Unable to find dialog.tk (Item 3.1/Spell 3.1)

Space Joker

(Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition)

I've been trying to install these mods, but when I run the setup exe it automatically says "Installing in it_it", because I've also installed the italian language using another mod. The problem is that I don't play with the italian language, and in-game (after the mod installation) all names and descriptions of items/spells are "invalid: ########". I've been trying to reinstalling the whole game 5 times, but If I don't install the Italian language, when I run the mod installer, it says "Unable to find dialog.tk in dialog.tk" etc... But that file is actually in the en_US folder. So, long story short:

-Exact same way of installing the mod

-With italian language, it automatically install the mods using the italian folder and it works (with the invalid error)

-Without italian language, it doesn't "recognize" the english folder.

Please help, it's been two days that I'm trying to make these mods work T.T

PS: I was looking for the "Cleric Ranger Spell List" line in Baldur.ini, because I wanted all the druid spells for Cleric/Ranger. Searched multiple times but couldn't find it, so I added it by my own, but I don't think it would work. Any clue about that? Also, where do I have to put the "Portraits" folder that I've created for the custom portraits? 'Cause it doesn't work.

First off, I don't think those versions of the mods work on the enhanced editions. You'll want to use the IR v4 and SR v4 betas, instead. I'll PM you the details.

There are a few things to keep in mind about languages. Each mod may have multiple translations and it doesn't matter which of these you choose. If you had a game with everything in English, you could install the French translation of a mod, and when you played the game, everything would remain in English except for any new French text added by the mod.

Each time you install a mod, if you have a choice of translations, it will appear like this:

Choose your language:
 0 [English]
 1 [Francais]

The other aspect of languages relates to the enhanced editions. In contrast to the original games, which only support one language, the enhanced editions support many different languages (with the text stored in many different folders). When you choose a language for the game (in the options menu), it loads the text from one of those folders.

Now, when you install a WeiDU mod for the first time, it will ask you which language you plan on using. All text added by that mod and all future mods will be added to the language directory you specified. So, when you start your game, it's important that the language you play in matches the language you told WeiDU you were going to play in.

This is what it looks like when WeiDU asks you which language you will be playing the game in:

Please choose the language in which you wish to play the game.
If you later wish to play the game in a different language you will need to edit
 the file weidu.conf and reinstall your mods.
 0 [Czech]
 1 [German]
 2 [English]
 3 [Spanish]
 4 [French]
 5 [Italian]
 6 [Japanese]
 7 [Korean]
 8 [Polish]
 9 [Portuguese]
10 [Russian]
11 [Turkish]
12 [Ukrainian]
13 [Simplified Chinese]

Regarding baldur.ini and the portraits folder, both of these can be found in your user documents folder (C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition). I'm not sure why the cleric/ranger change wouldn't be working if you are on BG2EE v1.3 or above.

I still haven't figured out if Cleric/Ranger works, I'm not an expert of BD2, but my character (level 1, just began) has the Priest Spellbook just from Level 1 to level 3, and my cleric was around level 7 if I'm not mistaken.

The problem is that I've tried to reinstall those mods right after reinstalling the whole game, without installing any additional language. It doesn't even ask me "choose your language", it does just prompts "fatal error: unable to find dialog.tk" and when I have the italian language installed, it automatically install the mods in that folder, even if sometimes it asks me "choose your language".

I had to create the portraits folder, but I don't have the "custom" button during the portraits selection.

Thanks for the links, I'll definetely try those version later.

If you're ever doing a fresh reinstall, make sure you delete weidu.conf - it will save your language preference and force later mod installations to use it. If you delete that file, the next mod you install will once again ask you which language to use.

As for the cleric/ranger thing, not every EE game has that .ini setting. IWDEE v1.4 has it, but BGEE and BG2EE are still on the v1.3 patch - and the "1.3" patch works differently on each game. One of them (I forget which) works the old way, giving you all druid spells. The other works the new way, but has the .ini setting to undo it.

So, if you're not seeing the .ini setting, you don't need to do anything - the game is already working as you want it to.

Archived