be expanded:

You stick your pole inside me. You tie me down to get me up. I get wet before you do. What am I?

A tent

A finger goes in me. You fiddle with me when you're bored. The best man always has me first. What am I?

A wedding ring.

Archived